Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 109288 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Well, I tried this recipe last night and was very unhappy. The crust was really dry and way too crunchy on the bottom. I followed the recipe and baked it on my pizza stone for 15 minutes. I  preheated to 500 and lowered to 450 for the 15 minute bake time. The bottom wasnt burnt at all and was golden brown but was so crunchy it tore up the roof of my mouth. Very dissapointing to say the least. Anyway here are some pics.

Also it was refigerated overnight and flavor of crust was very bland.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:27:41 PM by FeCheF »

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »
Does anyone else think that this pizza is almost better reheated in the oven than it is fresh?! I reheated a slice last night and I swear is was crispier but more tender at the same time. The toppings seemed like they were more flavorful as well and the sauce had integrated into the crust ever so slightly. I am very impressed with this pizza though after last night, to me the ability of a pizza to reheat well is the sign of a good pie.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
For replicating PH it actually doesn't look bad at all. Did you use a lot of oil in the pan? Perhaps it was cooked a bit too hot?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
I've noticed most people baking these pies use a darker colored 14" pan, but all I can find locally in that size range is light aluminum pans from smaller kitchen stores. I even checked the stock at my local restaurant supply store. The aluminum ones I have found are relatively cheap at $7, but I hate to buy one and it not turn out the pie that I am shooting for, it would have no other use in my kitchen. Has anyone had great luck with light colored aluminum pans? This is my second favorite pizza style so far next to the Mellow Mushroom clone, so I'd like to at least get good equipment to make it on.

P.S. - I have been rising and baking mine on a flat 15" cutter pan and I feel like that may be the reason I am not getting as pronounced of a cornicione since the pie doesn't have a pan wall to "climb." It also makes for quite a mess when you move the pan around. Oil spills everywhere and losing any amount of oil isn't good for the frying of the bottom I bet.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
I've noticed most people baking these pies use a darker colored 14" pan, but all I can find locally in that size range is light aluminum pans from smaller kitchen stores. I even checked the stock at my local restaurant supply store. The aluminum ones I have found are relatively cheap at $7, but I hate to buy one and it not turn out the pie that I am shooting for, it would have no other use in my kitchen. Has anyone had great luck with light colored aluminum pans? This is my second favorite pizza style so far next to the Mellow Mushroom clone, so I'd like to at least get good equipment to make it on.

Cory,

Unless you purchase a dark anodized deep-dish pan, which requires no seasoning, or unless you purchase a used deep-dish pan that is already seasoned (e.g., on eBay or elsewhere), you might season your aluminum deep-dish pan. As you will note from Tom Lehmann's posts over at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8016&p=55383&hilit=#p55280, he suggests that you season the outside of the pan. The inside of the pan will become seasoned over time with normal use.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
I second Peter's recommendation to season a bare aluminum pan if necessary. I just seasoned a steel large muffin pan to bake my slider rolls and sprayed a light coat of kitchen spray, baked it for a hour at 400 or until dry, then repeated the process. Maybe even three times if needed. It is quite dark and the rolls fall out quite easily.  Don't use olive oil, a light coat of Pam is better.
Don

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »
I had an aluminium pan, too, and seasoned it using about 4 cycles of corn oil in a hot oven.  worked great.  just do a google search for how to season a pan.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »
I had no idea that you seasoned aluminum as you would cast iron, that is a completely new concept and an exciting one at that. I have quite a few newer pans at home that could use this treatment. I will be sure to give this a go this next week when I get back to college and do the research on it then too. Thanks a ton guys. -Cory

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
Does anyone else think that this pizza is almost better reheated in the oven than it is fresh?! I reheated a slice last night and I swear is was crispier but more tender at the same time. The toppings seemed like they were more flavorful as well and the sauce had integrated into the crust ever so slightly. I am very impressed with this pizza though after last night, to me the ability of a pizza to reheat well is the sign of a good pie.
Oh yes....I think there is a thread on that somewhere Cory. Lots of people have been discovering the reheat in a frying pan trick. I use a cast iron pan...much easier than heating the oven up and as many have found out , it can turn some pizzas into something quite different and even better.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Oh yes....I think there is a thread on that somewhere Cory. Lots of people have been discovering the reheat in a frying pan trick. I use a cast iron pan...much easier than heating the oven up and as many have found out , it can turn some pizzas into something quite different and even better.

Bob

I haven't done the pan method but I have heard of it. It sure would be a lot more efficient instead of waiting on my stone to get up to temp and when the pan is covered you'd get the same effects of the oven as well. Next time I'll give that a go, thanks for reminding me of that.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
When I was a kid, Pizza Hut pan pizza was always my fav.  Just one question for anyone who has successfully made this pizze.  The recipe states to add 4oz oil to the pan before adding the dough to let it rise.  Is 4oz an accurate measurement?  That's half a cup....  ???

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
I haven't done the pan method but I have heard of it. It sure would be a lot more efficient instead of waiting on my stone to get up to temp and when the pan is covered you'd get the same effects of the oven as well. Next time I'll give that a go, thanks for reminding me of that.
Using the lid won't give the same effects as the oven...you'll see...
I jus drape a piece of aluminum foil, shiney side down

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »
Oh so just tent the skillet with foil while I'm reheating the slice instead of putting on the cast iron lid for a sec?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Yes,lets the steam out but still helps to melt the cheese....you can make the crust really crispy using this method and that's why I said the end result is often something even better than what you started with...

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »
Thanks a lot for the tip! I tried this tonight and it worked pretty well. I may or may not have put just a touch of butter in the pan though before adding the pizza..... :-D It tasted awesome awesome awesome.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
Good deal... that's what I meant about being able to make the crust really crispy and changing the whole profile. Try corn oil next time....works great on deep dish...

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
PowerWagonPete's a Pizza Slut Pan Pizza...

http://ramchargercentral.com/open-discussions/hey-greg/   ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
Pete,

You don't give yourself enough credit...that pie is NOT "dead on" to a big rip-off PH pizza. You did nail something there though....sum'in awesome!   ;)

Man.....now I got another on the to-do list   :'(

Bob

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
Pete,

You don't give yourself enough credit...that pie is NOT "dead on" to a big rip-off PH pizza. You did nail something there though....sum'in awesome!   ;)

Man.....now I got another on the to-do list   :'(

Bob

LOL   ;)  ;)

The sad truth is, both pan and Sicilian-type pizzas tend to wipe us both out so we'll end up spending a romantic evening together slobbering all over our respective recliners instead of each other.  That stuff puts you in a coma quicker than eating Thanksgiving turkey during a Detroit Lions football game.  Today's television is much more palatable when viewed through the eyelids, however, so there is an advantage there.   ::)

Yeah, the to-do list never seems to get any shorter, huh Bob?   :)

I went back into both threads and fixed the fubar hyperlinks.  Everything should work just fine now.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:15:22 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
When I was a kid, Pizza Hut pan pizza was always my fav.  Just one question for anyone who has successfully made this pizze.  The recipe states to add 4oz oil to the pan before adding the dough to let it rise.  Is 4oz an accurate measurement?  That's half a cup....  ???

That sounds about right lol, I used to oil the Pizza Hut pans. On a side note I recently deep fried a disk before baking and in the end the taste reminded me of the pizza hut pan pizza.

pizzapan