Author Topic: Build in or make "portable"  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Reep

Build in or make "portable"
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
As I consider options for pizza ovens in the other thread, I wondered if I should change my thoughts about how to install one.  If (haven't made up my mind yet) I go with a completely finished Italian oven (CF or other) and end up spending more $$ on it, would it be better to sit it on a stand rather than install it in masonry? 

I hope to stay in my home for many years, but you never know what the future holds, and if I end up delving into five figures for a pizza oven, I think I might want to take it with me.  I could just build up a counter underneath it or just make a platform for the stand to be on.  Any thoughts?

Does setting a premade oven on a counter add to the thermal mass on the bottom, potentially throwing off the top/bottom temp balance? 

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Build in or make "portable"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
Hi Reep. 

That's an interesting question re thermal mass.  I think most ovens have a lot of insulation already built in on the bottom, negating the consideration.  However, not all prebuilt ovens are the same, so it's worth adding to your list of questions you should ask the sales reps.

I applaud your forward-thinking about wanting to take the oven with you if/when you move, but don't you think you will be going to a better place, where you can install the oven of your dreams?  I think the built-in oven would add to your home's value.  That's my opinion as a pizza fanatic though.  It's possible potential buyers will see it as a problem area.  Throw those people out immediately.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I was just appraised for a refi, they added nothing for my outdoor Kitchen  :'( said it can be taken away if it had to be?? and its a nice option but ?  Many ovens can be built in with the ability to be moved at a later date ifneeded just taked planning. Mine will be here long after the house Like to big guys on the island ! someone will pull up in their Backpack / jetpack,  land and look say wonder what they did with that thing ?? or.. it they turn the rig around blast it for 30 min and drop in a piece of whatever is around at the time and serve it to thier leader who knows !!
John
PS as for your next thread YES! by all means put one in your house too !!  ;)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Reep

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »

PS as for your next thread YES! by all means put one in your house too !!  ;)

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my yard is much bigger than my house.  Besides, the reason for the outdoor kitchen is so I don't have to cook inside the house.  California is the land of fruits and nuts, but it does have it's privileges. 

Offline Tommy T

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »
A built in oven will definitely add to your home value.  If you do a built in, I would plan for it to be the focal point of your outdoor living area.  Properly done it will be a huge selling point if you ever decide to sell.
Consider that most outdoor countertops are usually not much bigger that 36" in depth.  You could put an oven on top but you'll be looking at a smaller oven than you are considering unless you plan for a larger countertop, obviously.  If you go that route you'll want to insulate the oven to separate it from the countertop.

Nothing wrong with putting your oven on a stand.  And with the stand you can still make it a masonry build look with a thin veneer stick on stone.

Been following your other thread.  Can't wait to what you choose.

Offline Reep

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »
I have a great location for it.  It is going diagonal in the center of the kitchen between the cooking area and the patio and will be visible from the pool area too.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
You never know - we just had our house appraised for a refi, and the appraiser did not feel that the built-in INDOOR pizza oven added significant value.  He seemed more impressed with the granite island/counters than the oven.  I wasn't real impressed with him, either  :-X

If it was me, I'd want the option to take it with me.  Maybe I wouldn't, but it would be nice if it was my decision.  I would think it would have some resale value separate from the house, too. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:40 AM »
Does setting a premade oven on a counter add to the thermal mass on the bottom, potentially throwing off the top/bottom temp balance? 

All premade ovens either come with an insulated floor or they ship with insulation to be added under the floor when you install the oven. What you put the oven on has no impact on thermodynamics.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
We just had and appraisal, and the outdoor patio and pizza oven added $20k. Just under what we spent, but still a good number.

But we are in MA. Houses cost triple what they cost one state over.

John

Offline sajata

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
anytime you can get 50% or greater back on any home improvement it is a good thing.

Offline schmeal2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
FYI, never listen to what a bank appraiser has to say on value. They are there to give the bank an opinion to protect their investment. They have to no motivation to try and tell you what you can realistically get on the open market.

A built in oven will definitely give you value over a unit on a stand that once removed may look like there is something missing and potential buyer will feel it necessary to spend money to fill it. Buyers never want to have to spend money.

Get what you want and enjoy it over the next few years!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
As I consider options for pizza ovens in the other thread, I wondered if I should change my thoughts about how to install one.  If (haven't made up my mind yet) I go with a completely finished Italian oven (CF or other) and end up spending more $$ on it, would it be better to sit it on a stand rather than install it in masonry?  

Why would you even consider permanently installing a finished NP oven?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Reep

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Why would you even consider permanently installing a finished NP oven?

That was my thought.  I have  been looking at modulars, and still may go that way.  But, if I were to get an Italian NP oven (Marra Forni, Ferrara, etc.), it would look fine sitting on a counter--if the weather wasn't a problem. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
That was my thought.  I have  been looking at modulars, and still may go that way.  But, if I were to get an Italian NP oven (Marra Forni, Ferrara, etc.), it would look fine sitting on a counter--if the weather wasn't a problem. 

As an aside, you would never place an Neapolitan oven on a counter - they need to be supported by massive masonry or the metal stand that it comes with. You will also need to protect it from direct weather without exception. Also, unless you are buying for a restaurant, Stefano Ferrara will not sell you an oven. If you want to go the Neapolitan oven route for a home, you should look at MV Forni, or Acunto.

John

Offline Reep

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »
As an aside, you would never place an Neapolitan oven on a counter - they need to be supported by massive masonry or the metal stand that it comes with. You will also need to protect it from direct weather without exception. Also, unless you are buying for a restaurant, Stefano Ferrara will not sell you an oven. If you want to go the Neapolitan oven route for a home, you should look at MV Forni, or Acunto.

John

Okay, thanks.  I have already decided to go another direction, but the oven would have been supported by a counter over a massive cinder block structure with a 30" concrete footer that would have easily held the weight.

pizzapan