Author Topic: stone directly on heating element  (Read 1359 times)

Offline frasier

• I Love Pizza!
stone directly on heating element
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »
Hi,
I have a small heavy duty pizza oven that heats up to 550f. I would like to remove the rack and place the stone directly on the heating element. I think this rack is useless. This is a pizza oven and not used for anything else. I've checked the element brackets and they will hold the stone securely.
Does anyone know if the heating element in direct contact with the stone would crack the stone? Do you think it will heat the stone evenly?
I might go ahead and test this setup. I was just wondering if any else had any thoughts.

Thank you
Lisa

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Re: stone directly on heating element
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 09:58:34 PM »
There are a number of accounts on this forum regarding cracked stones. I suspect that putting a stone directly on a heating element will likely crack it due to uneven heating. It's probably better to use a long preheat (1 hour or so).
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: stone directly on heating element
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 08:15:49 AM »
This has been discussed before. Placing the stone directly on the heating element will superheat the stone and the bottom of your pizza will burn. Trust me on this one, I've tried it several times! Burned to a cinder!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

pizzapan