Author Topic: Hydration vs. Temperature - What's the ratio?  (Read 7300 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Hydration vs. Temperature - What's the ratio?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »

I tried my high hydration dough last night, at about 750 F, and ended up with burn marks on the bottom that were not very appetizing.  Just flour, water, salt, yeast and a little olive oil in the dough, no milk or sugar.  Also, the dough, while very tasty, was pale and not crisp.  I attributed this to the high hydration....  ???  It baked for about a minute, and the bottom was to the point it had to come out if it was even going to be tasted.
     Ultimately, I lowered the temp to about 550 - 600 and was able to get a nice bottom (I had made 5 doughs to play with) but they were still pale white, and not crisp after about 6 minutes.
Thanks for the clarification.From reading your first post I didn't realise that your were trying to make a "High hydration One size fits all Dough" that you could also get a Neapolitan  Pizza out of.If indeed you are looking for a "Crisp" pizza then I don't think a Neapolitan  dough is what you are looking for either.If you decide to add milk and sugar to the mix to get where you want to be,I think you should consider another thread as this will just further confuse anyone who comes to " Neapolitan Style" and begins thinking that is acceptable behavour. :'...................Good luck and I look forward to your results( ;)Hope you have a sense of Humour!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Hydration vs. Temperature - What's the ratio?
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 02:08:01 AM »

Scott and Steve, I think you guys have hit on my problem.  While the BGE (and Kamado) are great for developing the heat we're looking for, a lot IS lost when we open it up.  So... if I have my 2 hour preheated 800 degree egg, and stone, I'm putting my pizza on a 800 F stone, but the surrounding air is dropping to ... say 400 F or so.  In the minute or less it takes for the bottom to get done, the egg is still recovering and I have reached no where near 800 air temp in the dome.  Thinking this through, I'm concluding that the egg, as much as I love it, is not the right tool for a Neapolitan style pizza as it is affected too greatly by opening the dome.  Using Scott's idea, I would think a perfect American style could be obtained by pre-heating the egg to about 700 (without the stone) and then putting the stone in long enough to reach a surface temp of about 450 - 500....   This would slow down the cooking of the bottom long enough to give the temp in the dome enough time to stabilize again....  Guess there's just no substitute for a good oven....

I think you have the power in that egg to do a great Neapolitan.  Take a look at PFT's posts about how he does it with his grill.  If he can do it, you can too!  After all, you should even have an advantage with all that heat retaining mass around the pie. On top of all that you will have the authentic flavor of hardwood (or charcoal). I think you can get those temps up there, and the stone slightly cooler, but you are going to have to invest some time into experimenting and probably mess up a bunch of pies in the process.  My oven temp drops less that you would think when I open the door and close it quickly, and you should be able to just slightly crack yours open.

GOOD LUCK!

pizzapan