Author Topic: Steel Plates on the Grill  (Read 1646 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Steel Plates on the Grill
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
I have seen lots of discussions using steel plates in the home oven, what about on the grill?

Bert,

Offline slybarman

Re: Steel Plates on the Grill
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
Seems like the steel is being used mostly as a crutch for lower heat home ovens. Most grill probably get plenty of bottom heat, so the steel is not necessary.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »
Last weekend, we had 70 deg F in Houston, I usually use 2 burners to heat up my MPO. My bottom 13" pizza stone didn't go higher than 550 F I think, usually at warmer weather it reach over 600 F easily.

I am wondering if a steel plate would do better than a stone in colder weather on the grill.
Bert,

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
My experience with steel plate in my oven is that the heat transfer is so efficient that it was hard to balance top and bottom heat (even using my broiler), and that the bottom would be done far before the top. I imagine that this would get even harder to manage on a grill.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
My experience with steel plate in my oven is that the heat transfer is so efficient that it was hard to balance top and bottom heat (even using my broiler), and that the bottom would be done far before the top. I imagine that this would get even harder to manage on a grill.

Barry

+1

Steel plate on the grill + a friend with a weedburner might work...  opening a new frontier of 15-second pies!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:56:16 AM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
Steel plate is way too conductive on a grill. Overkill :   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13610.0.html
unless you have an IR burner of top, it's a waste of good flour.
Don
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:54:52 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »
The steel plate doesn't get any hotter than the stone, it just transmits the heat better.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
Steel plate is way too conductive on a grill. Overkill :   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13610.0.html
unless you have an IR burner of top, it's a waste of good flour.
Don

Thanks for sharing the link ...There is so much information on this forum.. It is amazing.

The steel plate doesn't get any hotter than the stone, it just transmits the heat better.

On a cold days, steel bottom plate should work better than a round bottom stone with MPO.  if my stone temp doesn't go over 550 F. I should expect a steel plate not to go over 550f, at this temp  my pizza should not burn right away.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:31:08 PM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Steel plate on the grill + a friend with a weedburner might work...  opening a new frontier of 15-second pies!

Brian, I think, it all depend on amount of BTUs you are burning under your steel plate and your outdoor temperature.
Bert,

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Brian, I think, it all depend on amount of BTUs you are burning under your steel plate and your outdoor temperature.

What I was getting at was that IF you have top heat that can meet & beat the high conductivity of steel, you could be looking at sub-30 bakes at a steel temp of 550.  That's why steel bakers use their broilers to finish the top before the bottom turns into inedible char.  The challenge is the top heat.  With your MPO setup, I don't think you will accrue enough top heat before the steel turns the bottom into a charcoal frisbee.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

scott123

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
What I was getting at was that IF you have top heat that can meet & beat the high conductivity of steel, you could be looking at sub-30 bakes at a steel temp of 550.  That's why steel bakers use their broilers to finish the top before the bottom turns into inedible char.  The challenge is the top heat.  With your MPO setup, I don't think you will accrue enough top heat before the steel turns the bottom into a charcoal frisbee.

+1

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »
That make sense Brian.

This Sunday, we are a having 70 deg weather, I will be testing  my latest prototype. It should contain the heat much better since I eliminated the front opening, which I never used anyway..
Bert,

pizzapan