Author Topic: Re: Cone Crust Pizza?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline petef

Re: Cone Crust Pizza?
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:24:29 AM »
Ok, here's my first (and probably last) attempt at making a Pizza Cone. Pics below...

Although, it turned out well and tasted great, there's just too many problems associated with making and eating Pizza Cones. It's really a bad idea for my targeted purpose of using the cones as an appetizer for family gatherings.

Problems...

* First off, you need to use the cone form in the oven for the initial par-bake. So any thoughts of making high quantities of cones would require many cone forms.

* Par-baking requires turning which is inconvenient.

* The loaded cone requires special holding rack to hold it upright during the bake.

* The loaded Cone tends to leak creating a mess.

* After baking the cone, you have to add more cheese because everything settles down into the cone as the cheese melts. You add some more cheese and minutes later you have to add more.

* Eating the cone is a problem too. Initially. it's too hot to handle. Even after several minutes, when you can handle it, the cheese at the lower part of the cone is still so hot you'd burn your mouth.

Although it was a challenge to just make one Pizza Cone, overall,
it's just not worth all the extra effort if you plan to make them
in any large quantity. 

---pete---

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
Pete,

Although I didnít have the leaking problem with my pizza cones, I also found out it would be hard to make many pizza cones at a time.  I also found out that there was some way needed to hold the pizza cones so the toppings inside would bake. 

Thanks for posting the pictures of your whole methods with you pizza cones and why you donít think you will make them again.  Did you give up on your cupcake pan idea for appetizers?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »
One idea I had for a cone form was to find a pottery shop and have some rolled out slab constructed cones made, then fired. I would use a cone calculator for that and for the template to trim the rolled out dough. You didn't seal your edges enough for a good seal, a light brush of water along the seam and a fork to press the seam together. I made copper forms myself with aluminum foil covering and prebaked with the cone inverted. I cut the top off of a aluminum can to use as a stand for baking the fillings.
Don

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
Did you give up on your cupcake pan idea for appetizers?

Norma

Stay tuned!  :)

---pete---

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
Stay tuned!  :)

---pete---

Pete,

I will stay tuned.  ;D I thought your cupcake pan idea would make cute deep-dish pizzas.  Maybe even with the really small cupcake pans I used for pecan cookies different times.  The pecan cookies also have dough that is pressed in the small cupcake pan first.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
In the same vein as using a cupcake pan for mini deep-dish, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2478.msg21572.html#msg21572.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
Maybe you can put cheese in the bottom so it doesn't leak.  Neat idea though.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan