Author Topic: New pizza making equipment  (Read 1634 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

New pizza making equipment
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
So I moved to california recently and decided to try and find a steel plate. When I looked in Idaho I got four quotes all right about $100. I called one place very close to my house in california and they quoted me $25 so I didn't even look anymore.

I then decided I needed a bigger peel since I had this nice big steel plate. I looked around a bit online but decided on making my own. It was a fun project, I will probably now end up making another one since there are some small things I would change for next time.

Lastly some pics of the pizza I made today using the new stuff. I forgot about the dough and overproofed the dough big time, hence the big bubbles. But I am liking where the new stuff is heading. I have a new oven in the move and new stuff, so it's all a new learning curve.

Offline atom

Re: New pizza making equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »
Nice Peel! Maple right? I've considered doing a red oak one. What don't you like about yours?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Ya it is maple. The thing I had trouble deciding on was the length of the peel compared to the width. The length should be at least an inch longer than the width to allow shaking of the pizza. I also made my Peel one sided compared to most which are two sided. I'll see how I feel about that decision after some more uses.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Wow, nice new oven & steel, nice job on the peel, GREAT job on the pizza!  You must be very excited.  I'd be one proud papa if I were you!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
Nice work Jeff...I like the single sided aspect of that peel. Maybe go a 'lil thinner on your next one with the longer handle?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline zelichan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
Great job on the peel. It's a work of art. So is that steel like a stone? Did you cook directly on it or use a screen or pan?

That pie is off the charts awesome looking.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
Nice job on the peel! she's a beaut!
that has to be the cleanest oven i've ever seen  :-D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
I forgot to mention, I LIKE your overproofed dough.  How did it taste?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »
Great job on the peel. It's a work of art. So is that steel like a stone? Did you cook directly on it or use a screen or pan?

That pie is off the charts awesome looking.

Thanks for the compliment, and yes it is the same idea as a stone, just a surface to cook the pizza on. I cook it directly on top. The idea of using a stone is courtesy of scott. Basically it transmits more heat to the dough then stone does.

Pizaneer, the pizza was really good. I did have some shaping problems with having a bit too much dough for the size of the peel and the over-proofed dough is also a bit harder to stretch evenly. I find it has a tendency to get thin spots pretty evenly. Honestly I have never made a pizza that size, and it was much harder than shaping the smaller doughs. A mere 2-3 inches bigger is a ton more dough.

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
Jeff, for your first pie on steel, that's phenomenal.

Next time, could you time the bake and get an IR reading on the steel?

I can't tell from the photo, is this 1/2" steel? Nice job on the sizing.

You used the broiler during the bake, correct?

Stretching large pizzas is incredibly difficult.  It takes a considerable amount of practice to master.

It's a beautiful peel, but... do you see how the taper on the edges begins about 2 inches in? Well, for the most ease in launching, the taper should really begin at the handle. The entire blade should come to a point, not just the last couple inches. As far as I know, the only way this can be done is with a massive belt sander.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
As far as I know, the only way this can be done is with a massive belt sander.

It's possible, just not easy at all. Depends on your wood, and how expertly you can move that sander.

You really want to wear goggles and a mask for this.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:52:17 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline Tcrose36

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
So I moved to california recently and decided to try and find a steel plate. When I looked in Idaho I got four quotes all right about $100. I called one place very close to my house in california and they quoted me $25 so I didn't even look anymore.

I then decided I needed a bigger peel since I had this nice big steel plate. I looked around a bit online but decided on making my own. It was a fun project, I will probably now end up making another one since there are some small things I would change for next time.

Lastly some pics of the pizza I made today using the new stuff. I forgot about the dough and overproofed the dough big time, hence the big bubbles. But I am liking where the new stuff is heading. I have a new oven in the move and new stuff, so it's all a new learning curve.

Can I ask if you seasoned your steel plate or if you put any flour on it? I picked one up and haven't used it yet, I am a little worried about it sticking. It could be misplaced worry but I don't want to screw up the first one I do on the steel plate because I didn't put flour on it or a little bit of canola oil.

Thank you,
T

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
Can I ask if you seasoned your steel plate or if you put any flour on it? I picked one up and haven't used it yet, I am a little worried about it sticking. It could be misplaced worry but I don't want to screw up the first one I do on the steel plate because I didn't put flour on it or a little bit of canola oil.

Thank you,
T

I only washed the steel after it was cut. I did nothing else to prep the pizza before putting it on. There are no sticking issues at all.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
Jeff, for your first pie on steel, that's phenomenal.

Next time, could you time the bake and get an IR reading on the steel?

I can't tell from the photo, is this 1/2" steel? Nice job on the sizing.

You used the broiler during the bake, correct?

Stretching large pizzas is incredibly difficult.  It takes a considerable amount of practice to master.

It's a beautiful peel, but... do you see how the taper on the edges begins about 2 inches in? Well, for the most ease in launching, the taper should really begin at the handle. The entire blade should come to a point, not just the last couple inches. As far as I know, the only way this can be done is with a massive belt sander.

The IR reading was 557 and the bake time was about 4 minutes 10 seconds, with the broiler being on almost the entire time.

And I know it should be a solid taper, but that seemed like it would suck and the one I was using as a guide was tapered in that way.

I really want to make a good dough and try it out. I don't like how over proofed dough opens or bakes.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
Not sure if anyone will see this but I didn't want to start a new thread on the board when I have another one up. I have two questions,

1. What % of IDY are you guys using for 24 hours room temp ferments?

2. How does yeast work proportionally? IE if 1% yeast had your dough ready in 24 hours, would 2% make it ready it in 12? I know that can't be because then that would imply 10% could have it ready in like 20 minutes. But what have you guys found?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
Not sure if anyone will see this but I didn't want to start a new thread on the board when I have another one up. I have two questions,

1. What % of IDY are you guys using for 24 hours room temp ferments?

2. How does yeast work proportionally? IE if 1% yeast had your dough ready in 24 hours, would 2% make it ready it in 12? I know that can't be because then that would imply 10% could have it ready in like 20 minutes. But what have you guys found?

Jeff,

The answer to the first question depends mainly on the room temperature. You can see some of the issues that come into play with very long room temperature fermentations in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg62332.html#msg62332.

With respect to your second question, the methodology described by member November at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5028.msg42572.html#msg42572 says that if you use 2% yeast over a 12 hour period the dough will be at essentially the same stage as using 1% yeast over a 24 hour period, but only if the dough formulations, dough ball weights and temperatures of fermentation are identical, with the difference being the amounts of yeast.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:58:31 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Tcrose36

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
I only washed the steel after it was cut. I did nothing else to prep the pizza before putting it on. There are no sticking issues at all.

Awesome, thank you. I will not season it at all and just see how it goes.

Thank you
T

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
Peter thank you for the link. Very informative article you wrote.