Author Topic: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project  (Read 12492 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
So sweet. 3 more days to pizza....but who's counting.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
First fire:

I just finished the insulation and had to get the first fire going.  Yeah!

Yes sir!  :chef:
I wonder if it would make much progress if one was to place at the opening a small electric heater that has a fan in it and you could just let that run when you're not able to be right there to tend to a live fire?  Just a thought...
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
I wonder if it would make much progress if one was to place at the opening a small electric heater that has a fan
Bob,
You can, and it is what I do when I assemble them. It takes an entire week to cure an oven with a small heater with a fan going days and nights.
However if you had a small fire going for a few hours with the insulation on, you don't need to. Once you oven has gained some heat, between the insulation and the thermal mass of the FGM, the retained heat will last for a day or so and continue curing even once the fire is out. That is why you only need a total of 3 days of 8 hours of fire per day. The rest of the time the residual water continues evaporating from the residual heat.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Reep

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Progress is slow, but steady.  I was able to cure the oven over the last week or so and then got the insulation on.  This weekend I was able to finish the cure, get the foil on and get the framing done.  Next couple weekends are kind of booked, so not sure when the next steps will start, but at least it is up and running.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:16:18 PM by Reep »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 08:30:13 PM »
Reep,

That framework looks 99.99% like mine. One thing I would suggest is that if you are planning on having a light shining own onto your hearth from above then make sure your guys insulate the heck out of that chimney so it doesn't melt the electrical wiring that would need to go between the chimney and your cement/backer board. Even though the chimney is double wall it still gets HOT!

PM me if I'm not making sense.

Very jealous!

John K 
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
This is what I am talking about.

Prior to stuffing 2 layers of ceramic insulation between the chimney and the cement board the wire would have melted! :o

John K
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:57:16 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline Reep

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
Reep,

That framework looks 99.99% like mine. One thing I would suggest is that if you are planning on having a light shining own onto your hearth from above then make sure your guys insulate the heck out of that chimney so it doesn't melt the electrical wiring that would need to go between the chimney and your cement/backer board. Even though the chimney is double wall it still gets HOT!

PM me if I'm not making sense.

Very jealous!

John K

Thanks for the info John.  I decided not to run any electric in the oven for that reason.  Nice and simple.  It's going to have to look ugly for a year or so.  The next weekend I get I will complete the walls (with wonderboard) seal it up and then it will have to wait until next year for the rock finish.  Tax man redistributed all my finish money for this year. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the info John.  I decided not to run any electric in the oven for that reason.  Nice and simple.  It's going to have to look ugly for a year or so.

Oh she ain't ugly man!!! :D

In support of the light: Cheap, relatively hard to go wrong over time, and invaluable for "night cooking". With the fixture, it added about $450 to the project.

John K

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Reep,

I'm really enjoying your build thread, as well as learning from you!

I'm planning on framing around my oven for cement board and a stone veneer as well.

Do you know what gauge steel studs you are using, and where did you get them?

Thanks!

Bob

Offline Reep

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
Reep,

I'm really enjoying your build thread, as well as learning from you!

I'm planning on framing around my oven for cement board and a stone veneer as well.

Do you know what gauge steel studs you are using, and where did you get them?

Thanks!

Bob

I just used the standard 25 gauge 2.5" studs and tracks from Home Depot.  They seem to work fine.  I bought self tapping screws, but wouldn't do that again.  I would just predrill and use a pointed end screw.  Holding the stud pieces together while trying to push a self tapping screw through was more difficult that just drilling and screwing.  The 3.75" studs seemed like overkill (and it would have been) and it pushed into my insulation then also.

Offline Reep

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
Started putting up the wonderboard on the frame:  First layer was easy.  Second layer needed an extra set of hands to hold it up on the back side.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 12:55:35 AM »
Oh Yeah !! looks very good  Can you find any natural field stone in your area  thats what I used on Mine. Even a trunk load at a time maybe?
It works but I am not a big fan of fake rock or the cost, brick is allways cool too. Do the  lights! wish I had em onmy home oven, but that was 8 years ago before everybody started with these crazy cool builds ! 
Oh (hint, hint) Look for a big white truck tomorrow and a Big box !
John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:59:36 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Reep

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
Oh Yeah !! looks very good  Can you find any natural field stone in your area  thats what I used on Mine. Even a trunk load at a time maybe?
It works but I am not a big fan of fake rock or the cost, brick is allways cool too. Do the  lights! wish I had em onmy home oven, but that was 8 years ago before everybody started with these crazy cool builds ! 
Oh (hint, hint) Look for a big white truck tomorrow and a Big box !
John

Thanks John.  The oven will be covered in a mix of stacked stone (the same as all around the pool area, on the sides and bottom) and stucco (on the face of the oven and the chimney) with some tile implants and some pseudo-fresco painting on the stucco (grapes and leaves). 

I hear you guys on the lights, but I really don't want a big light on my oven (takes away from the final look of my design).  I might hook up some lights over the prep area though.  I will have some kind of lighting, but I prefer something more diffuse.  I will have outlets everywhere to plug in extra light if needed.  Do you really need light on the landing?  I would think the prep area would be enough.

Offline z-man

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
Good job so far Reep. What a coinsidence I am planning for just about the same build and oven as you just a few weeks behind. I did finally manage to get the foundation poured today. Looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers!

Offline Reep

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
I was able to to get more of the cover up, so now it is protected from the elements.  I need to put up a few more boards, and then finish the joints and gaps.  Then I can start on the chimney structure.  I also made my own coal hook.  It's a bit different than the usual shape, but it works well in my deep oven.

Assembly notes: I used Wonderboard, but did use the screws for Hardie board because I wanted the square drive.  They work great and I see no reason not to use them.  I predrilled holes just to make it easier.
    Also, don't even think about trying full 4x8 cement board until you have picked it up.  I got lucky with my dimensions, but I would highly recommend using the 5x3 cement boards and making your widest dimension 5' or less so you don't have to cut bigger pieces. 
   I'm hanging rock veneer on mine, so I'm going double layer.  If you need to attach a second layer, or don't have a shelf to rest the cement board on, then cut a small manageable board piece to place on the bottom, and then use that as a shelf to support the larger piece on top while you screw it into place.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:56:13 AM by Reep »

Offline Reep

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
We just had the other appliances installed, so the kitchen is up and running--even if it will be another year before we get the decorative finish on.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »
Reep,
Is that a Char-Broiler just to the right of your grill...I am wanting one real bad for outside.
Your helper appears to be quite content, what do you pay her with...Happy Meals?   :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Reep

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
Reep,
Is that a Char-Broiler just to the right of your grill...I am wanting one real bad for outside.
Your helper appears to be quite content, what do you pay her with...Happy Meals?   :)

Payment is in hugs and kisses. 

On the left side of the grill is a warming drawer, but on the right is a searing station and then a wok burner.  I'm not a big steak guy, but I thought it would be very nice for those times when I want to really sear the outside of some meat.  The grill will hopefully be only for those times when I don't have time to get the wood fire going.

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
looks great!

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
Reep, nice choice of equipment.  I also have been building an outdoor kitchen and have chosen the 950C raised version with the Alfresco line of BBQ equipment.  In my case, the entire backyard is complete including oven stand, but I have not yet begun to assemble the pizza oven.  I'll start after tax season.  I'm still deciding on the details of the enclosure, but the profile of the oven rather limits the choice to a box shape.

pizzapan