Author Topic: Sir Lancelot flour -- nothing new, but wow!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
Sir Lancelot flour -- nothing new, but wow!
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
I finally decided to order Sir Lancelot flour from the King Arthur web site.  I had heard how awesome this flour is, but I was using the bread flour, so I assumed that it couldn't be all THAT different.  It arrived yesterday so I decided to immediately make a pizza.  I was really pleasantly surprised!  The texture was hugely improved and it was great to handle the dough.  I baked my pizza on a stone in a 550 degree oven, and the dough texture was amazing.  I am sure that's what everyone experiences, but I am now wondering why I waited so long to get a high gluten flour.
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

Offline JW53

Re: Sir Lancelot flour -- nothing new, but wow!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
Steve,

New to pizza making and also just received some of the KASL high gluten flour. Do you mind sharing your recipe? There are so many recipes on this site, and as a newbie not sure where to start.
Thanks

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
Re: Sir Lancelot flour -- nothing new, but wow!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
I definitely don't mind sharing my recipe, but it might not be the style that you're looking for.  Do you want to make New York style pizza?  Or do you prefer pizza from another region?  There are extremely valuable experiences documented in the New York style forum here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html and don't miss out on the Lehmann dough calculator here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html to help you tweak your dough recipe for the size and thickness of the pizza that you want.  Mine's a 14" pizza dough recipe that will rise in about an hour.  I mix it in a bread machine and then form it into a tight ball and coat it with light oil and let it rise.  Here's my recipe:

Flour: 259 g
Water: 168 g
IDY: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 3g
Sugar: 1/2 tsp

Please don't assume that there's anything special about my recipe, but I get good and consistent results from it.  Good luck!
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

pizzapan