Author Topic: What's the best TOASTER OVEN for general use and ocasional pizza.  (Read 3532 times)

Offline petef

I've been very happy with my Black & Decker 14" wide by 9" deep interior toaster oven. Unfortunately I just blew mine out making Tortilla pizza. I'm looking for advise on a more rugged unit to buy.

The problems I've had with Black & Decker Toaster Ovens, is that over time it does not toast evenly, where the top browns faster than then bottom. Unfortunately there is no electrical adjustment to compensate for this and the rack height is also not adjustable. The other problem is that eventually one of the heating elements burns out and there's no way to replace it because they are welded in place.

I use my Toaster oven mainly for making toast, reheating food, and baking an occasional pizza on flour tortillas or english muffins. 14" wide by 9" deep interior is a perfect size for my needs. I think that's considered a "6 slice" model. I would like one that can handle more rugged use such as pizza making. It would be a plus if the heating elements were user serviceable.

No need for fancy electronic controls or any automatic features. Good & accurate temperature control is most important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. There's so many models and brands to choose from, I was hoping people here could advise me based upon their experience with specific units. Do you have  a favorite brand or model?

Pic below is the one I just blew out.

---pete---

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:11:08 PM by petef »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: What's the best TOASTER OVEN for general use and ocasional pizza.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
Breville BOV800XL, after reading through a bunch of reviews.
1800W, top and bottom quartz elements. Convection. Big enough. Nice features. 500+ happy user reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L5TVGW/?tag=pizzamaking-20
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
1800W, top and bottom quartz elements. Convection. Big enough. Nice features. 500+ happy user reviews.

that's the one I have.  I like it, it's by far the best toaster oven I have had (also the most expensive).  It hold 1/4 sheet pans.  Has regular & convection settings.  I have never made pizza in it. 

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

No doubt that the above oven is a good one, but it looks like overkill for my needs of mainly reheating food and making toast. I appreciate your efforts and suggestion and thank you.

What I don't like about above oven is it has electronic controls and it's overly complex. To me this means reduced reliability due to the added complexity and an added number of parts that have potential to go bad.

My simple $80 Black & Decker toaster oven (this is my second one in 20 years) does what I need and would serve me for 50 years if I could only change out a broken heating element myself. So I'm just looking for a similar toaster oven that would be a bit more rugged or have user serviceable heating elements. I'm also thinking in the $80 to $175 price range.

---pete---

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
Pete, You won't find such features as replaceable elements in that midprice area, the manufacturers don't want to be  saddled with huge inventories just for repairs.You just buy a new one.
Don

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Pete, You won't find such features as replaceable elements in that midprice area, the manufacturers don't want to be  saddled with huge inventories just for repairs.You just buy a new one.
Don

Can you direct me towards a brand or model that does have replaceable elements?
If I know the unit can be easily repaired, it might justify spending the extra money.

---pete---

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
Ok, Let me put it another way. The manufacturer doesn't want to sell such parts to the public because it's just not profitable for them.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »
Product lineup, varying levels of use / complexity / price ranging 150, 180, 250:
http://www.brevilleusa.com/cooking/ovens.html

Apparently, the company warranty is pretty good, but it's still recommended you buy from a store and keep your receipt.

You get what you pay for, caveat emptor, blah blah.

Why not ask Robyn about the complicated controls?  It looks like one-button stuff to me.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Guys, I think I found what i was looking for...
Newegg has the best site with the best photo presentations and the most details.
With Newegg, you can zoom in on the controls and see them clearly as if you had the
unit in front of you. No other site i know of can do that! Newegg is the best!!!

Cuisinart TOB-60N Stainless Steel Toaster Oven Broiler with Convection  $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896110726

It has the mechanical controls I was looking for. To me, mechanical means higher reliability. And that's coming from me, a computer and electronics type guy. I know that excess heat kills electronics and I don't believe any digital controls will last for a long time in a toaster oven. The box is just too small to isolate the electronics from the heat source.

This oven also is rated to reach 500 deg F./1500 Watts.
Most other ovens only go to 450 deg F.
It's also convection.

I found that once you go past the $130 price point, most toaster ovens are digitally controlled.
Honestly I don't think a "smart" oven or one with all sorts of electronic features is needed.
I'd rather be in control. :)

Unless someone can beat this model toaster oven, I'll probably buy it.
I'll post back a review here after I use it for a while.

Thanks again, everybody, for the help and advise!
Much appreciated!

Edit:
After doing more research, I found the TOB-40 which seems to get better reviews. $79
It's a bit smaller and does not have Convection mode, but it's 1800 watts (instead of 1500).
This is closer to my old Black & Decker model in both size and power. Seems good enough,
but will I miss having the convection feature? I honestly don't know. Do I need it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896110656&Tpk=TOB-40

BTW: Amazon has the best product reviews.

---pete---

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:56:08 PM by petef »

Offline brost1973

• I Love Pizza!
    • The Best Toaster Oven Reviews
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Actually, it depends on the size of pizza you want cook with the toaster oven. Usually, models in large size will be proper for pizza. You can try Breville BOV800XL or Oster Extra Large models.

Breville BOV800XL is well designed and engineered. It works smartly with 9 preset functions, including pizza.

Oster is recommended for its large size and accurate temperature setting.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »

This is what I have also. It's fantastic. The temperature setting is almost perfectly accurate, It's got great space, and convection. I've never cooked pizza in it, but i've reheated my frozen homemade neapolitans in it dozens of times and it reheats them evenly and well.

Offline matermark

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
I did a review of a pizza oven here somewhere, it was like $39. It is sold under various brands I think, for much, much higher. The grate is cheesy, I use a 13" pizza screen on top of the factory grate. It was designed for frozen pizzas but worked with fresh if a pizza screen was used. It has a rotary time bomb style ticker knob.

I also have a Deni toaster oven that handles a full 12" (maybe larger?) pizza--it came with a non-stick perforated pizza pan, rotisserie attachments, a defrost mode, convection mode, slow cook mode, etc, and had an LCD display for the timer & modes, and up & down buttons to scroll thru the modes. It has a simple button setup--a round on/off button surrounded by 2 curved buttons above & 2 below: temp+, temp -, time+, time -. Pretty sure it was under $50. I leave it in Convection mode, 450F.

Hope this helps.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »
I also have the larger Breville toaster oven. Overall it is a good machine if a bit of overkill. Very nice quartz heating elements. Inexplicably they did not include a light, so that is a drawback.  It also has a very annoying alarm noise that it makes whenever it is done toasting. I would like to unhook that if I could. 

I used to have the De Longhi toaster oven and I really liked that a lot. Much more compact (and less expensive) than the Breville, and it bakes just as well.  And it has a light! 

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
I've had the Breville BOV800XL for a couple years, and it's GREAT. Use it all the time for toast, baking brownies and cookies, frozen dinners, and with a 13" pizza stone, it does a decent job on frozen pizzas. Way better than heating up the full-sized oven for smaller items.

Offline brost1973

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
I've had the Breville BOV800XL for a couple years, and it's GREAT. Use it all the time for toast, baking brownies and cookies, frozen dinners, and with a 13" pizza stone, it does a decent job on frozen pizzas. Way better than heating up the full-sized oven for smaller items.
Yes. Breville BOV800XL has a customized pizza stone. But it is a little expensive than other similar baking stones.

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
Yes. Breville BOV800XL has a customized pizza stone. But it is a little expensive than other similar baking stones.

Brost, nope, I just bought a regular 13" pizza stone (think I got it at a local big box retailer)I agree the one Breville sells was silly expensive.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:37 AM »
Update on my Breville 800XL.....  yesterday I went to use it and received an error -- E01.  After a quick search I learned it would need to go Breville for repair.  It's out of warranty, about 2 1/2 years old, for $119 they will fix or repair, that includes shipping both ways and it would have a 6 mo warranty after returned.   I"m trying to decide whether to do it or not.  I really like this oven, I don't use for pizza but it bakes well and holds 1/4 size sheet pan so eliminates need for full size oven much of the time.

Offline brost1973

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Update on my Breville 800XL.....  yesterday I went to use it and received an error -- E01.  After a quick search I learned it would need to go Breville for repair.  It's out of warranty, about 2 1/2 years old, for $119 they will fix or repair, that includes shipping both ways and it would have a 6 mo warranty after returned.   I"m trying to decide whether to do it or not.  I really like this oven, I don't use for pizza but it bakes well and holds 1/4 size sheet pan so eliminates need for full size oven much of the time.

Actually, you can call the Breville customer service to see if you can get a special offer without to much cost or even a new replacement for free. Someone had done this successfully before.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
Actually, you can call the Breville customer service to see if you can get a special offer without to much cost or even a new replacement for free. Someone had done this successfully before.

I did contact breville - see above they said $119

I see now I wrote fix or repair,  I meant fix or replace

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
I did a review of a pizza oven here somewhere, it was like $39. It is sold under various brands I think, for much, much higher. The grate is cheesy, I use a 13" pizza screen on top of the factory grate. It was designed for frozen pizzas but worked with fresh if a pizza screen was used. It has a rotary time bomb style ticker knob.

I also have a Deni toaster oven that handles a full 12" (maybe larger?) pizza--it came with a non-stick perforated pizza pan, rotisserie attachments, a defrost mode, convection mode, slow cook mode, etc, and had an LCD display for the timer & modes, and up & down buttons to scroll thru the modes. It has a simple button setup--a round on/off button surrounded by 2 curved buttons above & 2 below: temp+, temp -, time+, time -. Pretty sure it was under $50. I leave it in Convection mode, 450F.

Hope this helps.
Watermark, is this the Deni you have?  I'm not familiar with their toaster ovens but I have "tuned" their pizza ovens.
Dave