Author Topic: My upcoming pizza odyssey...  (Read 1322 times)

Offline souspizzaiolo

My upcoming pizza odyssey...
« on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
Long time reader and pizza maker, first time poster here! Woohoo! Hey y'alls my name is Johnny G and I call myself Souspizzaiolo. I've been making pizza and managing pizza joints for 10 years. I recently quit my fulltime pizza making gig at the Broadway Brewery Broadwaybrewery.com in Columbia Missouri and am embarking on a 1-2 month pizza odyssey to the Northeast to visit pizzerias, eat a lot of pie, meet pizza makers etc...All of this is leading to the opening of my MWFO in my town in spring of 2013! I'm wicked scared and excited about the whole thing.

Anyhow I'm planning on hitting up all my favorite joints that i've never eaten. Avalanche Pizza in Ohio, a handful of MWFO's in VT, Maine Wood Heat, MWFO's in Maine, CT and MA, New Haven, NYC, and finishing things up in Philadelphia with a visit to Pizza Brain. If anyone has any suggestions for other stops along the way that would be great, or if anyone wants to meet up and talk pie, or if anyone wants some rock solid temp help on a MWFO, please hit me up. 

This site rocks, and I can't wait to get to know everyone and report on my findings.

Cheers y'all!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My upcoming pizza odyssey...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Sounds like an exciting adventure for sure. Do send pics of all those interesting places you visit. Good luck on your new business ventures in the spring.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
Sounds like a great trip!

Don't forget Larry's (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3590)
place in Oberlin, OH, and see if you could find one of the events that John
(http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8056)
caters in NJ. PM both of them.  I'm sure there will be plenty more suggestions. 

good luck, looking forward to hearing more
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum and please document your trips with pictures. Have fun eating and eventually opening your own place.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Hey Johnny G!

I'm in Columbus, OH and just started up a mobile WFO business this year. It seems scary, but after a bit, that all melts away and reality kicks in  8) :chef: :pizza:

PM me and let me know when you're planning on being around these parts. I'd love to meet up and talk pizza. And I've been wanting to head out to avalanche pizza for a while now. I follow John from avalanche at www.pizzagoon.com and have talked with him and Joel (manager) at some local pizza competitions. I've been telling them I want to stop by and have yet to do so. Your trip would be a good reason to go along.

Indeed, do some serious documentation! I'd love to see the pizza side of your trip. Good Luck and Have Fun!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline souspizzaiolo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
Goremade! I got an email in draft headed your way today. Yeah let's head down there together if we can swing it. John is my pizza hero, but he doesn't know it yet. Id like to chat it up with you too.  I'm really hoping that John might let me sling dish and watch him from the other side of the kitchen on a friday night while he bakes for saturday market. That food is so impressive, fun, and delicious looking. And the volume is off the charts for what he's working with.

Thanks for the support y'all! And keep the destinations flowing...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
I ate at Avalanche several years ago. Considering the hype (with the USPT and whatnot), I was very disappointed. I mean, this pizza was akin to Little Caesar's. It was cheap and it tasted cheap. Nothing like what I had been led to expect.

Offline souspizzaiolo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
It's day one and I had 3 different slices in my hometown for lunch (more on that later), drove 4 hours, got all my clothes stolen from me and am still alive to tell the story! If you wanna see more about it go to http://www.facebook.com/PizzaOdyssey and "like" me! With the robbery and the redbirds winning it's gonna be an exciting trip for sure!

Thanks a lot, and wish me luck please! Apparently I'm gonna need it!

http://www.facebook.com/PizzaOdyssey
http://www.facebook.com/john.gilbreth.7

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »
I recommend keeping your stuff in black plastic trash bags.  Someone looking in the truck window will just see a bunch of trash, and won't bother breaking in.  You're going to be living on the road in the rough, so you gotta learn the rules of the road. 

Lesson #1:  lock it up!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
Welcome John!
I see you over on the mobile FB forum I am in Jersey sio should be early inthe adventure I will show you the goods Pizza Town !! Amano .... give me a shout out !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline souspizzaiolo

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
Conklin! I"ll be seein you. I dunno when yet since you are in that grey area between Maine and NYC. I'll let you know as soon as i know though! Can't wait to meet ya.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
John,

If you get near the Lancaster area of Pa. stop by and see Steve (Ev) and me at Root's market on a Tuesday.  I sure wouldn't say I have the best pizzas, but do make 3 different types of pizzas at market.  Steve (Ev) has two WFO's, but they aren't at the market where my very small pizza stand is.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Following your adventures as we travel thru France and Italy next. Thanks for the report and video. Good luck And happy pizza!!!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan