Author Topic: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project  (Read 11914 times)

Offline pizza dr

Re: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
Don't forget the cure! 

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »
Hey Reep.  I just got mine put together.  I will be posting up a build thread soon.  It goes pretty fast when you get enough people together to lift things in place.

Offline Reep

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
Don't forget the cure! 

What do I have that needs a cure??? :o

Okay, just kidding.  Yeah, I need to get the insulation on next and get some wood and get it ready for the upcoming rain (until I get the vent piping done).

Offline Reep

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Okay, had the crew out today of four strong backs (not mine) and got the oven put together.  It was a bit different because it had the middle section, which really needed to go in last.  Back first, then front, then middle. It all came together quickly though.  

With the raised option (which is built into the dome on my model, not separate), the pieces are very heavy. Four lean, but strong, guys had a hard time manipulating it in my awkward space.  Nothing else really surprising about it.  After the bottom is done, the dome was only three pieces--four if you count the arch.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:16:39 PM by Reep »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Coming along nicely there Reep...boy, what a view you'll have while standing in front baking in your oven. Stick some night floods down low there pointing out at your neighbors property.  8)

I have a club in Germany that we visit...out back of the rear patio faces a half football field sized area that is all light up at night and the locals do combat/police type training out there with their German Shepperd dogs(guys in mummy suits,etc.)...your set up reminded me of that...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:29:46 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Reep

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
Question:

What do I have to do before I can start breaking it in (curing)?  I plan on attaching the flue connector tonight.  Do I need the insulation first?  After that can I just start heating it up.  I plan to run a longer chimney (about 4 feet with dual elbows to offset the chimney over the oven) and build a metal stud/concrete board enclosure to cover it.  After that the concrete board will be covered with stone veneer and stucco (eventually).  

Bob, yeah, the view is nice, and it overlooks the sunset on the Santa Monica mountains.  The whole kitchen was designed to look that direction while cooking--and block parts of the view that aren't as interesting.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
Do the pieces just fit together (tongue and groove kind of thing) or do you have to mortar pieces together?

Looks great. I am thoroughly jealous.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »
What do I have to do before I can start breaking it in (curing)?  
Hi Reep,

Once you have put on the flue connector you can start your small and gentle fires to start the curing process. It is better to have the insulation on when you do that, but not required. Having the insulation on helps keeping the oven at a study temperature without much of a fire and the water can evaporate slowly.
Start a small fire and when the flames start touching the dome, spread the fire out and let it die down.
Keep the fires small for a couple of days, with the flame not touching the dome. You don't need a continuous fire, just a fire every hour or so to keep the dome warm. As a good rule of thumb, if you can't touch the dome with your hand, it is too hot and you need to let it cool down some.
The dome thermometer shouldn't get above 60 C or 150 F for the first 8 hours of fire. The second day the dome thermometer shouldn't get above 70 C or 160 F.
On the third day you can slowly bring your oven dome temp to 90 C or 190 F
On the fourth day, through out the course of the day, you will be able to slowly bring your oven to full temperature.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Reep

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Thanks Antoine.  I was reading over the next steps about the insulation.  A bit confused on the foil part.  Is that something I get and use?  I didn't see it in the box.  Do I triple insulate with the layers and then cover it with heavy duty aluminum foil and aluminum tape (which I do have)?

Jon, yes the pieces do have an overlap.  I think this is the same for the two-piece domes too.  Mine is three-piece and has a center arch, which has at least a 1" (maybe 1.5") overlap on both sides.  Plenty of space to work with.  The joint between the dome and the floor is a butt joint.  This is actually better as you can move the dome pieces around a bit to get them in the right place.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »
Looks great !!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Reep

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
I must say that I really do like the internal dimensions.  The raised height with the semi-deep oven really looks versatile--although the 950B raised probably would have been enough.  Pizza will be the primary use of course, but I can see a lot of potential for other things as well. 

Offline Reep

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Here are some pictures of the guys who actually did the work.  Also, of the inside of the oven.  I used a wide angle lens to get it, so it isn't really 20' deep. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
Nice build, it looks deady pizza serious.  I can't wait to see the curing fires and some pizza.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
Hey Reep, In pic #2...were you waiting to hear the big bad Kaaa-raaack!! sound or what man?   :-D

Sweet oven dude..this is going to be nice.  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Do I triple insulate with the layers and then cover it with heavy duty aluminum foil and aluminum tape (which I do have)?
Yes, you triple insulate with the provided ceramic fiber blanket to get 3" thickness of insulation. Then you can put foil over it, but wait you are done with the curing fire to put the foil so the water can evaporate properly. Otherwise the water gets trapped between the insulation and the foil and you have water running down the sides.

Antoine

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
The aluminium foil is a radiant hear barrier, or does it serve another purpose?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
Here are some pictures of the guys who actually did the work.
It is much easier to lift the dome pieces when 2x4 are run through the wire loops built in the dome pieces. However they remain heavy, so the oven last a really long time ;D

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
The aluminium foil is a radiant hear barrier, or does it serve another purpose?
The aluminum is mostly used as a radiant heat barrier. Also, if for some reason water was to make its way through the enclosure, the foil would prevent water from getting into the insulation or the oven.

Antoine

Offline Reep

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
It is much easier to lift the dome pieces when 2x4 are run through the wire loops built in the dome pieces. However they remain heavy, so the oven last a really long time ;D

Yeah, I told them that, but there were two issues.  First, they didn't trust that the wires were strong enough and were afraid it would drop.  I explained that they likely used them to load them on the pallets, but they didn't buy it.  Second, the installation area was pretty tight and has a big drop off on two sides and a wall on the other.  I'm not sure they could have taken the dome that high safely with 2x4s.  They ended up sliding it up a big board to oven level and then all getting on top to do the final lifting.

Bob, yeah I was quite nervous about the oven floor.  I had faith that the dome pieces were very strong, but I could see them dropping it onto the floor that I had worked so hard on.  In hind sight I would have taped a double thick layer of something, or cut out a board to put over the oven floor to protect it.  It ended up being okay though.

Offline Reep

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
First fire:

I just finished the insulation and had to get the first fire going.  Yeah!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:34:27 PM by Reep »