Author Topic: Awesome burger I had last night at db Bistro Moderne in NYC.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Chaze215

Awesome burger I had last night at db Bistro Moderne in NYC.
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
Sirloin Burger Filled with Braised Short Ribs, Foie Gras and Black Truffle & Served on a Parmesan Bun. Yummmmmmm!!  ;D
Chaz

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Awesome burger I had last night at db Bistro Moderne in NYC.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
Oh. My. God. That thing is absolutely the hottest things I've seen in a long time. Food pron is what some would call that I guess. Never had real truffles, but foie gras is nuts and I can only imagine it with good beef.

Ground meat and burgers are my second favorite food only to pizza as everyone probably knows around here. I wish I could've swiped half of that thing without you looking! LOL. Did they serve you any sides? I don't think I would've really wanted any looking at that picture though.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
I'm almost afraid to ask... how much?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
I bet it's on their website menu. That is some pretty upscale ingredients to throw in a burger, but I bet it isn't as expensive as you would think.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
I have never had a burger with those ingredients, so I HAD to order it!  ;D I was served with a boatload of fries and their homemade ketchup, mustard and mayo. However, I felt it would be wrong to put any of it on this burger.

I'm almost afraid to ask... how much?
This beauty set me back $32 which went well with my $16 "Dirty Lemonade", but hey...its NYC!
Chaz

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
I think I just wet myself.....Homer drool for sure!!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
Hubert Keller, in his excellent book, Burger Bar, has a tribute to the DB burger that is short-rib stuffed burger that is a little more accessible. I make these often with Tartine buns. Here is a photo before the top half is put in place:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
I have never had a burger with those ingredients, so I HAD to order it!  ;D I was served with a boatload of fries and their homemade ketchup, mustard and mayo. However, I felt it would be wrong to put any of it on this burger.
This beauty set me back $32 which went well with my $16 "Dirty Lemonade", but hey...its NYC!
Boy, your" Devil may Care" attitude is impressive for sure...I'm impressed!  8)
Ain't NO way I could pull the trigger on a $32 burger....Wow.   :'(
Looks really good though.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »
Boy, your" Devil may Care" attitude is impressive for sure...I'm impressed!  8)
Ain't NO way I could pull the trigger on a $32 burger....Wow.   :'(
Looks really good though.....

I would have to think twice as well, but I had a gift card that I received for my birthday. Although when in NYC, prices are always nuts. I was going to get a margarita, but it was $25!!  :o Are you F'n kidding me?!?!? Even with a gift card, I couldnt justify getting one.
Chaz

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
Looks great...Here's the db Bistro Moderne website pic of that burger.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »
The burger that Chaze got looks a lot better than the stock photo they put up I think. Doesn't the one from their website make the patty look more like sausage than a good loose patty? The one you got looks like it was handled a lot less, which in my opinion is a really good thing.

And Bill, what do do you braise the short ribs in? A soy, Worcestershire, tomato or other sauce before you shred it? I've never braised short ribs, only cut off all the meat and added it to my burger grinds for all that extra fat.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:33:38 AM by rcbaughn »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
And Bill, what do do you braise the short ribs in? A soy, Worcestershire, tomato or other sauce before you shred it? I've never braised short ribs, only cut off all the meat and added it to my burger grinds for all that extra fat.

If you've never had braised short ribs, you are missing one of the greatest forms of beef. In the Keller version of the DB burger, the short ribs are browned and braised in a wine, chicken stock liquid with some other vegetables and herbs. My preference is to hit them with a torch to brown, cook them until tender sous vide, and then hit them with the torch again. The meat is shredded. The sauce is cooked down and mixed into the shredded beef for the filling. Keller calls this the "Surprise Burger" for obvious reasons. If I really want to make them even more decadent, I'll add a dollop of pate, but this is gilding the lily.

Keller calls for grinding NY strip steak for this dish. I couldn't imagine doing this, so I use ground brisket for this and for all my burgers.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
I don't mind gilding it with some homemade thick whipped cream, a little salt and some drained, cream style horseradish. This makes an awesome dip for corned or roast beef. And that fatty, collagen mouth feel from shortribs is second to few. Braised shanks come to mind :P

jon

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
Sounds like after I clear out some of the meat I have in my fridge I'll have to try braising some short ribs. I priced them a while back and they're pretty high even at Walmart. Oxtail is too, and it seems both of these cuts are lower down the chain than other stuff but is still high. I guess demand is going up for the stuff now that a lot of "foodies" are finding them. And I agree Bill, if you have a good steak why would you grind it? Kind of defeating the purpose of buying tender meat when your just going to tenderize it even more by grinding it. I actually think that ground meat needs to be from tougher cuts or it turns out mushy.

Whipped cream and horseradish? That's a new one, may have to try that, on a burger that is. :)

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
Looks great...Here's the db Bistro Moderne website pic of that burger.

Yeah that looks nothing like the burger I had there on Sat night. In fact, the fries that I had were completely different as well.  ???
As far as short ribs are concerned, they are awesome braised in some red wine, vegetables etc...one of my favorites. However, Im not sure I would shred them or a sirloin steak for a burger...lol
Chaz

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »

As far as short ribs are concerned, they are awesome braised in some red wine, vegetables etc...one of my favorites. However, Im not sure I would shred them

There is a long tradition in Latin America of shredded beef in a range of dishes. The surface area of the shredded morsel can match well with a clingy sauce. Braising the browned short rib sous vide creates the perfect texture for shredding that holds the reduced sauce inside the burger. It is not what you might expect. 

Offline z3r01

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
i was watching "man vs food" yesterday and he had something called a "juicy lucy" which was two meat patties pressed on with cheese in the center. looks similar to this
(http://s14.postimage.org/lpfpl0f9t/z3r01.jpg)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
i was watching "man vs food" yesterday and he had something called a "juicy lucy" which was two meat patties pressed on with cheese in the center. looks similar to this

I like to make something like that then lightly bread it and deep fry it. Makes a tasty burger.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »

And as the story goes, invented up here in MN at a couple bars that claim to be the first!!!

jon

Offline z3r01

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
And as the story goes, invented up here in MN at a couple bars that claim to be the first!!!

jon

yop lol i think it was called 5-8 club or something lol , i will be making a clone of this today :D
(http://s14.postimage.org/lpfpl0f9t/z3r01.jpg)

pizzapan