Author Topic: Final Monthly Challenge?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Final Monthly Challenge?
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
After a fairly successful run of over three years, it looks like this topic has run its course. So unless someone has a good idea for a new challenge that might spark some activity for October, the moderators will be discussing ending the monthly challenge.

The original goal was for challenges that would inspire you to make something new, perhaps a pizza you might not have considered trying.

Reply in this thread if you have ideas for October.

Offline cosgrojo

Re: Final Monthly Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
Bill, this line of thought has me very upset. I absolutely love the monthly challenge. I live vicariously through every ones creations.  I participated in a few last year, and I was quite proud of my creations. Unfortunately for my pizza making, I have had to forego it in the pursuit of health and weight loss. I've taken a break from all of this, but I would dearly wish to continue it once I reach my ever approaching goals.

My opinion is that the challenges that were most successful were of a simple ingredient, and let the imagination and creativity of the gifted pizza makers on this forum run wild. Maybe the challenges themselves have gotten so creative that it is hard to conceptualize something that will surpass the lofty expectations of some of the challenges. I would like to see just a simple ingredient as the challenge. This allows people to approach it in any way they wish without hamstringing them into a particular style or method. The ingredients can be either traditional or non traditional ingredients... In fact the more traditional the ingredient, the more inspiring it is to do something that is not expected.

I don't want to see the thread die... But I guess it doesn't make much sense to keep it alive if no one wants to participate.  I wish I could be more involved myself... Maybe I'll make one for next months challenge, and force someone else to eat it so I can still maintain my healthy trend...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:00:18 PM by cosgrojo »

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:50:08 AM »
Reply in this thread if you have ideas for October.

Monthly challenge... Artistic Pizza

Use your pizza oven, your imagination, and your camera to shoot a photo of a pizza that is like a work or art. It can be a pizza alone or a combination of pizza in a scene that looks simply amazing, or beautiful, or mouthwatering, or funny, or whatever.

PS: I love the monthly challenges. Bill, how about taking a break coming up with ideas and encourage the members to come up with ideas for the challenges. If we go 3 consecutive months with no ideas, then we abandon the Monthly Challenge. If we miss a month here or there no problem.

---pete---

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
Pumpkin ? :)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
No bake
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
Let it die with honor.
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »
I'm with Craig, it's time to let it go.
Don

Offline jduchon

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Keep It!

Many of us are new and are just getting into pizza at this level.

Last months challenge left everyone scratching their heads.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
I don't think I ever got to participate in one, but that's completely my fault. If most want to stop it that's fine with me though, I strongly support the idea of the majority ruling.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:59:55 AM »
I have enjoyed the monthly challenges.  ;D I had a lot of fun thinking up different ways to make pizzas for whatever the monthly challenges were.  It will be sad to see these monthly challenges pass, but I can understand it is hard to come up with new ideas for a monthly challenge each month.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
With the amount of new members, why not just repeat the cycle? heck, you can just have 12 monthly pizza challenges and use them every year? take the 12 best (or most popular) and just assign them a month. no effort necessary.

if making a pizza once were enough, where would any of us be as pizza makers?  :chef:
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline petef

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
I have enjoyed the monthly challenges.  ;D I had a lot of fun thinking up different ways to make pizzas for whatever the monthly challenges were.  It will be sad to see these monthly challenges pass, but I can understand it is hard to come up with new ideas for a monthly challenge each month.

I agree with Norma. Perhaps "monthly" is the problem. Why not just have the occasional challenge posted when someone comes up with a good idea.

I say don't abandon the entire idea of pizza challenges, just eliminate the "monthly" part. In fact, I often found that having to participate within a monthly time frame for a particular challenge kept me from joining in. It might work better to post some "pizza challenges" and leave them open until they run their course.
This would allow members to browse the "Pizza Challenge" forum at any time and pick a challenge to participate in. If the mods here have the capability to LOCK a thread, they could lock the ones that they feel have expired.

---pete---

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
Any last comments before Steve and the moderators discuss the future of the monthly challenge?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story."
 - Orson Welles
Pizza is not bread.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Although I haven't given myself the chance to participate, I really like seeing what other people come up with.

Perhaps a combination of Nick's and Pete's ideas could work: leave the current categories open (which I think they are), and pick one each month to "focus" on?

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
I like Pete's idea of having the challenges but removing the time restriction.  There have been several challenges that intrigued me but I couldn't make the time restraint work.  I like the concept of ongoing "themed" threads. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
Choose 12 of the most participated in past monthly challenges. Assign a month to each one and put up that list. Solves most of the problems that have been mentioned. This is a no maintenance solution.

Should be left for new folks to enjoy and participate in as they gain skills.
If it's in the way...I see other far less active things that could be killed too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:10:25 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
a specific style/topping.

ie: pepperoni NY style or 'papa johns clone competition'
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.