Author Topic: Pizza as an Appetizer  (Read 1612 times)

Offline petef

Pizza as an Appetizer
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:51 AM »
I'm currently experimenting with ideas to use Pizza as an appetizer for small family gatherings.

Here's my first attempt at making Pizza Cones...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21366.msg215375.html#msg215375

So Pizza Cones are not a good idea for appetizers, just too many associated problems.

However, in process of making the cones, I discovered a method for making a new mini thin crust pizza that could be used as an appetizer. Pics below. I don't think I've seen anything like this on these forums, so please let me know if it's been done before.

Here's the process...

Equipment:

1 small cutting board
1 rolling pin
1 hot & oiled stovetop grill or hot & oiled fry pan
1 toaster oven & baking screen
1 spatula

1.) Fire up your stovetop grill or frying pan. Oil the surface and heat to med-low.

2.) Measure 1 ounce of dough and roll it into a ball.

3.) Use about 1 teaspoon of olive oil to oil a 6" diameter section of the cutting board.

4.) Flatten the dough ball and stretch it out forming a 2 inch disk. Flip it over to oil both sides.

5.) Use a rolling pin to form a super thin 6 inch diameter pizza dough. If dough sticks to the rolling pin, oil the rolling pin too.

6.) Fry the pizza dough on the grill or fry pan just until the bottom begins to brown. Use spatula to flip it over to brown the other side too. This step is very similar to grilling pancakes. It takes just a minute or so on each side. Just 2 to 3 minutes.

7.) Remove the pizza crust and place it on the baking screen. Add pizza sauce, cheese, and sprinkle lightly with olive oil.

8.) Bake it in your toaster oven using the TOASTER a it's darkest setting, but be prepared to watch it to determine when it's done. It's done when you see the cheese bubbling up uniformly and the edges just beginning to brown. Just 2 to 3 minutes.

The entire process above takes only about 7 to 8  minutes.

Cut the pizza into quarters and serve as appetizers.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:51:05 AM by Pete-zza »

buceriasdon

Re: Pizza as an Appetizer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
When called upon for appetizer pizza I go with a rectangular thin and crispy cut party style. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12662.0.html
I have other examples but the Search here and I don't get along.
Don

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
When called upon for appetizer pizza I go with a rectangular thin and crispy cut party style. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12662.0.html
I have other examples but the Search here and I don't get along.
Don

You have a good idea! It's much more efficient than making a bunch of mini-pizza pies.

Actually, my mini pizza idea is probably better for a quick fresh pizza snack where a grill and toaster oven take no time at all to heat up compared to preheating a regular oven.

The other advantage of my recipe is that you can have the dough sitting in the refrigerator, cut off an ounce section and use it immediately. So as long as you have all the ingredients ready to go, you are eating pizza in about 10 minutes.

I imagine, you could even speed up and simplify things further by using a 6" Flour Tortilla instead of using pizza dough.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Hmmm, I wonder if a large thin crust pizza could be baked and then cut up using various shaped cookie cutters to create some unique looking appetizers. I'm looking for something  to replace my usual boring cheese & crackers & pepperoni appetizers.

---pete---

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if a large thin crust pizza could be baked and then cut up using various shaped cookie cutters to create some unique looking appetizers. I'm looking for something  to replace my usual boring cheese & crackers & pepperoni appetizers.

---pete---

Something like this, Pete?  I made these for a Halloween party.  I called them Autopsy Andy's.  Two flour tortillas, layered then cookie-cut with a gingerbread man cutter, Y-incision stuffed with salsa and cheese, then baked.  They were a hit.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »
Something like this, Pete?  I made these for a Halloween party.  I called them Autopsy Andy's.  Two flour tortillas, layered then cookie-cut with a gingerbread man cutter, Y-incision stuffed with salsa and cheese, then baked.  They were a hit.

Hehehe, that's funny, very creative, and evil all at the same time.  :-D

I just made a flour tortilla pizza and I discovered that it's not as tender as the one I made from pizza dough. So I'm thinking the cookie cutter idea would work better with baked pizza dough than the tortillas for ease of cutting. However, I'm talking more form the point of cookie cutting after baking. I see you cut yours before baking.

Hey, how about stuffing Autopsy Andy with a few strands of cooked spaghetti? (bloody guts). LOL

---pete---

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
Something like this, Pete?  I made these for a Halloween party.  I called them Autopsy Andy's.  Two flour tortillas, layered then cookie-cut with a gingerbread man cutter, Y-incision stuffed with salsa and cheese, then baked.  They were a hit.

Very clever Brian. 8) I have to cook for a Halloween party this year and I think this would go over well.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline petef

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
Here's my same basic recipe except I used a 6" flour tortilla instead of pizza dough. I started by frying it on both sides. Pics below ----pete---

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
That looks really tasty, Pete.  I like the GBD bottom.  Did you use a flavored oil, or a regular oil?  I'm wondering how chili oil would change it.

Thanks, the Autopsy Andys were fun to make, and the expressions on faces were priceless! 

I was going to find some of these bowls in plastic and serve mint pistachio chip in them for the next Halloween party.  Maybe with a sprinkle of some vodka or white rum.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »

I love it!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
petef,

For some possible ideas, see Reply 290 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg18395.html#msg18395.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
Pete,

These were some cookie cutter pizzas I made in a toaster oven if you are interested at Reply 46  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.msg171541.html#msg171541 and the next few posts.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
The autopsy gingerbread men are awesome.  I have done zombie foot and zombie hand, autopsy G-men are this years bake.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
Pete,

I remembered another pizza I made with dough that was easy to make when frying.  They were pizza men at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11084.0  They could be made smaller than I made them.

Norma

Offline petef

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
petef,

For some possible ideas, see Reply 290 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg18395.html#msg18395.

Peter

Mini Lehmannís  <----Excellent! :)

Offline petef

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Pete,

These were some cookie cutter pizzas I made in a toaster oven if you are interested at Reply 46  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.msg171541.html#msg171541 and the next few posts.

Norma

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The uniquely shaped pizza makes a big difference, compared to mini rounds.

I was looking at cookie cutters online (bedbathandbeyond.com) and one person was complaining how the metal one rusted after one use. She said plastic cutters were better. I think metal would be better but what brand is better insurance against rusting?

---pete---

Offline petef

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
That looks really tasty, Pete.  I like the GBD bottom.  Did you use a flavored oil, or a regular oil?  I'm wondering how chili oil would change it.

I used Bertoli Classico olive oil which is my favorite for pizza. Another time I used Bertoli Extra Virgin Rich but the oil taste was too strong for my liking.

For flavoring with oil, that's easy, just add it as a topping on a baked slice just to see how you like the flavor amongst all the other toppings. Then bake it in next time you make pizza.

---pete---

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
Reason I asked, my wife and her mother (the anti-spicy Nazi's) actually LIKED the crust of pizza I reheated with a little chili-oil on the bottom.  Amazed me, and I sure wasn't going to tell them what they were eating.   8)

So, chili oil can take "bland" to "outstanding" and even bland fanatics don't know why they like it!

Offline petef

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »
Reason I asked, my wife and her mother (the anti-spicy Nazi's) actually LIKED the crust of pizza I reheated with a little chili-oil on the bottom.  Amazed me, and I sure wasn't going to tell them what they were eating.   8)

So, chili oil can take "bland" to "outstanding" and even bland fanatics don't know why they like it!

Sorry, in my last post I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to the oil as a topping.

To better answer your question, I only used Bertolli Classico olive oil when rolling out the dough. Now you gave me an idea to flavor the dough when I roll it out using a garlic oil. I'll definitely try that one.

---pete---

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The uniquely shaped pizza makes a big difference, compared to mini rounds.

I was looking at cookie cutters online (bedbathandbeyond.com) and one person was complaining how the metal one rusted after one use. She said plastic cutters were better. I think metal would be better but what brand is better insurance against rusting?

---pete---

I purchased my cookie cutter that I used for those heart shaped pizzas at The Webstaurant Store.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4457/cookie-cutters-and-pastry-cutters.html  They donít have the heart shape cookie cutter listed online, but I think my cookie cutter and other ones I have purchased just one at a time are made of stainless steel.  Maybe a restaurant store near you might carry some.  Mine never rusted.  I think I paid about 3 something for mine.

If you look at these, they are made of stainless steel. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-1428-fancy-shaped-cutter-set-3-tall/1441428.html

Norma
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:38:30 AM by norma427 »

pizzapan