Author Topic: sluething for StrawHat pizza info  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
sluething for StrawHat pizza info
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:48:20 PM »
StrawHat pizza from the 70's, has been my goal for the last 20 years!

Anyone have any "inside" info on the sauce, cheese, toppings ect.? for the 70's version or today's recipes?

In California, some of them are still making great pizza, but these pizza places have been dying-out, many that are left have changed too much.

I'm very interested in the brand of peperoni they use/used.

I found Pizzamaking's Thin & crispy recipe way back when it was posted on bluecrab.com. It produces a crust which is close, but I found that I couldn't get the dough to roll thin enough without a sheeter. I WAS LITERALLY DRIPPING SWEAT determined to get it thinner. (I didn't try it again, fearing a heart attack, but have saved this recipe as if it were priceless.) In the mean-time I have taken to using the multitude of King Authur Flour pizza crust Recipes.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Re: sluething for StrawHat pizza info
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
Straw Hat Pizza
flour
water 105 degrees
ADY
sugar
salt
partially hydrogenated soybean/cottonseed oil (Crisco)
whey powder

They use a sheeter die cut method.

from Sacramento home of real pizza

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
Thanks you Elsegundo!

Are you in Sacramento??

Have you tried Pizza Classico, or Original Pete's ( I thinks that's the name, it's was on Howe, and had a PUB like atmosphere.) in the Arden Fair area?

I've been wanting to visit Sac. again for both of these pizzas!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 10:49:58 PM »
Dose anyone remember their StrawHat pizza arrving at the table covered in aluminum foil, with small paper condiment cups to prevent the cheese from sticking???

Can anyone confirm that these were baked with the foil on??

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:53:42 PM »
Current website boasts of using 6 cheeses on their pizzas.

ANyone know what these 6 cheeses are?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:31:48 AM »
Found this about Strawhat

Hats Off!

Entrepreneur magazine - December 1996
By Charlotte Mulhern

URL: http://www.Entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,226687,00.html

When Pizza Hut bought out Straw Hat Pizza nearly 10 years ago, Straw Hat franchisees faced a dilemma: Either convert or go independent. For a number of franchisees, neither option was appealing, so they came up with another alternative. They opted out of the Pizza Hut franchise and established a cooperative to retain ownership of the Straw Hat name, operating systems, recipes and logo.

Today, Dublin, California-based Straw Hat Cooperative Corp. is going strong, with 50 members and 65 locations throughout California, Nevada and Washington. An average of six new stores are added each year. All decisions guiding the company are made by an elected board of directors.

"It's a shared strength," says Joshua Richman, president and CEO of the cooperative. "The idea is that these pizza restaurants will be stronger as part of a group than on their own."

The benefits are numerous. The backing of 60-plus stores helps when negotiating deals with suppliers. Co-op members also save money because Straw Hat manufactures its own cheese, dough, meat toppings, sauce, boxes and cups. The royalties are low, and all marketing materials are provided.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
Straw Hat's six cheeses are:

Swiss, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »
Thanks!

It's amazing that I cant taste the different cheeses, the flavor just melds.