Author Topic: The Best Sauce: Tomatoes vs Puree?  (Read 9822 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: The Best Sauce: Tomatoes vs Puree?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
Does anyone know the specific gravity of a #10 can Stanislaus Full Red?

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:44 PM »
I'm gonna step out on a limb here, w/ my own style of sauce recipe.

~ a good 4+ lbs of your favorite tomatoes or the highest quality of the best kinds you can get your hands on
    ~ sea or kosher salt (eyeball the amount to your own taste)
    ~ fresh ground pepper (I use a 5-pepper blend from Crate & Barrel) (amount same as above)
    ~ the oil left from browning 2-lbs of your favorite Italian sausage
    ~ good olive oil  *** (use whatever oil you like, I'm not married to EVOO, but if Rachel wants to come to my house .....)
    ~ fresh basil, oregano, fennel (and/or any fresh herbs/spices to your heart's desire)
    ~ 1 big head of garlic, gently cut off the top, fill w/ oil and roast until nicely caramelized
    ~ at least 1 fist-full each of grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses
    ~ 1 cup of whatever good, full bodied red wine you've got, cooked down to less than 1/2 cup (it's gotta be stuff you're willing to drink in the first place)

Quarter the tomatoes and season w/ salt and pepper, drizzle w/ some oil (not the sausage oil), roast at +/- 300 degrees for give or take 30 or so minutes; until they look nice and roasted, but before they get blackened. Roast the garlic at the same time. When done, let this all cool, you'll be sorry if you don't. Chop the ever-loving bageebies out of all the herbs/spices you are using (I'm sorta Mario-ish here, I like all the flavors but no big surprise pieces). When cool, process the tomatoes and garlic until just before the texture you want/like. Add the herbs/spices, cheeses and process to your desired end texture. Put the tomato sauce in a bowl, add oil and wine, mix for a while, then put in the refrigerator to relax. Use when cold.

I do all of this live in the kitchen, not sitting at my MAC. I'm sure I've left something out. If anyone cares or has any questions, go ahead and ask. Anyway, that's it.
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »
 Hey Iceman,
 It looks like a great recipe thanks for sharing it with us. In my opinion a sauce is always better after it has been refridgerated. I am sure you're 5 dogs won't mind if Rachel Ray stops by but what about the wife?        Chiguy

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 10:00:36 PM »
I am sure you're 5 dogs won't mind if Rachel Ray stops by but what about the wife?
My kitchen ................................................................. My rules.
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 01:41:33 PM »
Iceman, that's how my mother did it, but no recipe amounts. Always came out great!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 02:31:19 PM »
I'm with you guys.  Roasted tomato sauces are YUMMY ;D

pizzapan