Author Topic: First Fire  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Xander432

First Fire
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
I had a mobile WFO made a few weeks ago and finally had some time to put some pizzas together.

Up until now, I've been using a pizza stone with my regular oven with either ADY or Sour Dough recipes. I've liked the way my dough has come out so far but I've also felt that it was missing something(s). The WFO completely helped with the taste, texture and appearance issues I was having.

I ended up making three pizzas.
(1) Pepperoni - Pretty good, cooking surface could've been a little hotter.
(2)* Margherita - Stuck to my new peel, pulled it aside and cooked it last...blah
(3) Pepperoni - Didnt control the fire too great and the oven was too cool. It was a little doughy but still pretty good.

* recooked the margherita and it was bad.

Dough:

100% (500G)       -  Caputo '00' Flour Red Bag
61%   (305)         -  Bottled Water
03%   (15)           -  Kosher Salt
1/8 Teaspoon ADY

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: First Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:05:11 AM »
Hi!

I'd sure like to see some more pics.  I'm not sure if the pics were misleading or not, but it looks like you have a uninsulated metal 1/2 barrel on top of firebrick.  With a chimney in the back.  Please say that's not the case.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Xander432

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:05:32 AM »
Nope. I had two arcs rolled, one with a smaller radius. Has 3 layers of ceramic insulation between the arcs. The back side is also layered with insulation. That mass is on a tray of fire brick, which I'm still working on a better idea. The chimney is up front. Pizza Moto out of Brooklyn uses one similar to this.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »
Looking closely at mobileWFO1, I can see the weld line where the inner arc is.  The oven looks really tall (too much headroom) and the door looks really large. Any possibility you can have another arc added to bring down the interior height? Add a sliding door to the front to help hold in the heat?

Do you have an IR gun?  What are the temps that the oven reaches currently?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Xander432

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
I do have another piece that goes across the inner arc, so it does cut down the height a little. It was put there foams another form of insulation, so the heat isn't directly on the first arc. My intentions were to have another arc on the inside with a little stand-off like you are suggesting but I completely forgot about it and didn't want to delay the build anymore.

The door is 17"X10"

ID of the oven is 41" X 39"

I was getting 850-ish where you see the pizza laying, with a small fire. The back end and furthest parts of the oven were a lot cooler.

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
What is your inner dome height?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
as important as dome (alsmost scott) to us mobile operators what is the Hieght Hearth/ floor ? 5X8 utility trailer.?
thanks !!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Xander432

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Inner dome is 19.5". 

Flooring is 45"L X 45"W X 3"H, using 9x3x4.5 inch Able Refractory brick. I'm probably going to swap it out with Butler 9x2.5x4.5 refr. brick. It's a lot more smooth than the Able brick.  It probably wouldn't hurt to put insulation tiles under it too.

8'X4' utility trailer.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:08 PM »
The front wall doesn't look to be insulated double wall, just single wall 16 gauge mild steel?  Am I also correct to assume there is no mass in the dome, just a double wall metal structure with insulation between?
-Jeff

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Hey it's great you have an oven! And you can Now enjoy some wood fired pizza!
I have a mobiles also and having a blast with it! Do you plan to do catering ?
Have fun!

Offline Xander432

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:43:20 AM »
@ Shuboyje, The front is a single 11G sheet, everything else is 10G. There is no mass inside of the dome, except for a single 10G sheet on the left side of the dome. I wish I had taken some undercarriage shots before we got it set up, it way to heavy lift up. The welder and I had a tough time getting it on the trailer.

@JConk007, I love it. It's not as sexy as a brick oven but I spent a lot of time thinking about both, and for me, this was the best choice. I haven't really thought of catering yet...I'm going to be cooking at a couple Farmer's Markets in the city, it's a little bit of a challenge but I'm ready for it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:42:25 AM »
Cool ! So where did youcome up with the measurments  you decided on? Guess  you better have some safety surrrounds to keep people away from fron door?  When I do Catering lots of people come up and look question and touch the oven. At least you dont have to concerned with shifting dome parts and concrete breakage when you travel. Appears that baby will go anywhere without worry whats the final weight ?
John

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
 your oven looks pretty cool! i would love to play with it for a day.

Offline Xander432

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:09:02 AM »
@JConk007, I really just sat in my living room with a tape measure and little imagination. I had checked a couple oven makers for their floor and door dimensions, but it was mostly guessing. I knew I wanted to have enough space for 3 pizzas and extra room for cooler areas of the oven. Currently, I think its big but its perfect to grow into. I'm just learning to be a little more patient when starting the fire. I had to same problem when I first started BBQ-ing, I get anxious :) By the way, you have a pretty amazing operation...wishing you continued success!

@thezaman, thank you! Also wishing you continued success.

Over the weekend I experimented with a Sourdough recipe of mine, and I was a little disappointed. The semi-charred parts were bitter / burnt, and it was hardly past golden. I did get wood from a different source, so, I'm a little in-between on what it could be. I do think that my ADY recipe was nearly spot on, I think a little more tweaking and it'll be perfect and pretty easy to work with.

Anyhow, here's a couple pics of my trials...

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
What part of town are you in?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Xander432

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
@TXCraig1, I live on the west side of Houston, off I-10 and TX-6.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
The crust looks pretty good... Where did you get your Caputo '00' Flour in Houston?
Bert,

Offline Xander432

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
Thank you! I've been getting it from Central Market. I've asked about 55lb sacks but they said the 1kg bags is all they can get.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
@TXCraig1, I live on the west side of Houston, off I-10 and TX-6.

I grew up right there in Fleetwood. I live down south now.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
Thank you! I've been getting it from Central Market. I've asked about 55lb sacks but they said the 1kg bags is all they can get.

Central Market at 3815 Westheimer ? I went there couple of weeks ago, I didn't find it, they had typical flour that you find at other stores.
Bert,

pizzapan