Author Topic: Round Table Sauce Recipe needed in New Zealand...pleeeeease!  (Read 5226 times)

Offline pizzadownunder

• I Love Pizza!
Round Table Sauce Recipe needed in New Zealand...pleeeeease!
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:57:28 PM »
Hi all,
As an American living in New Zealand, I have not found a good pizza at all!  Some places even use ketchup as sauce - yyyyyuck! You can see the predicament I am in (plus flying there for a pizza adds an extra $1,500 to the cost of the pizza!)

I have a good crust, but I am dying for the spiciness of Round Table sauce and wondered if anyone had an equivalent. 

Many thanks!

Dave

Offline The Pizza Gorn

Re: Round Table Sauce Recipe needed in New Zealand...pleeeeease!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »
Hello Pizzadownunder,

I too have been searching for this elusive recipe. I worked at round table as a kid. I remember making the sauce in a large bucket we used hunts tomato paste at a 1 to 1 ratio with water and then added a large packet of seasonings. "But alas" this packet was only marked "sauce".  I cant believe how well guarded this recipe is. However I am working on it and getting closer. The best breakthrough so far has been the use of unusual amounts of anise and fennel. when I bite into a roundtable pizza what I notice is the sauce has an almost spicy licorice taste. This along with the use of cheddar cheese is what I believe makes a round table pizza unique. most pizzas contain either no cheddar or very little of it. When I worked there, we used tons on each pizza.... God my mouth is watering. I will be experimenting again tomorrow. If I crack the code I will post the recipe. 

Pizza Gorn Out!