Author Topic: digital scales  (Read 4414 times)

Offline vincentoc13

digital scales
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
what kind of digital scale do your guys reccomend for dough or do you prefer analog?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: digital scales
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
Digital. Cheap.  They are all pretty much the same - as long as they work.  I bought my first one online from amazon, and it was a dud. >:(  Bought my second one from a local store for $10, and made sure to keep the receipt.  So far so good.  :chef:
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
I agree with Brian about the cheap/digital aspect, but I would recommend seeking out a scale that goes to at least 11 lb. and gives you increments at low as 1g.  It also helps if the display can either be detached or protrudes enough that wide pans don't cover it and make it hard to read.

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:18 AM »
This is my scale.. My-Weigh-KD-8000  $37
Great scale and it does Bakers Percentages too if you ever decide to go that way.
It's a bit on the large size, but if you have the counter space, you can't go wrong.
Very easy to operate. Large display. And it even has a flip top cover over the
buttons to keep them clean. Automatic shut off too. Highly recommended.

and... 30 year warranty!  So what does that tell you about the quality?

---pete---

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NE0FU2/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:56 AM »
Jeez, Pete, that's "overkill" on the scale...  I'm surprised you have this, given your reaction to the toaster oven suggestion. It looks like a commercial model!  17lb capacity, whoa!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
Thanks everyone!!  This site always come through

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
I think that if you have a larger scale with 1g or higher resolution, that you also need a smaller, more accurate scale for yeast. 0.5g of IDY or ADY could make a difference, especially for smaller batches of dough.

I use a big scale that is actually a shipping scale for flour and water, and a smaller scale with a 0.1g resolution for yeast, salt, sugar, etc.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
I think that if you have a larger scale with 1g or higher resolution, that you also need a smaller, more accurate scale for yeast. 0.5g of IDY or ADY could make a difference, especially for smaller batches of dough.

I use a big scale that is actually a shipping scale for flour and water, and a smaller scale with a 0.1g resolution for yeast, salt, sugar, etc.

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I use this one and have been very happy with it. 2kg capacity. 0.1g resolution, $24.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OIRSSU/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
This is the small scale that I use. $8.43! For such a cheap scale it is surprisingly accurate. I have checked it with calibration weights for accuracy and repeatability and it is dead on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SC3LLS/?tag=pizzamaking-20
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline petef

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
Jeez, Pete, that's "overkill" on the scale...  I'm surprised you have this, given your reaction to the toaster oven suggestion. It looks like a commercial model!  17lb capacity, whoa!

Well, I do a lot of gardening and measuring items in the 5 to 12 pound range so I do make use of the large capacity. Plus it's an item less than $50. So that was an easy decision.

On the other hand, I've purchased only 2 toaster ovens over the past 24 years at a total cost of about $140, and spending over $200 for a new Toaster oven that had more features than I actually needed seemed like overkill. So I probably need to find a unit in between the 2 extremes.

---pete---

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
I have the Oxo stainless scale and it's a pretty good one. You can remove the stainless part and wash it up then snap it back on. The only thing is that it measures ounces in fractions instead of decimals. That can make it pretty aggravating when trying to get specific amounts of flour.

Does anyone have any recommendations for scales that measure really really small amount? Like .001 grams and such? I would kinda like to try to get that exact on some stuff just for the fun of it. I've seen some that are really cheap, like $9, but I'm afraid that it might be a case of, "You get what you pay for."
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
I bought the very cheap .001 resolution from ebay and it works fine. You can only weigh small amounts on it, and I now more commonly use teaspoons that measure from 1/8 to 1/64th., for yeast, and my regular scale for everything else.

Offline spazster

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I paid about $25 for the scale I have now and it annoys the %$# out of me because it has an auto shutoff and always turns off in the middle of measuring ingredients. Anyone know of an accurate scale that that doesn't shut off automatically?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
My escali small round guy $25 amazon just went down after weight 1000's of dough balls and countless buckets of flour water ... I can say that was a Great scale !I think I dropped it ?  I think I would go again with that one anytime,  but I just purchased the above  for the next victim touch more capacity now that I am doing dome larger batches. I do use a smaller pocket scale for the yeast .01 hundredths on that baby  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »
I got a $5 power adapter with my My-Weigh-KD-8000. You can choose an auto turn-off time, or disable it entirely. I also use a Harbor Freight 1kg x 0.1g pocket scale for salt, yeast, and spices, and for a travel scale.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
Great scale and it does Bakers Percentages too if you ever decide to go that way.
It's a bit on the large size, but if you have the counter space, you can't go wrong.

---pete---

I have this same scale and it is fantastic.

And for all the light weights I use this and it is great too.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012LOQUQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »

---pete---

I have the next model down from this, the 7000,  it is a little cheaper.  I have had it for at least 5 years and it is still going strong

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
I use this one and have been very happy with it. 2kg capacity. 0.1g resolution, $24.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OIRSSU/?tag=pizzamaking-20

+1
Bert,

Offline oratio

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »
Edit: Vincent and all. I am butting into this thread instead of making a new one, as I thought it might be along with the OP thread. I am not sure if that is proper etiquette. If not, I'll start a new thread :S

I am undecided, I might not, but I am thinking about getting a TOR REY scale. I have seen on some photos that Norma is using one of those with a foot pedal and I like it.

Tor Rey scale ►

What I am thinking here is the benefit of an American scale with the ability to weigh in pounds and ounces as well as kilos and grams, which I can't find in Europe, making American recipes much easier to follow.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

- Mike
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:23:47 AM by oratio »