Author Topic: Trip to Italy  (Read 646 times)

Offline pizza dr

Trip to Italy
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »
Well I just got back from Italy and it was blast.  I went with my wife and another couple and I must say that this was one of the best trips I have ever taken.  We started off in Rome for a couple of days then went down to the Amalfi coast ( mostly Positano). 

Rome was awesome.  We did all the normal tourist stuff but I must say that the food there was crazy good.  I didn't have any pre-set notions of where we were going to eat ( this worried my wife to death as I was taking care of the food part of the trip).  So I just asked all the locals  where the good food was and we hit upon some real gems.  The only thing that I wanted to try was Porchetta and Cacio de Pepe.

Our Cabby turned me onto this place that is over a hundred years old for Porchetta.  Thats all they serve.  One pig a day. Served on butcher paper with some peppers and a piece of bread.  Cold Beer and I'm telling you I thought I died and went to heaven. The place has been doing the same thing for over a hundred years.  The place has no kitchen and is about the size of a good walk in closet.  If you go to Rome don't miss this one. 

After 3 days there we drove to the Amalfi... My plan was to stop for lunch in Naples for some pizza.  Uhhhhh it was Sunday and not much was open.  It was also fairly early in the morning so I was vetoed and we went straight to Positano  :'(.  My plan was to take a day trip back to Naples during the week and get some of the real stuff.  Little did I know that there is a strike on the road from Positano to Naples...sometimes you get right through... sometimes you wait for hours... wasn't willing to risk wasting a whole day of travel for pizza... Biggest disappointment of the trip. 

Positano was beautiful and the food was great also.  I went to a fair number of pizzerias while I was there and I must say that they were all very good.  Not beautiful pizzas but very tender and the best toppings I have ever had.  The cheese is sublime.  Nothing like I can get around here.  Anchioves... wow.  Even if you don't like anchovies you will like these.  Just salty goodness without the fishy aftertaste. 

I also had a plate of Ravioli in Positano that blew my mind... best I have ever had.  The trip was also highlighted by a boat ride to Capri. 

Here are some pics

Scot

Offline pizza dr

Re: Trip to Italy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
more pics

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
more

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
Those are some awesome pictures, and that's pretty cool that they made y'all a heart pizza. I'd like to get over to Italy sometime in my life. About the only place in Europe besides Britain that I am interested in seeing. Too bad that I absolutely hate flying with a passion, like, to the point of being sick before I crawl onto a plane. Wish there was a boat you could take over there that didn't take forever....

The way they build houses on the side of hills is pretty amazing though. No telling how long some of those have been there and probably show no sign of slipping. Good architecture and planning I guess.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
Scott, thanks for the post and pics. We are currently in Paris and will be in Italy next Sat. Hope to find some good pizza. Do you remember the address for pig in Rome?

Mark
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:13:27 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
Awesome pictures and story.  Thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »
Yeah Mark its 00184 Roma-Via del Viminale,2F

Tel 06.48.83.031

Scot

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
Scot, very cool. Thank you for sharing the pictures and narrative.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Great!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
You put me in a trance....reminds me of my 3 years in Europe in the 70's, very cool!!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!