Author Topic: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Reep

Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:18 PM »
Here is the start of the new project.  You can probably guess what goes on top of the big pit on the back right side.

The forms outline the bars that go around both sides.  The camera is at the top of some steps that step down into the kitchen, and then more steps by the pizza oven going down to a patio.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:30:49 PM by Reep »

Offline Reep

Re: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »
Questions: I hope to post questions here to get the best ideas about how to design the external features of the pizza oven.

1) Patio: Is it beneficial to have a platform in front of the oven (and to the sides) to place pizza or other things on?  I was considering having a 12" platform in front of the the oven opening and going at least 15" out either side of the oven opening for placing pizza in progress and other items I might need.  Any suggestions to make it bigger, not have it at all (just gets in the way?), smaller, etc.?

2) Cover over door: the chimney vent will be inside the face of the oven structure.  Is there any other reason to have an outcropping above the oven door, other than to make sure a bird doesn't poop on the pizza as it is being removed?

3) other features for the exterior?  I was planning on mounting a peel holder on the side of the oven, but that was about all.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
In front of, a little but not much, it gets in the way of working the oven.  On the sides at least a place to put your beverage and a dishrag.

I extended the roof over the front of my oven to keep the entry and wood storage drier, but it actually keeps it very dry except for horizontal blowing rain.

I store my peels and handled tools (all metal) on the roof of the oven, they are handy and out of the way.

Ideally, if your prep table was directly in front of the oven door the width of your peel length, you could rest the handle end in the entry and make the pizza on the peel end, then turn it around to put in the oven.

Offline Reep

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
In front of, a little but not much, it gets in the way of working the oven.  On the sides at least a place to put your beverage and a dishrag.

So would it be beneficial to maybe have an outcropping on each side of the oven entry, but nothing directly in front of and below the oven door?

The prep area will be on the right side of the pizza oven--on the far right in the top picture.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:07:34 PM by Reep »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
From the inner arch (the door) to the outer arch (the entry) is probably 10 or 12 inches already, that should be enough.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
Not to disagree with Tom the oven guru, but counter space will come in handy wherever it is.  Sometimes you might need to pull one thing out of the oven in order to get to another thing right behind it, then put the first thing right back in.  So a landing in front of the oven, some area to both sides, are all very handy things to have.  Even if all you do is keep a stack of serving plates on them.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Reep

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
Good input.  I'm going to see what I can draw up that leaves space around the door, but still gives me options for setting things down close to the door.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that counter space is not good, the more the better. It is obvious he has plenty laid out.  I meant immediately adjacent to the oven.  The only things I place there in use (I have a small area to the left and an even smaller place to the right) is beverage, ashtray and dishtowel.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
If you look at Craig's oven, it has two round spots, one on either side of the entry, to warm plates.  He pulls the pies from the oven and puts them on the plate and serves them, and that is very handy, esp. for Neapolitan pies.  I generally make Neo-politan/NY pies, so mine go on a cooling rack on the counter to the left before I cut and serve them.  Different workflows.

Offline Reep

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
If you look at Craig's oven, it has two round spots, one on either side of the entry, to warm plates.  He pulls the pies from the oven and puts them on the plate and serves them, and that is very handy, esp. for Neapolitan pies.  I generally make Neo-politan/NY pies, so mine go on a cooling rack on the counter to the left before I cut and serve them.  Different workflows.

I have seen those plating stands on his oven.  That is sort of what I am considering, but leaving the space in front of and under the entry open for better accessability and having some kind of shelf on the sides for plating, etc.  Probably not the best place to put my beer though.  Although I usually have red wine while cooking pizza . . .

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
Another thing you should put a lot of thought into is height of the hearth.  If it's too high, it makes it tough to load wood and tend the fire.  Too low, you will wind up with a permanent stoop from bending over to look inside.  Right about breastbone level is just right, IMO.

Offline Reep

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Another thing you should put a lot of thought into is height of the hearth.  If it's too high, it makes it tough to load wood and tend the fire.  Too low, you will wind up with a permanent stoop from bending over to look inside.  Right about breastbone level is just right, IMO.

I was considering 50" for hearth height.  I'm think I'm the same height as John and he has a 48" height I believe, which appears to be somewhat on the tall side of standard.  I upped mine a couple inches to help my back, but didn't want to make it too high for someone else to use in the future.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Don't worry about those nonexistent future people!  Patio level can be easily added to- much harder to take it down.  Make it right for yourself first.

Looks like it will be beautiful!  What climate do you live in?  Do you have to consider leaves and debris, snow and ice?

Offline Reep

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
Don't worry about those nonexistent future people!  Patio level can be easily added to- much harder to take it down.  Make it right for yourself first.

Looks like it will be beautiful!  What climate do you live in?  Do you have to consider leaves and debris, snow and ice?

I have to consider sun, sun, sun and an occasional cloud (Coastal Southern California).  The location is away from trees other than a single palm tree.  Shade would be nice, but it brings in a whole bunch of building code issues that I don't want to deal with.  I'll just wear a hat or move an umbrella around if I need it.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
Wish I had your issues!   8)

How about an awning?  One of these things?  If it's retractable, I don't think you need a permit for it.

Offline Reep

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Concrete pouring today.  Here they are filling the pizza oven foundation.

Offline Reep

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
How about an awning?  One of these things?  If it's retractable, I don't think you need a permit for it.

I think I'm going to end up with a shade sail.  I have two posts high above the kitchen and only need one more tie off spot to make it work.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Late to the game, but I had a 2ftx4ft stainless steel prep table added to my mobile WFO and it was a game changer. When cooking with my dutch oven, I can just take it right out of the oven and on to the prep table to check it. It's also awesome to have the space to prep things and keep my launching and retrieval peels handy. After adding the prep table, I wouldn't ever want to go back!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Reep

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
Late to the game, but I had a 2ftx4ft stainless steel prep table added to my mobile WFO and it was a game changer. When cooking with my dutch oven, I can just take it right out of the oven and on to the prep table to check it. It's also awesome to have the space to prep things and keep my launching and retrieval peels handy. After adding the prep table, I wouldn't ever want to go back!

I will have a prep area built in about 45 degrees to the right side of the oven.  Also, I want to put two shelves coming out of the front of the oven at about the same elevation as the oven opening that will be about 12" deep and 14-18" wide.  I am picturing assembling on the right side next to the pizza oven and then plating on one of the shelves in front of the oven.  Also, the peels can lean on these shelves when in action.  If needed I have room right in front of the pizza oven for a moveable table that could use if I need extra space for any reason.

Offline Reep

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Getting ready to build up the cinder block foundation for the oven.