Author Topic: Going to Betolla  (Read 1674 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Going to Betolla
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
So, my mom just called me and said she wants to take me to Betolla here in Birmingham for my first WFO pizza on Thursday. Here is their online menu, help me pick out two pies to try. One for me and one for her, but we'll split them for sure.

http://www.bettolarestaurant.com/1%20Menus/BettolaDinner.pdf

I really think I should try the Margherita D.O.C. and the other one is up in there air. But if there is another one instead of the Margherita I should try throw it out there. It may be a while before I get to go to a place like this again.

Their oven is a Forno Napoletano. Hopefully they can crank out a good pie and make this first WFO experience everything I've hyped it up to be in my head. Here's a picture I found of there oven on here too, looks cool. Man I'm pumped.

More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
Re: Going to Betolla
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »
Hard to pick just two but this is my choice: Margarita DOC and Eggplant with peppers and a bottle or two of any of that wide selection.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
You definitely have to get the Margherita, that is the measuring stick for all pizza places. So how come this is such a rare opportunity to go to this place and you don't think you'll get to go back anytime soon?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
If it was me, I'd order the Margherita and the Funghi Di Bosco or Mascarpone e Prosciutto.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
You will be eating pizza from the cadillac of ovens for your first WFO experience.

John

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
I just ate but I am hungry again.  Mushrooms on anything with cured pork!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
Cory,

Marco Parente (pizzanapoletana) helped Betolla get started (see Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9949.msg87171.html#msg87171 and also the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3589.msg30256.html#msg30256). You are indeed lucky to get to see the oven in action.

My choices would be the Margherita and the Cotto e Funghi.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:15:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »
Cory,

You are indeed lucky!   :)  I can't wait to hear about your visit to Betolla. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
I love the Margherita, but I would skip it for your first wfo experience. I would rather hit the Maialona.  Don't get me wrong, the Margherita is the great equalizer pizza.  Its kinda like brisket, it tells you how good the cook is.  Not saying that you won't be able to judge it, but the Maialona looks like a meat lovers.  They will all be very good, I'm sure.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »
In the library right now, but yep I am so pumped. I'll get back on tomorrow or late tonight when I get done here. Probably won't be going back anytime soon because I hear it's very busy and they don't do reservations. I'm hoping if we show up early that we can get in no problemo.

And I was thinking about skipping the Margherita after I posted that since they seem to be using some good ingredients, but I do love a simple cheese and basil pizza. And I've never had buffalo mozz before so that may be a good chance to see what it's like without muddying it up with other flavors. Hopefully it's some good fresh stuff.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »
... Probably won't be going back anytime soon because I hear it's very busy and they don't do reservations. I'm hoping if we show up early that we can get in no problemo...

The library?

Just as an FYI, I couldn't tell much of a difference cooked.  I did notice a large difference in the mozz when I tasted it uncooked.  Just ask the waiter to try a piece of the buff mozz, and I'm sure they would bring a tester piece, no charge.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
Great idea, I haven't been able to find any to try uncooked in any stores around here. I'm sure their's will be fresh though and pretty good stuff.

And yep, library. Stuck studying for a quiz I have at 9:00 in the morning.  :-\ Posting from el iPhono. If I had a laptop to my name I'd never get anything done.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
Hoping to meet the guy that runs the oven and maybe the owner and chef will be there. I'd love to talk about his oven and dough, maybe bring up the forum. But I bet he's never visited, or at least I haven't seen any posts from him or the restaurant, only the oven manufacturer.

And yeah, I love meat on pies and haven't tried any of those besides national brands of Italian sausage and prosciutto, but it looks like their sausage is house made and their prosciutto is imported. That's probably the only reason I'd shy away from the Margherita, I bet the imported prosciutto is ungodly good. I've only ever had the vacuum packed US made stuff.

I know he gets his pork for his house made products from Fudge Farms, and his pigs look to be amazing. Henry Fudge stayed away from breeding the fat out of his hogs when the industry started the push to breed leaner pigs, and he's stuck to that philosophy ever since. I've bought some of their lard at a little store called V. Richard's here a little while back. My mom used some of the stuff to make some of the best biscuits I've ever eaten. I guess his pigs could be similar to those raised in Italy or Spain?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:18:04 PM by rcbaughn »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »
I bet the imported prosciutto is ungodly good. I've only ever had the vacuum packed US made stuff.

They really don't even taste similar.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »
Margherita (for all the reasons stated above) and either the Funghi Di Bosco or (since you're a meat eater) the Cotto e Funghi. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any of their selections. Enjoy your dinner and give your Mom a big hug for treating you so well ;D.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
Just to get you pumped up for your first Neapolitan pizza at Bettola. 

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/local-flavor/bettolas-neapolitan-pizza-10000001907779/

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
They really don't even taste similar.

U.S. stuff saltier?

And I plan on giving her lots of hugs for the meal. Hopefully she'll let me pay for part of the meal, but I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it. You know how parents are I bet. She loves taking me out whenever she can which is why I really love cooking for her. She appreciates really good food. (Unlike my pops, LOL)

And you're killing me bakeshack! LOL.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
There is some fantastic domestic prosciutto, made in the finest Italian tradition.

This one is made in Pa, by an Italian owned company,very low in salt,buttery, and what I keep at home for slicing.
They also pre slice for retail and I'll put this against the best of Italy's

http://www.citteriousa.com/products-bulkprosciutto.html

This one comes from Hungarian Mangalista pigs.(originally  bred for lard) but incredibly rich.
Thomas Keller trained chefs from the  French Laundry chefs and  this one

http://www.ollisalumeria.com/product/mangalitsa-prosciutto/

This one  from Iowa has won all sorts of awards and accolades, very good, but not my favorite :

http://laquercia.us

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
The pancetta he used on that pizza in the video got so brown and crispy looking in under two minutes. That is amazing. Said he's running the oven at 850.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Just to get you pumped up for your first Neapolitan pizza at Bettola. 

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/local-flavor/bettolas-neapolitan-pizza-10000001907779/

Good show Bakeshack.  At least she was smart enough to take her hand jewelry off before taking the video.  What are the Health Department regs. on wearing rings while preparing fresh raw food?