Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 119347 times)

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2005, 01:59:17 PM »
@spud

I don't know if it makes  a lot of difference, but I'm always heating up my sauce before it goes on the pizza.  I start with just plain tomato sauce and add basil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, oregano.  Anyway, the sauce is hot when it goes on the dough.  So when the pie goes into the oven, it doesn't have a layer of room temperature sauce soaking up all the top-down heat before it gets to the top of the dough.  So I bet heat gets to the dough through the sauce quicker since the sauce is alreay hot. 

As far as the 2 inches of crust goes.. yup, that's nasty isn't it.  I just split the dough ball and make 2 crusts.  If you make two 12-in pans, they'll still both have a good thick crust

Offline lox450

• I Love Pizza!
Really messed up
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »
I tried this recipe last night for the dough....I will go thru the process of what I did.

1. used warm to hot water and kneeded for 10 minutes with my hands...(I do not own a mixer)

2. I put the dough in an oiled pan and covered with cling wrap.  I let it rest for 4 hours. 

I got back to the pan and to be honest...it didn't rise too much.  Now granted..my house is rather cold this time of year due to being in Wisconsin.  But I didn't think it would have THAT big of an effect on the rise.   I just tried to punch it out as best I could and it barely touches the sides of the pan.  I will try to cook it tonight.   Do any of you know what part I messed up the worst?? 

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
When I first started to make the Pizza Hut style deep dish pizza, I found that the restaurants used a proofer that was set to around 100F. So after the dough sits in a pan overnight, it is placed in the proofer for about an hour. I have tried it with and without a top during this proof stage, and it has not seemed to make much of a difference. The dough is then pushed down and placed in the oven at about 455F.

So I follow this procedure and put it in the oven for an hour at 100F first, using a formula similar to what is posted on the first page here. I then run my oven between 455F and 475F, due to inefficiencies for maybe 12 minutes.  I've used KA all-purpose flour, bread flour, and a mix of the two. It all comes out great. The only time it failed is when I used Harvest King, which supersedes the gold medal best of bread (company recommends it for puff pastries and soft rolls on its site). Unlike KA, it produces a dense structure that I just do not care for with this pizza.

With KA flour, the deep dish crust has a golden hue color, and is almost transparent when you bite down into it, with a slightly crispy outer edge. There is no difference between it and Pizza Hut deep dish. Here's an example:

Bottom: http://home.comcast.net/~keck-foundation1/phut.JPG

::)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:20:28 PM by giotto »

Offline sonicdrink

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
When I first started to make the Pizza Hut style deep dish pizza, I found that the restaurants used a proofer that was set to around 100F. So after the dough sits in a pan overnight, it is placed in the proofer for about an hour. I have tried it with and without a top during this proof stage, and it has not seemed to make much of a difference. The dough is then pushed down and placed in the oven at about 455F.

So I follow this procedure and put it in the oven for an hour at 100F first, using a formula similar to what is posted on the first page here. I then run my oven between 455F and 475F, due to inefficiencies for maybe 12 minutes.  I've used KA all-purpose flour, bread flour, and a mix of the two. It all comes out great. The only time it failed is when I used Harvest King, which supersedes the gold medal best of bread (company recommends it for puff pastries and soft rolls on its site). Unlike KA, it produces a dense structure that I just do not care for with this pizza.

With KA flour, the deep dish crust has a golden hue color, and is almost transparent when you bite down into it, with a slightly crispy outer edge. There is no difference between it and Pizza Hut deep dish. Here's an example:

Bottom: http://home.comcast.net/~keck-foundation1/phut.JPG

::)

Holy smokes the bottom of your crust looks great.

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2006, 11:10:13 PM »
Hey, thanks Sonicdrink.

Welcome aboard.

Here's a link to the same dough made into a thinner version. The formula and picture is provided, along with an embedded link that provides tips for pizza crust color. For deep dish, I preferred King Arthur flour. I put it in a 10" x 2" pan and heated according to the quote you included.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4284.msg36146.html#msg36146
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:16:19 PM by giotto »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2007, 11:29:25 PM »
Here is a version of "pizza hut origial pan pizza" that I came across. Don't ask how I got it or else I'd have to kill ya >:D  I don't know if this is anything close to what you pizza hutters are making or using, so I can't vouch for it's authenticity. I haven't tried it.

Pizza Hut Original Pan Pizza                       

1 1/3 cups  Warm water (105F)
                      1/4 cup  Non-fat dry milk
                     1/2 teas. Salt
                       4 cups  Flour
                      1 Tbls.  Sugar
                        1 pk.  Dry yeast
                      2 Tbls.  Vegetable oil (for dough)
                        9 Oz.  Vegetable oil (3 oz. per pan)
                               Butter flavored Pam

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large (2 qt.) bowl. Add
   water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil
   and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is
   absorbed. Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes.

Divide dough into three balls. In three 9" cake pans, put 3 Oz. of
   oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin,
   roll out each dough ball to about a 9" circle. Place in cake pans.
   Spray the outter edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place
   in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:
                1 8 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
                1 Teaspoon Dry Oregano
              1/2 Teaspoon Marjoram
              1/2 Teaspoon Dry Basil
              1/2 Teaspoon Garlic salt

Combine and let sit for 1 hour.

For Each Nine Inch Pizza:

1. Preheat oven to 475F
      2. Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1" of edge.
      3. Distribute 1 1/2 Oz. shredded mozzarella cheese on sauce.
      4. Place toppings of your choice in this order:
         Pepperoni or Ham
         Vegetables
         Meats (cooked ground sausage or beef)
      5. Top with 3 Oz. mozzarella cheese
      6. Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown.
      7. Cut in six slices.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »
Dan,

I thought what you posted looked familiar, and a Google search confirmed it: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/525/Pizza_Hut_Original_Pan_Pizza41605.shtml.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
And it looks like it is a slightly modified version of of the recipe XPH Mgr posted as post number one on this very same thread a few years ago and is included on the main page recipes of this site.  Looks like your find is actually a copy from this site.

It is always a good idea to try a recipe before posting so that you can give a good review
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:47:39 AM by Randy »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »
 >:( Dammit, I hate being busted by the forum police.  :-D  Thanks for keeping this place in check guys. I thought I stumbled upon the mother load OUTSIDE of this site, but I will check here next time first. Consider it a moment of spontaneous lack of judgement.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
In an almost completely unrelated side-note, CDKitchen sometimes has some very looney recipes trying to imitate the real thing.  For instance:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/59/Mocha_Frappuccino60809.shtml

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »
DNA Dan no harm no foul.  Keep posting

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline elpresidente408

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
Having worked at a Pizza Hut express for 2 years, I can say that the recipe from the last post is probably the most accurate. We would get the frozen dough cakes, squirt about 3oz of vegetable oil on the bottom of the pan, place the dough inside, spray the edges with food release (soybean oil), and let proof. After it rises about an inch or two, you stamp it down creating a depression in the center. Fill it up with the toppings and bake for 7 minutes in their convection ovens. This was for those personal 6" pies. We also got the dough pre-made.

I am still convinced that their dough was not made from anything natural lol. It would often smell like nail polish remover and would rise no matter where. Sometimes if we were short on proofed breadstick dough, we would proof it on top of the oven. Worked like a charm in 1/4 of the time it's supposed to take.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:08:51 PM by elpresidente408 »

Offline Peterubers

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
I made the recipe from the very first post of this thread -- only difference is that I split all the ingredients exactly down the middle to accomodate my 10" skillet, and I did not have dry milk so I excluded that.  I followed the directions exactly and only had time for 3 hours in the fridge.

The results were phenomenal -- tastes JUST LIKE PIZZA HUT.  I am a believer in this recipe.  I did 500 deg in a gas oven with pizza stone preheated for 45 minutes, then the seasoned skillet was placed directly on the stone for exactly 15 minutes. 

I put my italian sausage on uncooked and made the pieces very thin so it would cook within the span of 15 minutes, and it worked fine (the thickest piece was no more than 1/4 inch).

I used Harvest King unbleached white flour (Gold Medal), Fleichman's yeast, 6n1 doctored up with EVO and seasonings for my sauce and saputo's whole milk mozzo.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
I made up the dough using this recipe in the evening two days ago and baked it last night. This is the first time I attempted making a pan pizza.  I used King Arthur Bread Flour, 100 degree water, low fat dry milk, and 1 packet instant yeast for the recipe. I mixed/kneaded the dough in my Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook on speed 2 for 10 minutes. In my short career of making pizzas at home I've never had a dough turn out this nice!

I used half the dough in a 9 x 13 no stick lasagna pan, I dressed the pizza right to the edge of the pan. I baked it for 12 minutes in my gas oven with the pan sitting on a baking stone that was pre-heated for 30min.

This made a fantastic pizza! Just what I wanted. I was hoping to start with this recipe and then try and recreate the pan style pizza sold at a local pizza place. (Jets Pizza http://jetspizza.net/) You can see a picture on their home page of what I was trying to achieve. I think the cheese right on the edge melts and forms a crispy browned rim around the top edge of the pizza. Anyway this recipe just nailed it the first try, 100 times better than I expected it would turn out.

I baked the other half of the dough in a slightly smaller rectangle bright silver pan my wife uses for making cakes. Between baking it second and the different pan it didn't turn out as nice. The pizza stuck to the sides of the pan, the bottom didn't brown up as nice and it absorbed more oil I think.

Offline Bread Maker

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »
Hey there. It's my first post.  :)

I think I am going to try this recipe, but replace the powdered milk with corn meal. I found another "copycat" recipe on another site, and it called for that.  I don't think I have the milk, so I might give it a try. Anyway, I love the forum. Glad I can be here.

Offline Bread Maker

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
I did it with the corn meal and it was alright. It was just WAY TOO thick. It was like 2 inches thick. I'm still a novice, I guess. I guess it also doesn't help to not have a pizza stone. I went to Menards and another small hardware store and I can't find those quarry stones.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:57:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Bread Maker

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2008, 11:47:07 PM »
Bread Maker,

Peter

Thanks. I noticed from some of the responses that the bottom was also an issue for a couple. That, in fact, was an issue for me as well. I didn't use nearly enough oil (just enough to coat the bottom) and it was a bit tough getting it out. It was also sticking to the sides. All in all, the dough was actually somewhat tasty, a little. And....I skimped and cut corners, so it wasn't a total failure. Pretty much my first attempt at this style of pie.

By the way, it looks like you put in lots of effort to this forum. Thanks for that!

God Bless.
BM

Offline Jad

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
Hi all!

I tried this recipe as my very first attempt at cooking my own pizza and it turned out great. Well it was extremely high (2-2.5") but it still tasted yummy as. We don't have deep pan that deep in down under, well not from Pizza Hut anyways. My 2nd attempt I simply made two pizzas from the exact same recipe like I noticed some others in this forum have done as well. It turned out perfect!

Anyway I was just curious, what kind of sugar are you all using? I've been using caster sugar but wondering is there a better I should be using. I'm a big fan of raw sugar in general but I'm not sure if that would work with this recipe. Any help is good help.

Also here in AUS the Pizza Hut deep pan has a crispness on the top of the pizza at the edges and side of the surface (the crust). The bottom of my pizzas are perfect but at the top of the crust and even the side of the pizza could be a little crisper. Would painting some more vegetable oil on these parts with a cooking brush just before placing the pizza in the oven do the trick? I can feel my arteries blocking up already but hey, if it tastes good right?  :chef:

pizzapan