Author Topic: Weber Q140 pizza oven  (Read 2787 times)

Offline FeCheF

Weber Q140 pizza oven
« on: September 29, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
Thought i would try turning my electric weber grill into a pizza oven. Worked pretty good, IR gun registered the 12"x12" tile @ 572F after roughly 30 minutes on the highest setting. I think i could get it even hotter if i can bypass the built in thermostat. The grill has a 1800 watt heating element so i thinks its possible to reach temps above 700F. I just need to figure out a way to bypass the thermostat or block the heat from getting to it.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Weber Q140 pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
See if you can find a schematic for the temperature controller. if it is something similar like this one in the link below, all you have to do is shorten the relay coil.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4546238?printsec=drawing#v=onepage&q&f=false

Can you open the temperature controller?

Bert,

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »

Can you open the temperature controller?

Thats the problem. Theres only a single one way screw that i can see, but even if i figure out a way to unscrew it, theres no way thats all thats holding it together. IMO I dont think it was ever designed to come apart.

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
Thats the problem. Theres only a single one way screw that i can see, but even if i figure out a way to unscrew it, theres no way thats all thats holding it together. IMO I dont think it was ever designed to come apart.

More than likely you are seeing a tamper-proof screw head, not necessarily a one-way screw.  Can you either describe what the head looks like or better yet take a macro pic of it?
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
FeChef, so show us the pie!!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
The temperature sensing device is part of the controller. Try to find a used to controller to pry open and do your mod.
Bert,

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
More than likely you are seeing a tamper-proof screw head, not necessarily a one-way screw.  Can you either describe what the head looks like or better yet take a macro pic of it?

Dont need to take a pic, all google searches pull up "one way screws"
http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acatalog/Security_Twin-Thread_Wood_Screws_Clutch_Head_Countersunk.asp

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
FeChef, so show us the pie!!!!!!

Mark

I had to pull the pie inbetween rounds on the ufc event so i didnt have time. But to sum it up, the bottom got a nice crusty char but the top isnt browning as much as i like, so i need to either raise the temp or add a top element....charcoal starter anyone?  :chef:

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
Dont need to take a pic, all google searches pull up "one way screws"
http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acatalog/Security_Twin-Thread_Wood_Screws_Clutch_Head_Countersunk.asp

Not that it isn't, but I have never seen that type of screw in electrical/electronic boxes.  One of most common (security) is a slotted screw with nib in the slot or tri-wings.  In any case, there is tooling to remove any type.  But take MPO's advice, if you attempt a mod, use a replacement controller.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline glennb6

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:17 AM »
FeCheF,

I see you have a "glazed" tile for a stone. What I've read says used only unglazed terra cotta tiles because whatever the glaze is might get released when gets hot. I've been looking for a large unglazed tile but cannot find, only glazed. Soooo, wondering what your experience has been and if you've noticed anything to be concerned about?

Thx
Glenn

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
Keep I'm mid your circuit breaker size when you add top element , your breaker size is probably 20amp, your oven element uses 15 amp max, not sure what else you have on that circuit.

Fire starter may not have enough power to make big difference in heat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:53:10 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
FeCheF,

I see you have a "glazed" tile for a stone. What I've read says used only unglazed terra cotta tiles because whatever the glaze is might get released when gets hot. I've been looking for a large unglazed tile but cannot find, only glazed. Soooo, wondering what your experience has been and if you've noticed anything to be concerned about?

Thx
Glenn

I was told it wasnt glazed. I thought it looked glazed too. The sticker on it didnt say glazed. Now im wondering if i was duped. I have to say if it is glazed i didnt notice any strange odor or taste on the food.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Keep I'm mid your circuit breaker size when you add top element , your breaker size is probably 20amp, your oven element uses 15 amp max, not sure what else you have on that circuit.

Fire starter may not have enough power to make big difference in heat.

Breaker is 15A. If i run the grill and the microwave (1200 watt) it trips. The charcoal starter is 550 watt and most likely wont trip since the microwave only trips it when it kicks into full power. I think the charcoal starter mounted above the pizza will be just enough to brown the top. (they get red hot).

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
Not that it isn't, but I have never seen that type of screw in electrical/electronic boxes.  One of most common (security) is a slotted screw with nib in the slot or tri-wings.  In any case, there is tooling to remove any type.  But take MPO's advice, if you attempt a mod, use a replacement controller.

I wouldnt even know where to get one besides calling Weber. Not like you see electric weber grills on craigslist everyday. Im gonna mod the lid anyway so im not all that concerned about breaking the controller. I originally bought the grill to use indoors instead of my george foreman, but soon found out that pizza is the only food that doesnt smoke bomb the entire house being cooked in that thing.

pizzapan