Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 119187 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 02:50:01 AM »
This may be a stupid question, but is "vegetable oil" the same as "olive oil"?  If not, what's the purpose of using the v. oil instead of the o. oil?

Dave

Offline Wayne

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2004, 03:07:25 AM »
I made a batch of dough today which I will use tomorrow to make a pizza according to this recipe.  I don't know what caused this, but the dough had a different texture than when I normally make pizza.  If anyone has mad emozerella using the kit from new england cheesemaking, think of how the cheese feels after you tak eit out of the microwave the last time and knead it for awhile.  It was like that.  Very smooth and dense.  Also stronger than usual.  I liked the texture and am anxious to see how the finished product will come out.  I'll let you know how it tastes.  Wish I had a digicam so I could post a comparison photo.  

Oh and does anyone else find removablr bottom deep dish pans a bit troublesome when it comes to oiling them?  Mine alway sleaks a bit out of the bottom.  I had to cover t with a layer of plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, then more plastic wrap because it left a huge puddle of vegetable oil on the table.  And judging from the bottom of the crusts in pizza huts pan pizzas, I would say they use alot of oil per pan.  I hope mine doesn't leak too much more.  It would be a shame.  Anyway I'm gonna be dreaming of pizza tonight, and eating it tomorrow.  Only time will tell I suppose.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 09:29:25 AM »
Vegetable oil is different from olive oil.  I read the ingredients on the lable from the bottle that is marketed as "All Natural Pure Vegetable Oil" and all it has is soybean oil.  So, I guess what I used was really soybean oil.  Now I am wondering if there are different "vegetable oils"...

The pans that we used at Pizza Hut did not have removable bottoms.  The amount of oil that we used to oil the pans before putting the dough in the pan was 1 oz for small, 2 oz for medium and 3 oz for large.  I have a very large pan so I used 4 oz.  I would adjust the amount of oil to the size of pan that you are using.  I don't remember what sizes the small medium and large pizzas were at Pizza Hut.

I don't know how this will come out in a removable bottom pan and I would think it would be a mess both out of and in the oven.  Let us know how it turns out though.

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2004, 07:03:41 PM »
I did some research on the milk powder, here's what I found out:

The milk powder (or whey powder) is used to induce the browning effect (or maillard reaction).

Whey is high in lactose (milk sugar), which has a very low sweetness value, but significantly contributes to crust color development. So, by adding whey to your dough formula, you can get crust color development without unwanted sweetness.

If you want that browning effect that sugar usually produces but not the sweetness then try adding up to 3 percent whey, based upon the flour weight to your dough. Reduce the sugar or leave it out.

Most likely added by pizza hut to keep the baking time shorter and still get the browning effect for the dough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 04:20:20 PM by Pierre »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2004, 08:32:33 PM »
This is back on the schedule for Wednesday.  I'm really looking forward to it.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Wayne

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2004, 09:33:25 PM »
WellI made one saturday and overall it came out great.  I really liked the texture of the dough, although I had 2 problems with my pizza that were completely unrelated to the dough recipe.

1.  I cooked it a bit too long (not burnt, just a little overdone).  The bottom was dark brown instead of golden brown.  I was paranoid that the middle wasn't cooking so I left it in for almost 20 minutes.  Well now I know better for th enext one.

2.  I used Hunts seasoned tomato sauce for pizzas as the base for my sauce this time.  All I can say about this product is  ...DISGUSTING...  I went ahead and used th esauce but it was probably the worst pizza sauce I have ever made.  I'm going to stick to my usual recipe next time and go for the perfect pan pizza.

Aside from these 2 things, the pizza came out very good.  I used pepperoni, mushrooms, and mild italian sausage for the toppings (and cheese of course).  Next time I will probably use at least 5 different meats.  But all in all I can't wait to try the recipe again.  This is definatly one of my favorite recipes now.  So glad you posted it.

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 10:42:59 AM »
I made another one on Sunday and it came out good but not as good as the first one did.  I changed three things:

1. It was not the first pizza cooked ( I had some friends over and they wanted thin and not the pan so I cooked 2 medium thins and a small hand tossed first).

2. I used more ingredients on this one (last time I just used cheese, peperonni, diced ham and black olive).

3. I made the dough the previous day (about 24 hour time in the refrigerator and this time it was in the refrigerator only 4 hours).

I used cheese, peperonni, canadian bacon, ground beef (precooked, rinsed and drained), onion, mushroom and black olive to top it.  I used about the amount we would have a Pizza Hut possible just a tad more and I noticed it had standing moisture in the middle.

I cooked it for about 12 minutes and it was ready to come out from the crust color perspective.  I might have been able to keep it in the oven for another minute but probably not much longer than that.

I think next time I am thinking about only putting in 1 tablespoon of powdered milk and see if I can cook it longer (maybe 15 minutes or so) to get rid of some of the extra moisture.

Does that sound reasonable?

Also, I used the extra dough as a New York style crust and I was able to stretch it out fairly thin and some friends said that it tasted great.  I don't know if it was or wasn't good because I did not get a piece of it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 10:50:37 AM by xPHmgr »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 11:52:11 AM »
It could be the moisture is coming from the olives and the onions if you added to many.
What temp was the oven?

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 12:17:52 PM »
What type of cheese are you using?

Whole Milk Mozzarella will cause a lot of excess water. I always use part-skim low-moisture mozzarella.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:18:17 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »
I cooked the pizza at 500 degrees.  The oven had been on for about an hour and a half by the time the pan pizza went in but I did cook 3 other pizzas before the pan pizza.

I only used about 15 or so onion pieces (onion halved and then slice in 3/16" or so slices).  The black olives that i used I made sure they were not excessively wet.  The amounts were pretty much the same that we would have put on a super supreme pizza at Pizza Hut.

I used low moisture mozerella.  I like the way the cheese comes out of the oven but do not like how it is when a piece is reheated in the oven.  It seems to loose it's stringyness.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »
Do you think 500 is a bit high for a thick crust.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2004, 12:45:29 PM »
I would try around 450.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2004, 11:05:33 PM »
Thanks!  I'll try 450 next time and I'll leave the recipe as it is and see what happens.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2004, 12:12:23 AM »
I made another pan pizza this weekend.  Did everythign the same except...

Only use about 3/4 of the dough.  The remaining dough made 2 smaller pizzas.

Lowered the heat to 450 degrees.

I must say it came out just about perfect.  The crust was crispy and golden on the outside and soft on the inside.  There was no burntness to it anywhere.  

For toppings I used mushrooms, black olives, peperoni, mild italian sausage, and bacon.

This was one of the best pizzas I've ever made, and one of the best I've ever had in my life.  I will not be makign another until I get a pan without a removable bottom though because it makes a big mess.

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »
Thanks!  I'll try 450 next time and I'll leave the recipe as it is and see what happens.

did you ever get back to making another pan pizza? Were you able to repeat the good results you had with the first Pan Pizza you made?

Wayne seems to be very happy with the results....

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 10:59:13 PM »
I made it the same that I did the first time and it came out great.  I think the issue with the second pizza was too many ingredients which made it come out more watery in the center than I like.  When we made pan pizzas at PH I remember having the same issue if we used too many vegetables.

At this point I am going to keep the recipe as it is.  Both the first and last pizza that I made using this recipe I prepared the dough the day before and made it the next evening.  I will continue to do that too.

Give it a try.  Enjoy!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2004, 07:40:48 AM »
Would you mind if I used your pan pizza recipe on the main website? I'll be sure to cite you as the source of the recipe.  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

stock

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2004, 10:36:11 AM »
i've always been a fan of pizza hut pan pizza, and so i'm eager to try this.  now if only i could speed up the rate at which i cook so i could have pizza more often.  as it is, i usually spend about an hour and forty-five minutes fiddling around with the pizza from the time i begin shaping the dough to the time i start eating the finished product

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2004, 02:44:38 PM »
Would you mind if I used your pan pizza recipe on the main website? I'll be sure to cite you as the source of the recipe.  8)

Nope.  I used one of the recipes I got from this site as a base and so it would only be fitting to be included.

I hope everyone enjoys it!

Offline YoMomma

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2004, 09:17:46 AM »
I tried this recipe yesterday and everyone agreed it is REALLY good.  I had to mess w/ it though, as I couldn't bring myself to put 4 oz of oil in the pan - afterall too much oil is my main complaint w/ ph pan pizza.  It was still way more oil than I have ever added to a crust and I believe it is what made it as crispy & tastey as it was.  I baked mine in my commercial Blodgett convection oven (w/ a wicked powerful fan) at 400 degrees for just less than 10 minutes.  This is a keeper!  Thanks for sharing.

pizzapan