Author Topic: Meat the Candidates!  (Read 897 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Meat the Candidates!
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
I wonder if this thread will get locked on posting the links alone, or if we'll have to wait till it gets out of hand, first?  >:D
http://pizzagoon.com/uncategorized/meat-the-candidates/
(pizza goon is an amazing pizza blog for those interested)

here's another link to the local paper story about it.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/09/25/edible-elections.html

interestingly enough, i'd order the meat romney just because it's a better name. interesting marketing attempt. Can't wait till the votes are counted on October 25th.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Meat the Candidates!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
Seems more well suited for http://thisiswhyyourefat.tumblr.com/

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
"Not gourmet enough? Not consistant with the norms of our society and it’s glorious culinary history that includes the Twinkie, Velveeta, deep fried pickles, Spam and Count Chocula? That so-called ”food” may be awful, harmful, nasty and downright sickening, but we’ve all eaten and enjoyed it at some time or another."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
I think Avalanche Pizza confuses gourmand with gourmet.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
To that end, I don't believe there is such a thing as "gourmet pizza."

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
i had to look up gourmand...  :-[

here's what wikipedia has to say about it;

A gourmand is a person who takes great pleasure in food; a person given to excess in the consumption of food and drink; a greedy or ravenous eater. The word has different connotations from the similar word gourmet, which emphasises an individual with a highly refined discerning palate, but in practice the two terms are closely linked, as both imply the enjoyment of good food.

this suggests that any pizza that accommodates the highly refined discerning palate would be gourmet. your level of pizza making would surely meet that criteria.

This is the only pie where I put the speck, prosciutto, etc. on before the bake. For this pie, it works. It would not be anywhere near as good if added post bake.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
My wife tells me I've become a food snob... I blame Craig.   :-D
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
I blame Craig.  

Get in line behind my wife. :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
i had to look up gourmand...  :-[

here's what wikipedia has to say about it;

A gourmand is a person who takes great pleasure in food; a person given to excess in the consumption of food and drink; a greedy or ravenous eater. The word has different connotations from the similar word gourmet, which emphasises an individual with a highly refined discerning palate, but in practice the two terms are closely linked, as both imply the enjoyment of good food.

this suggests that any pizza that accommodates the highly refined discerning palate would be gourmet. your level of pizza making would surely meet that criteria.

Thank you for the kind words. I think the definition you cite describes a gourmet person (as opposed to a gourmand though you are not necessarily one or the other) and not necessarily gourmet food which I see closer to the Wiki definition of gourmet: "elaborate preparations and presentations of aesthetically balanced meals of several contrasting, often quite rich courses."

To me, pizza is simple food - peasant food as it is often described in Naples - even if you ramp up the toppings. That it can be so simple and yet so difficult at the same time is what draws me to pizza.

Just one opinion.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
To me, pizza is simple food - peasant food as it is often described in Naples - even if you ramp up the toppings. That it can be so simple and yet so difficult at the same time is what draws me to pizza.

I'm the exact opposite of Brian..... Because of Craig, Jon, and a few others I've started enjoying foods that none of my friends and family will eat (heart, ears, liver, etc. LOL). Oh, and truffle oil. No one I know likes the pungency of it, but I guess some would consider that a snobby food.

But yeah, the simple yet hard aspect of baking was one of the reasons I was drawn to bread and eventually pizza too. Just the smallest of changes makes all the difference in the end, and the whole trip getting to your ideal is what makes it so enjoyable. There is always something you could improve upon.

BTW, this is one of those instances where something that isn't pizza is being called pizza. Without a flour based crust, this is just a cheese topped meat patty.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:38:53 PM by rcbaughn »
More is better..... and too much is just right.