Author Topic: Grand Cheese Group Buy  (Read 1519 times)

Offline lakebilly

Grand Cheese Group Buy
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
Not sure if this sort of post is allowed or not.  I was hoping to buy a loaf or two of Grande partial skim Mozzarella cheese from GFS.  The only catch is that a minimum of eight loaves is required.  The cost is $3.35/lb or about $21.75/loaf.  I was curious if any forum members have done a group buy on ingredients before and how it was handled?

Also, any opinions on how to ship cheese would be appreciated. Ideally the shipping destination would be a one day delivery via UPS ground.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Grand Cheese Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »
It might be helpful if we knew where you were/are, and a UPS 'Time in Transit' chart to know if we are within one day of you.  Does it need to stay cold?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline lakebilly

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:35:55 AM »
I'm in Fort Wayne, IN.  Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Columbus OH are all within a day.  In general, most places in MI, KY, IL and OH are within a day.

With the cooler weather upon us, I was thinking that a loaf of cheese in a zipper lock bag along with a couple frozen bottles of water might be sufficient.  I wouldn't pack it until minutes before UPS would pick it up.

Just got an estimate from the UPS sight.  Shipping to places such as Chicago or even Pittsburgh is about $11.00 for one loaf and $12.50 for two.

If people would feel better, I could setup an E-bay auction, but this would add about 13% to the price.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
I'm in Fort Wayne, IN.  Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Columbus OH are all within a day.  In general, most places in MI, KY, IL and OH are within a day.

With the cooler weather upon us, I was thinking that a loaf of cheese in a zipper lock bag along with a couple frozen bottles of water might be sufficient.  I wouldn't pack it until minutes before UPS would pick it up.

Just got an estimate from the UPS sight.  Shipping to places such as Chicago or even Pittsburgh is about $11.00 for one loaf and $12.50 for two.

If people would feel better, I could setup an E-bay auction, but this would add about 13% to the price.

I live in central Ohio. I may be willing to go in on part of a case.

If you're not aware, a case of shredded or diced may be easier for you to split up, as I believe these cases weigh 30 lbs (six 5-lb bags), rather than 48 lbs (eight 6-lb loaves).

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
You may want to think about flat rate boxes from the Post Office (geez, I sound like one of their commercials). For boxes that are relatively heavy for their size, the flat rate is often a lot cheaper than paying by weight. Not to mention that the Post Office supplies the boxes for free. Just a thought.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline lakebilly

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »
I live in central Ohio. I may be willing to go in on part of a case.

If you're not aware, a case of shredded or diced may be easier for you to split up, as I believe these cases weigh 30 lbs (six 5-lb bags), rather than 48 lbs (eight 6-lb loaves).

I bought a 30# case of the Grande shredded before and had great luck freezing it.  In fact, loosely vacuum sealed it lasted two years in the freezer.

I can't help but think that freshly grated from a loaf the day of use would certainly be better.  I also think that if I keep the loaves vacuum sealed they should last for several months in the refrigerator.

As far as ordering a case of the loaves, I would be good for 2 to 4 loaves.

Thanks for the interest.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
I have frozen Grande bags of shredded many times and it is fine. Loaves freeze even better. This is very nice of you to offer lakebilly and I'd be happy to pay a 'lil handling fee to you. It is no secret that I have quit those thieves at Penn Mac...I'd love to be able to get anywhere from 1 to 50 lbs.. Don't want to wear out your generosity though....  :-[ ,
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »
I have frozen Grande bags of shredded many times and it is fine. Loaves freeze even better. This is very nice of you to offer lakebilly and I'd be happy to pay a 'lil handling fee to you. It is no secret that I have quit those thieves at Penn Mac...I'd love to be able to get anywhere from 1 to 50 lbs.. Don't want to wear out your generosity though....  :-[ ,
Trying to figure out shipping options...anyone know the dimensions of a loaf of Grande cheese?Thanks!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan