Author Topic: Kitchen Aid 7 qt  (Read 1958 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Kitchen Aid 7 qt
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Kitchen Aid 7 qt?  It says it has a 1.3 hp motor and it quieter than the 6 qt.  I didn't catch anything with a search.

I have a KA 6qt that is about 5 yrs old and the gears just stripped for the 2nd time in 9 months.  I know I can fix for under $50 but I don't know if I want to keep doing this.  I'd like to look at Bosch but with the amount of $ I have invested in bowls, accessories I am having a hard time with the switch.   At a minimum I'd need to repurchase a grinder, pasta roller and an extra bowl. 

I have read but haven't confirmed that my 6 qt bowls will also fit on the 7 qt - does anyone know this for sure?  I have 2 6 qt bowls plus the 3 qt bowl with the special beater for small jobs.

thanks,
Deb

thoughts?   

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Kitchen Aid 7 qt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
That scares the daylights out of me, I just bought a 600 model about 4 months ago...
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »
That scares the daylights out of me, I just bought a 600 model about 4 months ago...

don't be scared, it's definitely a "your mileage may vary"   I pushed mine to it's limits on a regular basis and am now paying for it.  I had written it's at least 5 years old but thinking about it more it's probably 6-7 yrs.  I know there were issues with the very early ones and it's possible that mine was one of those.

when I replaced the stripped gear last time I only replaced the bad one, this time I'm going to replace all the gear parts - it was about 50 without the grease.  I'm still going to look at new mixers. 

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »
Okay that makes me feel better, usually my doughs are smaller batches, which really the 6 quart doesn't handle that well. Can be a bit tough to get it to come together. And maybe you're right about the older ones and the gears, I think I read that before I bought mine but someone said it had been handled. They really should've offered a recall to repair that if it's true.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
Deb - I have had my eye on a 7 quart for quite some time. It is assembled in the USA, uses all metal gears, and is supposed to have addressed the problems with the 600. I have an older 4 quart from when KA's were still made in the US in the Hobart plant, and it has held up beautifully. But the promise of almost doubling the bowl capacity is really tempting for me.

I believe all the bowls use the same diameter base, and the only limitation on switching between machines is height.

John

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
thanks John!

I had read conflicting info on the bowls.  from the pictures it looks like the 7 qt bowls just go up higher.  Someday I'll make it to williams-sonoma to check it out (the closest one is almost an hour)

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »
I too am interested in the 7 but I had asked about it at my williams sonoma and the person told me that it is still gear driven and not a worm drive but it has much more power, which i knew.  He also said the bowls from my old 5 would fit but after talking longer I'm not sure how much he "really" knew. 
As for my 5qt, it has to be atleast 15 yrs old, gets used atleast once a week, and I have not had it serviced, atleast not yet (probably just jinxed myself!)
tom

Offline z3r01

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
i just got mine and i love it
(http://s14.postimage.org/lpfpl0f9t/z3r01.jpg)

Offline Home_Deck

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
striped my gears out before too and have extra set on hand..  careful when you get to 6c of flour.  Been babying the mixer..  like to get a nice used hobert 12q

Offline tjsker

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
Looks like there are two versions out there.  One for $550 and another NSF certified version for $599.