Author Topic: Tony's Pizza Napoletana, San Fransisco, Ca.  (Read 1297 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Tony's Pizza Napoletana, San Fransisco, Ca.
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
A couple months ago my wife and I visited Tony's at 1570 Stockton St., San Francisco. (415) 835-9888.
I had read that it was best to go early and even then there would be a line. Hours are noon to 11PM, Wed - Sunday.
We arrived about 11:15AM and waited in line, pic to follow. It was a beautiful sunny day and the neighborhood if busy but friendly with a nice park across the street.
We were fortunate to be seated near the oven, actually I believe that the Margherita pizzas are cooked in a larger, hotter oven in the back of the kitchen.
The staff were very friendly. I did get a chance to say hello to Tony, albeit a short greeting as service was in full swing.
We started with a shared Caesar salad which was large enough for us both. Bread sticks were on the table. The salad was delicious.
We decided to share a Margherita pizza, Tony limits the # he makes per day. This was my 1st at eating a Margherita. The pie was very attractive and the taste was delicious. At the time I was not familiar with the crust texture but have since sampled many and feel that Tony's was very representative.
I enjoyed a couple glasses of Italian white wine, which I liked. It seemed to compliment the meal very well.

Overall it was a treat to eat at Tony's, having read a lot about him and seeing his videos on Youtube.
Meeting him, briefly as it was, was also good.

Hope you get a chance to visit when in town.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

Re: Tony's Pizza Napoletana, San Fransisco, Ca.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »
We were fortunate to be seated near the oven, actually I believe that the Margherita pizzas are cooked in a larger, hotter oven in the back of the kitchen.

All of their Neapolitan pies including the Margherita are cooked in the Cirigliano Forni Oven you see in your 4th and 5th pictures. His Margherita is one of my favorites.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Craig, thanks. Now I will have to figure out why that thought got stuck in my head. HMMMMMMM

Mark

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
Craig, thanks. Now I will have to figure out why that thought got stuck in my head. HMMMMMMM

Mark

Don't know. I sat at that bar and watched them bake all night.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »
Craig, yes quite a treat.
I see where I may have erred.

"......Tony's Pizza Napoletana is a state of the art full service restaurant that offers several styles of pizzas which include Neapolitan, Classic American and Italian, Sicilian, Pizza Romana, Gluten Free and New York, Detroit and St. Louis Style and displays seven different types of pizza ovens....."

Old age and brain retention?

Mark

Offline CJ

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
It is fun to sit at the bar and watch someone else bake the pies, my wife and I watch at Tony's in Sacramento. We stand in front at Una in SF. I need to get to Flagstaff and watch another.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
You were probably mixing it up - the coal oven is at the back, and that does burn hotter than the CF WFO.  But all the wood-fired pizzas are cooked in the CF. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
His Margherita is one of my favorites.

I am speechless at this point.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan