Author Topic: Caputo Flour, Grande Cheese  (Read 1692 times)

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
Caputo Flour, Grande Cheese
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »
I received my Caputo 00 flour and Grande Cheese from Penn Mac around a week and a half ago, and yesterday was my first opportunity to try them out.  I made my standard 3 pizzas for the family - one cheese, one pepperoni and pepperoncini, and one olives and mushroom.  The crust turned was maybe the best I've ever made.  I used a pretty standard 800g of flour, 55% hydration, 1.5% sea salt, 1% olive oil, and .4% IDY.  Kneading time was about 7 minutes, and I gave it around 15 hours of rising in the fridge, with another 3 ourside.  I knew it was going to be a great crust from the smell.  It had a fresh, floury with pronounced alcohol smell.  It handled beautifully.  At about 7 minutes on the stone at 550F, it puffed up into a nice, light, airy crust.  If I had to do anything differently, I'd maybe give it a minute or two longer to get a little more color and flavor into it.  I liked the Caputo well enough that I may just invest in a 50# bag.

I was less thrilled with the Grande cheese.  It was smooth and creamy, but overall too salty for my or my family's taste.  It's not available locally anyway, so it's a fairly expensive solution for cheese.  I'll probably stick with the Polly-O whole milk in the future.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:13:36 AM by freshflour »

pizzapan