Author Topic: Bosch Universal plus mixing issues  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Chet

Bosch Universal plus mixing issues
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »

I purchased a new Bosch Universal Plus mixer about 2 months ago, so far making pizza dough with hydration around 65% I have had problems with the dough crawling up the center column, somewhere I cannot seem to find it, that if it was complx3  or I forget, but did someone have a solution, to be honest, I am having better luck kneading with my old reliable 2 lb capacity bread maker, not sure this machine kneads as well as I have been reading all the rave reviews.

Chet

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Bosch Universal plus mixing issues
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
What size batch are you making?  I use the universal mixer and have good luck with it for large batches lets say three to four pounds of flour.  Smaller batches can sometimes give me trouble.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
I also have a BUP and it works well for me, though I rarely go above 60%.
I remember someone adding an extra piece to the wiper blade that seemed to help with your problem.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
a few other things to try.

Try mixing a larger batch.  Even if im doing a dual rise dough, I often form a few dough balls from each batch to be put right into the fridge after mixing.  This dough works out great for bread or pizzas later in the week.    If you lower your yeast amount a little you should be able to hold dough for a week or more without any problems.  Its great to always have a spare dough ball around if an unexpected guest stops by, or if someone invites you over for dinner and you want to bring some fresh bread.   

try a lower hydration.    I find that the feel and baking properties of dough in my bosch at 60% are about the same as doughs at 64% in my spiral mixer, or doughs mixed by hand.  You may find that you really like a hydration a few points lower with this machine.

try using the bosch just to combine the ingredients, then finish with a few stretch and folds by hand.   Even though I have a $2000 spiral mixer I still use the bosch to do the initial combining.   The best doughs I have made with hand mixing or with the spiral were started with the super efficient combining action of my bosch.  

Good luck!

pizzapan