Author Topic: Tonight's Bake  (Read 574 times)

Offline vtn98

Tonight's Bake
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Well, I had pizza dough so why not make pizza?  I used my sourdough crust recipe posted earlier this week and the dough was cold fermenting in the fridge for 4 days.

First I removed the doughs from the fridge about 3 hours before baking to let them warm to room temperature.  Then I hand stretched with a little flour on the counter, built the pizza and baked on a pizza stone preheated to 550F for about an hour.  Baked for 5 minutes, then turned on the broiler for another 4 minutes.  It was low enough in the oven so the broiler didn't burn it, but gave my top crust a nice golden color, almost like it was wood-fired.  Removed from the oven and let set on a cooling rack for about 3 minutes before cutting in to it. 

It tasted delicious and the dough was light and airy, crispy and chewy, with good sourdough bread flavor.

Here are some pictures.  Enjoy!

1.  Dough after coming to room temperature
2.  Crust stretched out and ready for toppings
3.  Just in the oven
4.  Fresh out of the oven
5.  Pic of the bottom color
6.  Crumb structure.  Thin almost New York-style with good sized bubbles at the edge
7.  Even thin, it holds up to all the toppings pretty well.  Good structure and not droopy!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tonight's Bake
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
Fantastic! You got a great crumb and color. Looks very tasty.

John

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:47 AM »
That looks a lot like how my Mellow Mushroom dough browns up, really dark but not burnt at all. Was there a lot of sugar in the recipe? I missed your earlier post. I guess it's probably from all the fermentation.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline vtn98

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »
That looks a lot like how my Mellow Mushroom dough browns up, really dark but not burnt at all. Was there a lot of sugar in the recipe? I missed your earlier post. I guess it's probably from all the fermentation.

Here's where I posted my recipe and process.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21110.0.html

I don't add extra sugar to my dough at all.  Just flour, water, salt and some seasonings.