Author Topic: Two beer doughs and one Marco’s dough for Steve’s beer brewing picnic  (Read 2068 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I was invited to Steve’s beer brewing club picnic tomorrow.  I decided to make some different doughs to try out in Steve’s WFO.  I had thought what could be more appropriate than beer doughs for a beer brewing club picnic. The first dough was made with the V8 beer Steve gave me.  I used 50 grams of beer and 44.54 grams of water along with 60% hydration using Pizzeria flour and 0.45% ADY, along with 3.0% sea salt.  I am not sure, but don’t think I should have proofed the ADY in the beer and water mixture.  The beer and water mixture were heated in the microwave, but not too high to kill the ADY.  The mixture really bubbled a lot when I added the ADY.  I let it proof for about 15 minutes.  I then mixed the dough by hand.  I had mixed that about 24 hrs. ago and did use the poppy seed trick, but when I got home from market today the poppy seeds didn’t move at all.  I am not sure if I used enough ADY, or if the beer might have killed the ADY.

This morning I also started a Marco’s pizza romana/pizza al taglio as Marco posted at Reply 3  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2627.msg22867.html#msg22867   I thought that dough also sounded interesting.  The amount of water in Marco’s dough compared to the flour would have made the dough 75% hydration, but I have no idea what hydration it is with the added oil.  I started the poolish this morning and wondered how the preferment would be ready in 10-12 hrs if kept in the fridge.  I know from making the preferment Lehmann dough the preferment needed heating in my Hatco Unit to be able to even bubble a little with heat.  I left the preferment in the oven with the light on for about 1 ˝ hrs. this morning, then refrigerated it until I returned from market.  It was bubbling some, but I didn’t think enough, so it went back into the oven with the light on.  The preferment did bubble enough, (I thought) in another 2 hrs. in the oven.  I then used the rest of Marco’s dough recipe.  The last picture is what the dough looks like now.  I sure don’t know how that dough will turn out, or if it even will be okay baked in a WFO.  The dough sure is sticky.  Marco’s dough was made with 50/50 Power flour and Mondako flour. 

I also started mixing another beer dough tonight.  It is going to tried to be controlled temperature proofed in a little Styrofoam container some cheese came in with some ice packets.  I used part of a bottle of Elysian Bete Blance Tripel beer Steve gave me to drink for the second beer dough.  I used the same formulation as the first beer dough, but decreased the ADY amount to 0.20 grams.  I didn’t add the ADY to the beer and water, but just added the ADY to the water and left it proof that way, since the other beer dough doesn’t seem to be fermenting.  Both beer doughs were for 255 grams.  I also used the same percentages (blend) of beer and water in the second beer dough.     

I have no idea if any of these doughs are going to be any good to bake into pizzas, but will post how they turn out.  I only hope one of these doughs will be okay to bake into a pizza.  I drank the rest of the leftover beers last night and tonight and they were very good.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I worked with Marco’s dough a lot last evening and really couldn’t get the sticky dough shaped right, so I just scaled 3 dough balls to 500 grams each, balled the best I could and oiled them. What a mess that was in trying to clean everything.  The dough balls then went into the fridge overnight.  I remembered this morning cold dough might ball better.  It did ball better and then I coated 2 dough balls with flour.  The one dough ball I just left in my fridge and don’t know what I am going to do with that dough ball.  I did use the poppy seed trick (for one dough ball) to see how much the dough ferments until it is tried to be made into a pizza.  There were 3 total dough balls made from Marco's recipe with some dough left over. 

The first dough ball I made with beer still wasn’t fermenting any until this morning so I placed it in the oven with the light on to see if I killed the yeast, or if I had not added enough ADY for it to ferment.  After two hours in the oven with the light on it is fermenting.  I will watch it and wait until I think it needs to go into the controlled temperature cheese Styrofoam box.

The second dough ball made with beer also didn’t ferment any until this morning in the controlled temperature Styrofoam box.  The temperature in the controlled Styrofoam box was only 56  degrees F, and with the little amount of ADY that was used, I think I can understand why that dough ball didn’t ferment any.  That dough ball is also now in the oven with the light on.  It is fermenting a little.

I know I am not good at judging how much ADY to use to do a cold ferment, or even when using ADY in a controlled temperature setting for 1 day.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I had a great time at Steve’s beer brewer’s picnic yesterday and my experimental doughs did turn out okay when baked into pizzas, but I don’t know if I would try the same doughs again.

I guess I didn’t study enough about adding beer to dough.  I didn’t realize that the dough would be drier, so I guess I should have either added more beer, or water, to the formulations I used.  I could tell when opening the two beer doughballs that the dough did feel drier than a regular 60% hydration with Pizzeria flour, but the dough balls did open okay.  The first beer dough pizza I made was with the Elysian Bete Blance beer.  That pizza also had some chili oil that I had made with chili I purchased at the Asian store.  I don’t know why the dough made with the V8 beer had a darker rim crust after baking.   

Marco’s dough did work okay to when made into a round pizza.  It was very light and had a good taste.  I gave one dough ball to Steve to see if he wanted to try it in a pan.  The other dough ball is still in my fridge and has a big bubble on top this morning. 

Many of the people that attended the beer brewer’s picnic did make their own pizzas in Steve’s WFO and some brought their own doughs.  Others used Steve’s dough balls.  Frank brought his crazy dough that he turned into really good pizzas.  I liked Frank’s shirt that said flour child.  Frank rolls out his dough, then hand stretches it and forms edges on it.  I still don’t understand how Frank just cuts off a piece of dough from the big dough mass and it doesn’t give him any stretch-back.  Some of his pizzas he par-baked, then added a lot of toppings.  Steve’s one neighbor brought his Reinhart doughs and those pizzas were really good baked in Steve’s WFO.  There were no rules on how anyone made the pizzas and it is fun to watch how everyone makes their pizzas.  There were a lot of pizzas made that I didn’t get pictures of.  Many people brought their own dressings for the pizzas.  I really like the apple, walnut pizza.

There were many kinds of pizzas that came out of Steve’s WFO with many people making them. I really enjoyed watching everyone making pizzas.  It become cool when the sun was starting to set.

It was a beautiful day to have a home brew brewers picnic and I got to try many different beers that I had never tasted before.  Thanks Steve for inviting me!  I ate way too much pizza and other foods.  :-D

First set of pictures are the dough made with the Elysian Bete Blanche beer.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Chili oil used on last pizza and the next pictures are of the V8 beer dough pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Two beer doughs and one Marco’s dough for Steve’s beer brewing picnic
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
Marco's dough pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
Some pictures of the different pizzas made and of the beer brewers picnic at Steve's yesterday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
Norma