Author Topic: Sicilian-style dessert pizza?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline SonnyC79

Sicilian-style dessert pizza?
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
Hello, maybe this is sacrilegious, but I'm going to go ahead and ask this anyway.  Does anybody have any ideas for how to make a dessert pizza using this Sicilian style dough/technique?  I think that the crunchy, fried dough might go well with nutella, powdered sugar, caramelized apples, etc etc, but I'm not sure how or when you would apply toppings to the pizza.  Would any cheese (vanilla mascarpone, perhaps) be necessary?  Would you apply cheese and toppings all POST-bake?  Again, I know this may be a strange request, but I'm just sitting here daydreaming of pizza dough  ;)

buceriasdon

Re: Sicilian-style dessert pizza?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
SonnyC79,

RamirOkís formulation isnít really for a Sicilian pizza, but I thought his schiacciata allíuva was really good. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16883.0.html  I could imagine it with other toppings like you have mentioned.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
Hello, maybe this is sacrilegious, but I'm going to go ahead and ask this anyway.  Does anybody have any ideas for how to make a dessert pizza using this Sicilian style dough/technique?  I think that the crunchy, fried dough might go well with nutella, powdered sugar, caramelized apples, etc etc, but I'm not sure how or when you would apply toppings to the pizza.  Would any cheese (vanilla mascarpone, perhaps) be necessary?  Would you apply cheese and toppings all POST-bake?  Again, I know this may be a strange request, but I'm just sitting here daydreaming of pizza dough  ;)

If using Nutella or Mascarpone cheese, you definitely want to apply it post bake.  It takes very little heat to melt either.  If you apply it pre bake, it will all turn into liquid and maybe spill out in your oven.  I would put melted butter down as if using a pizza sauce if you are going to use melted butter.  Next top with fresh bananas with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Or you can skip the butter and just go with the caramelized apples.  Bake it till it's done...or even consider putting the fruit topping half way through the cooking process with just butter down initially.   Once the pizza is done, take it out of the oven and apply dallops of nutella, mascarpone cheese, or both and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top as a finishing touch.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:00:34 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:47 AM »
This is one dessert pizza I made with Novemberís dessert dough with apples at Reply 17 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19574.msg192572.html#msg192572  If you are interested, the other dessert pizzas are also on the same thread.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SonnyC79

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Thanks a lot for all of the tips and directions, guys!  There are some really creative people on this board, and I hope to one day live up to some of the creations that are posted all over this site. 

That schiacciata allíuva looks really special, too.  I had never heard of it, but it will definitely be added to the list of future experiments :)

Thanks again!

pizzapan