Author Topic: Fire Code  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Pizzaddict

Fire Code
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
I'm getting close to putting a WFO on my patio, but still confused about fire codes.  I live in Colorado Springs and had to evacuate this summer when the Waldo Canyon wildfire got extremely close to my home.  Needless to say, I'm hyper-sensitive to this issue.  I've read some threads with good info, but just trying to nail down specifics.

I spoke with the deputy Fire Marshal and he said they go by the ICC international fire code.  He was only aware of a ten foot restriction and said that the oven could not be within ten feet of a structure.  I've read posts that indicate the oven can be within ten feet as long as the chimney cap is two feet higher than any structure within ten feet.

As I understand it, since my oven will not be attached to my house, no permit is required and building code does not apply.  Therefore, I assume, only fire code applies.  It appears to me that the "two feet higher than any structure within ten feet" rule comes from building code, not fire code since the fire marshal was unaware of this restriction, and since my oven is not attached, it does not apply.

I've tried to find the portion ICC fire code that deals with the subject, but no success.

Bottom line is that I'd like to build my WFO within ten feet of my home, I am willing to put up a chimney that exceeds the roof line by two feet, but only if that does not violate ICC fire code.  Can anyone point me to the portion of ICC code or somewhere else that addresses the subject?

Thanks,

Bob
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:23:43 AM by Pizzaddict »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Fire Code
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is no rule stating that an oven has to be more than 10' from a structure. See the exception to 307.4.3 http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ifc/2012/icod_ifc_2012_3_sec007.htm.

I believe you would need to observe the chimney cap is two feet higher than any structure within ten feet requirement. The chimney material you use will probably also depend on the proximity to combustibles. Different types of chimney pipe are rated for how close they can be to combustible material.

Have you checked with the manufacturer of your oven for more information? You could also talk to reputable local contractors that build outdoor fireplaces and kitchens.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the pointer to the ICC Fire Code!  I don't know why I couldn't find it, but it
explains clearly what the Fire Marshal was telling me.

Here's how I understand it so far.

There are two codes I need to be concerned with, 1) the ICC International Fire Code since that
is what my city fire department uses, and 2) The local (regional) building codes.  Each code
mentions a 10 foot rule.

With respect to the ICC Fire Code....

I don't believe section 307 applies.  The Fire Marshal kept mentioning a 10 foot rule and I
found it in section 308, dealing with Open Flames and specifically "Open Flame Cooking
Devices."  This is the language the Fire Marshal mentioned from the ICC code:

---

308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices.
Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible
balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.

Exceptions:
1. One- and two-family dwellings.

2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.
3. LP-gas cooking devices having LP-gas container with a water capacity not greater than 21/2
pounds [nominal 1 pound (0.454 kg) LP-gas capacity].

---

Since there is an "exception" for one and two family dwellings and the Fire Marshal mentioned
this, I don't believe the 10 foot rule from the ICC Fire Code applies.

With respect to the local building code....

I spoke with a Building Inspector today.  He said that unless the WFO is attached to the house,
the building code does not apply.  He said if it is attached in any way, then the two feet
higher than any structure within 10 feet applies.

Since he wasn't absolutely sure, I have a call in to the supervisor of the department for
clarification.

At this point, it seems that neither code applies since my WFO will be 1) at a one-family
dwelling and 2)  not attached to the house.  Hopefully, my conversation with the Regional
Building Code department supervisor will clarify.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
My suggestion would be to get it in writing.  You never know who will be the next fire marshall.  It could be some snotty nose kid coming directly from fire school, looking to make a name for themselves....
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »
I'm getting close to putting a WFO on my patio, but still confused about fire codes.  I live in Colorado Springs and had to evacuate this summer when the Waldo Canyon wildfire got extremely close to my home.  Needless to say, I'm hyper-sensitive to this issue.  I've read some threads with good info, but just trying to nail down specifics.

I spoke with the deputy Fire Marshal and he said they go by the ICC international fire code.  He was only aware of a ten foot restriction and said that the oven could not be within ten feet of a structure.  I've read posts that indicate the oven can be within ten feet as long as the chimney cap is two feet higher than any structure within ten feet.

As I understand it, since my oven will not be attached to my house, no permit is required and building code does not apply.  Therefore, I assume, only fire code applies.  It appears to me that the "two feet higher than any structure within ten feet" rule comes from building code, not fire code since the fire marshal was unaware of this restriction, and since my oven is not attached, it does not apply.

I've tried to find the portion ICC fire code that deals with the subject, but no success.

Bottom line is that I'd like to build my WFO within ten feet of my home, I am willing to put up a chimney that exceeds the roof line by two feet, but only if that does not violate ICC fire code.  Can anyone point me to the portion of ICC code or somewhere else that addresses the subject?

Thanks,

Bob
I don't know why people want to bring drama upon themselves. While you are "trying to do what's right" you attract attention of the "know not alls"   Stay low key, build your rig and call your insurance company to add it to your policy "if required". You just might be surprised with what you can get away with (all legal and insured) if ya refrain from trying so hard.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »
I don't know why people want to bring drama upon themselves. While you are "trying to do what's right" you attract attention of the "know not alls"   Stay low key, build your rig and call your insurance company to add it to your policy "if required". You just might be surprised with what you can get away with (all legal and insured) if ya refrain from trying so hard.  ;)

Not sure what the "drama" comment is about.  As I mentioned, we had a major wildfire this summer and I saw 346 homes burn; mine was close.  I will have many eyes upon any smoke emanating from my back yard.  I want to do everything I can to be safe and legal while enjoying marvelous pizza at home.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:56:28 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
Not sure what the "drama" comment is about.  As I mentioned, we had a major wildfire this summer and I saw 346 homes burn; mine was close.  I will have many eyes upon any smoke emanating from my back yard.  I want to do everything I can to be safe and legal while enjoying marvelous pizza at home.
OK, subtract the "drama comment" if that will relax you enough to pay attention to the rest of my comment. If you don't (or can't) feel comfortable with my way of perceiving things ...that's fine. You gotta do your own thing man... ;)
I'm jus happy you are going to have a WFO on your property..that is great!  ;)

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
Thought I'd post an update...

I spoke with the Regional Building Code Supervisor where I live and he said that a permit is required for my structure, even though it is not attached to the house, because it is a solid fuel burning device with a chimney over 6 feet high. At his recommendation, I submitted a plan for review.

My plan shows the oven chimney approximately 9 feet from the back of the house (7 1/2 from the closest eave) and the top of the chimney at 9 1/2 feet high.  The plan reviewer was more concerned with the construction of the base and oven than the distance from the house. They were not concerned with the often quoted rule of 2' higher than any structure within 10 feet.

My plan passed! They also recommended that I have the zoning department review the plan.

To my surprise, my lot has a 50' setback for building an "accessory structure" and my oven would be within that 50' restriction.  They defined my pizza oven plan as an accessory structure since it is over 8 feet high.  The good news is they were able to approve and stamp my plan with an "exception" on the spot.  I think my bribe of free pizza helped!

If I lived somewhere else, I might have skipped jumping through all these hoops and just installed an oven.  However, because of the recent wildfire I mentioned, I'm glad I went through the process.  It also helped me fine tune my plan. 

Time for me to order an oven... :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
Congrats- now get that oven built and bake some pies!

Don't forget to post pics.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
Glad it worked out for you....hope you keep us informed on the build.

Bob

pizzapan