Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 119431 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
dicepackage,

Having gone through your mathematical analysis, I am sure you know this, but for the benefit of others, the math simplifies to the ratio of the squares of the radii: (4.5 x 4.5)/(7 x 7) = 0.41.

The advantage of using the expanded dough calculating tool (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html) is that if you enter the thickness factor (see below), along with the baker's percents given at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909 and the desired pizza size (9" in your case), the tool will do all of the number crunching and conversions from weights to volumes. Plus, you can use a bowl residue compensation if you'd like. For the original PH clone recipe, for a 14" pizza, the thickness factor is 37.39 oz./(3.14159 x 7 x 7) = 0.24289. For the 22 ounce version of the PH clone recipe, the thickness factor is 22 oz./(3.14159 x 7 x 7) = 0.14291.

Peter

Offline Bread Maker

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
The television show America's Test Kitchen on PBS made a phenominal looking pan pizza on a recent episode.

I really want to try this:

http://sseichinger.blogspot.com/2008/08/make-pan-pizza.html

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
I don't know if I'm crazy or just tired, but I can't find this recipe in bakers % anywhere in this post and I would assume someone (Pete-zza) would of put this recipe into bakers % by now.  I would like to try it out.  I bought a couple of seasoned 6" Pizza Hut type pans of the net and though I'd try em out for the kids.
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2009, 01:37:44 PM »
I converted the weights from the recipe in the recipes section to bakers percentages:

Bread Flour   637.9   100.00%
Water   354.4   55.56%
ADY           7.7   1.21%
Pwd Milk   14.2   2.23%
Salt           5.7   0.89%
Sugar           11.9   1.87%
Veg Oil   28.4   4.45%
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Thanks Trogdor33!  Is there any way to convert the ADY to IDY?
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
Tony,

As previously discussed, some time ago, at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909, I converted the basic PH clone pan dough recipe to baker's percent format but I scaled the recipe down to 22 ounces of dough for a 14" pan. Those two numbers came from a member who, at the time he posted, worked for Pizza Hut. I used the conversion data that is embedded in the dough calculating tools, which is perhaps why my numbers differ a bit from those that Joe (Trogdor33) came up with. When I did my original conversion, I calculated a total dough weight of 37.39 ounces. If you use that number in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, along with the aforementioned baker's percents, you should come up with numbers similar to what Joe posted. Or you can use the thickness factor I came up with in Reply 140 in this thread to come up with numbers for other pan sizes.

For ADY to IDY yeast conversion purposes, you might take a look at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm. That conversion will change the final dough weight and the dough formulation a bit but not by enough to worry about.

Peter

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Tony,

I was in the middle of submitting when I noticed Peter had already replied, but since I spent the time typing, I will still throw in my $0.02.

IDY = ADY * 3 / 4

ADY = IDY * 4 / 3

The table that Peter linked to is basically an enumeration of these formulas.

-Joe
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
Guys,

Thanks.  I figured it had been done somewhere, I was just looking in the wrong place.  So as far as the ADY to IDY, could I use the figure of 1.18518%, and put into the expanded calculator or do I need to convert differently off the chart from theartisan.net?  Also, there are 2 different TF is Peter's post.  Which one would be the correct one?  It doesn't vary from size to size does it?  Thanks again for all the help.

Tony

:pizza: 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »
Tony,

You can use the theartisan.net yeast conversion table but I usually use the conversion factors that Joe posted. The conversion table is most convenient when you are working with specific weights or volumes of yeast. For your purposes, in the expanded dough calculating tool I would use 3/4 x 1.18518% ADY = 0.88882% IDY.

You are correct that I gave two thickness factor numbers in Reply 140. The first one, 0.24289, applies if you want to scale the original PH clone pan dough recipe posted in the Recipe section of this forum (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php) to your particular pan size (6"). If you want to use the scaled down version that came out the input of the PH employee (at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909) but scale it down even further for your 6" pan size, then you would use the second thickness factor, 0.14291. The two approaches will produce different amounts of dough.

If you want to take a first crack at coming up with the dough formulation for your 6" pan size, I can take a look at it if you'd like.

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
Here's the formulation I came up for a 6" PH pan pizza.  Peter, if you could check it and see how I did?

Flour (100%):
Water (55.555%):
IDY (.88882%):
Salt (.875%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (4.27199%):
Sugar (1.875%):
Dry Non-Fat Milk (2.35155%):
Total (165.81736%):
69.08 g  |  2.44 oz | 0.15 lbs
38.38 g  |  1.35 oz | 0.08 lbs
0.61 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.2 tsp | 0.07 tbsp
0.6 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.11 tsp | 0.04 tbsp
2.95 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
1.3 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.32 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
1.62 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 1.13 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
114.55 g | 4.04 oz | 0.25 lbs | TF = 0.14291

With Instructions:
In a stand mixer (KitchenAid) fitted with a dough hook, add the water, yeast and powdered milk.

Mix the remaining dry ingredients together in a separate container and add them to the mixer.

Mix on low (speed 2) until most of the flour and water have mixed, then continue kneading for 10 minutes. The dough will be loose and scrappy at first and will quickly form a moist, smooth cohesive ball (while the dough is still scrappy, add the vegetable oil).

While the dough is kneading, add about 2 tsp of vegetable oil to a 6" pan style pizza pan making sure that the oil completely covers the bottom.

After the dough has been kneaded for 10 minutes, remove it from the mixing bowl and, using a rolling pin, roll it out to approximately 1/2" thick and about 6" in diameter. If you have more dough than you need, save the remainder for another time.

Place the dough in the pan and cover tightly.

Let the dough rise until it has filled the entire pan and is about 3/4" thick.

Place the pan (still covered) into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (up to 24 hours).

WHEN READY TO MAKE

Preheat oven to 500 °F for about 30-45 minutes.

Remove dough from the refrigerator and add sauce, cheese, and toppings.

Bake at 500 °F on a pizza stone for 14 minutes.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2009, 12:44:09 PM »
Tony,

You done good. However, if you plan to make only one dough ball for your 6" pan, you will have difficulty trying to make a 4.04 ounce dough ball in your stand mixer, and the instructions that you set forth, especially the knead times, are unlikely to apply as they would to a much larger dough batch size. Likewise, as to the bake time. I doubt that you will need 14 minutes to bake your 6" pizza.

The original instructions say to roll out the piece of dough to a size that is smaller than the pan size, whereas your instructions say to roll the dough piece out to the same size as your pan. I don't think that it will make much difference, but I will leave to you as to how to proceed. Moreover, since you are using the lower thickness factor value, I don't think you will have any leftover dough.

For the record, the dry non-fat milk is the Carnation's brand of dry non-fat milk as found in most supermarkets.

If you plan to make several dough balls, you might want to add 1.5% as a bowl residue compensation factor.

Good luck, and please let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
My family and I are going up to my parents house for the week and my mom wants me to make pizza one of the days we are up there. She is going to be amazed when she sees all the stuff I have to bring. I made 3 balls of my normal NY recipe, but since I will have two brand new lloyd pstk deep dish pans, I decided to make a couple PH pan dough balls to take up too. Since we won't get there until monday night, I cut down the yeast and am going to cold ferment until we get there and then roll out and proof at room temp until it is nice and puffy. I added the lactic acid because... well, I always add lactic acid now. Once you get used to that flavor, it's hard to go without.

ounces   grams
KASL           100.00%   27.94   792.19
Water   55.56%   15.52   440.1
IDY           0.40%   0.11   3.17
Salt           0.88%   0.24   6.93
Oil           4.27%   1.19   33.83
NFDM           2.35%   0.66   18.63
Lactic Acid 0.70%   0.2   5.55

I pretty much followed xphmgr's instructions except that I had to hand knead after a few mins in the KA since the dough was so tough. Next time I may try adapting this recipe to a wet knead. I'll post pictures after I bake.

Offline yelloguy

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
Does this recipe require warm water?  I just finished making two crusts like it says.  Its been two hours but the crusts have not risen.  I am afraid if I put them in the fridge now, they will never rise.

When I make dough the usual ways, I use warm water and the dough balls double in size in an hour or so.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
yelloguy,

The recipe, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php, is silent as to water temperature and the room temperature. 

Peter

Offline yelloguy

« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »
Thanks Pete.  Searching some more, I think my problem is not the water temp (it probably should be cold).  After 4 cups of flour, the dough looked nicely done.  But following the recipe, I added half cup more thinking it probably needs harder dough.  That was probably my fatal mistake since after running the dough maker for 10 minutes, I had to give it about 3 minutes more to make it smoother.  The dough came out so hard that I had to use a rolling pin to stretch/roll it and even then it took a lot of force.

I think its going to be a disaster in the evening.  But that should teach me not to try out new recipes in front of other people.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Can Pan!
Got it! Last time I had too much dough in the pan and it rose to about 2" this time I halved it, and it was perfect. I forgot to weigh before placing in pan  :'(. I was going by feel and what I started with last time.
Anyway came out just like the PH Pan I purchased many a time, thickness, and crumb (tight air voids) were right on! Bottom golden brown soft with a almost fried bottom. I let the dough rise in the pan for a good hr. with EVOO on top then I laid down a nice layer of provolone. I know its not in the P Hut recipe, but I wanted to kick it up a notch, and it was a great taste! provy, sauce mozz,pepperoni, and more Grande. I cooked it about 15 min @400 center rack. Did this when I was done with the cracker. Because I wanted to go to both ends of the spectrum. I enjoyed this pizza very much!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:54:11 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline epicalien

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »
Pizza Hut Pan Pizza ( Makes one 14” Pan Pizza )
King Arthur Bread Flour      13.24oz
Great Value Bottled Water          7.36oz
Fleishmann’s Active Dry Yeast     0.16oz
Morton’s Kosher Salt           0.12oz
Vegetable Oil              0.57oz
Sugar                 0.25oz
Dry Non-Fat Milk           0.31oz
***This is a hybrid between my own personal tastes and xPHmgr’s Pizza Hut Recipe from the front page of this website.  I used quite a bit from xPHmgr’s recipe so I am not claiming this to be my original recipe.  I just had some excellent results with this hybrid and would love to give back to the community that has helped me so much.  I would still be making canned biscuit pizzas if it weren’t for you guys and gals. Ha ha***
Mix water and dry non-fat milk together.
Heat 1 minute on high heat in microwave (approx. 130-140 degrees) to disable the whey protein. (I read this somewhere.)  Then let cool to 105 degrees so you don’t kill the yeast.
Add yeast & mix thoroughly until fully dissolved.  Let stand for approx. 10 minutes.
Using the Paddle Attachment on “STIR” speed:
Pour the yeast/water mixture into the stand mixer bowl.
Add the flour, salt, & sugar to the stand mixer bowl and continue to mix.(about 2 min.)
Mix until the flour has absorbed & then add the vegetable oil & continue to mix.
(approx. 1 to 2 minutes)
Switch to the Spiral Dough Hook and knead on speed “2” for approx. 15 minutes.
Add a ½ cup (4oz) of vegetable oil to a 14” deep dish pizza pan.
Roll out the dough until it is 12” in diameter and put it into the 14” pan.
Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise and fill the 14” pan.
I sprayed the underside of the plastic wrap with Pam’s cooking spray so the dough wouldn’t stick to it.
Place the pan into the fridge for 24 hours.
When ready to cook:
Take the pan out of the fridge and spray the crust ring with Pam Cooking Spray.
Press down the center part (everything but the crust ring) with your hands or an appropriate sized plastic lid.
Preheat the oven to 450 °F for 40 minutes with the pizza stone on bottom rack.
Add sauce, cheese, and toppings. (We used pepperoni, whole milk mozzarella, bacon, green peppers, and onions).
Bake at 450°F in the pan directly on the pizza stone for approximately 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Pizza Hut Sauce I use (I think it tastes just like Pizza Hut’s sauce)
½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Sugar
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (8 oz) can tomato paste

Offline epicalien

« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2010, 04:31:42 AM »
Here's the pan I used.  It is a 14" Chicago Metallic Round bought from Amazon.com.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:59:53 PM by epicalien »

Offline Biaviian

« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
I did this (followed the recipe in the OP) and used 450of.  I also used olive oil in the dough because I didn't have any vegetable oil.  Then I realized that I didn't want to use olive oil in the pan so I borrowed some canola oil.  I found that there is way too much oil.  The crust just tasted like fried dough.  I also found that I didn't use enough sauce.  I just used a jarred sauce (Del Grosso NY Style Pizza Sauce).  I also used a low fat shredded mozzarella cheese.  I also let the dough sit in the fridge for 22.5 hours.  Before saucing the dough I pressed down the center of the dough (all but the crust ring). 

I then baked it for 20 minutes (the oven preheated for about 40 minutes and I baked it on the lowest rack on a stone) and allowed it to sit in the oven (oven off and door open about 10") for 5 minutes prior to cutting.  I used the same pan as the above poster.  I did find a few things. 

• Too much oil in the pan.  Next time I will cut it down in half.
  • The crust ring did not brown.  The underside was a perfect color.  Next time I will brush a bit of butter or oil in the crust ring.
  • I did not put enough sauce on the pizza.  I used about 10.5 ounces
  • The crust was too thick.  The outer crust was the perfect size but the rest of the crust (I'll call it inner crust) was too thick.  I'd like it about 3/4 the thickness.

I'm not sure what to do about the last item but the rest I can take care of.  It did taste a lot like Pizza Hut.  I felt there was a little something missing but I feel the lack of sauce was the issue.  I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures but I didn't think of it until it was too late.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
Biavilian,

You might take a look at Reply 6 in this thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909.

Peter

pizzapan