Author Topic: Tennessee pizza brothers: I'm looking for a musical organ themed pizzeria  (Read 279 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
I'm looking for this place that showed up on Slice-Serious Eats. It doesn't have a name on there or a webpage. We thought we'd go there for the heck of it when driving to Atlanta. It's (get this) a pizzeria with a musical organ in it. It's one of 14 left supposedly in the country. It's kinda like Show Biz Pizza or even Chuckie Cheese, but I have to have this ridiculous experience. Let me know if you have any leads.

The address for the joint is:

706 Cree Lane, Cleveland, TN

A google-maps search turns up a residential area so hopefully this place does in fact exist.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: Tennessee pizza brothers: I'm looking for a musical organ themed pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
Can you give us the original link/source for the info.

If it existed... SURELY... there would be a picture of it on the internet.

Cool place in Arizona...

http://www.organstoppizza.com/

But it's a bit of a drive from Atlanta!

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/video-1980s-organ-grinder-pizza-commercial.html?ref=search

It's just down a page on the link. Thanks for the suggestion. That looks really neat. I'm thinking that it's more about the ambiance than the pizza these places. I'm thinking someone could come up with one with an updated menu and really make it something.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
I am betting there isn't one in Tennessee.   Anyone can edit the Google Maps and add a pin. I bet someone just clicked and added it.

The article lists the known ones.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
Yep, I am right.

If you look below the google Maps, there is hyperlink to the larger map.

I edited the title of the map... and I added a pin in the middle of the St. John's river in Florida.

I'm thinking someone just added a pin in a residential area of Tennessee.  Let's go visit and demand pizza!  And organ playing!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:09:58 PM by Qarl »

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
Re-read the article.

In short Cook says that around 1958, a Haywood, California, man installed a Mighty Wurlitzer organ after having enjoyed organ recitals at San Francisco's Fox Theater. "And history was made," Cook says. "There were soon places like this all across the United States. Here in the Bay Area alone, at one time in the '70s, the heyday, there were 14 of these places."

In the 70's there were like 14 of them in the Bay Area.

The article lists the only ones the author thinks still exist.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
Well that solves that mystery. There is what I believe is the only pizza drive-in in the country down the road in Knoxville, Tennessee. It's not very famous, but Slice did a write up of it.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/07/pizza-palace-knoxville-tns-first-pizza-and-the-nations-first-pizza-drive-in.html?ref=search

I'm going to visit there again. I remember going there a long time ago before I got into pizza this much and thought it was interesting, but understood little about what to look for in pizza. It's like a bar pizza basically.

I may be also going to Illinois sometime where I can also go to the organ-theatre pizzeria there. I'll post pictures whenever that happens.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
Sounds cool.   Glad we solved the mystery.  Would have been terrible to drive all that way and no pizza and organs.  LOL

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »
On a side note: I'll say this. There's a state-run restaurant used to treat diplomats in Havana, Cuba named La Roca. They have this older man with silver hair playing the grand piano all the time. All the music is old fashioned and incredibly soothing. I think it's been so long since people have heard good piano music that they would really enjoy that concept at a neapolitan place.

pizzapan