Author Topic: good organic flour for pizza and bread?  (Read 347 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
good organic flour for pizza and bread?
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »
Wondering what organic flours folks are using? I just ran out of 20 lbs of Central Milling organic AP from Costco that I would sometimes mix with KABF, which I am also out of. Looking for something with maybe a little more chew. I believe the CM AP is only 10% protein.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Re: good organic flour for pizza and bread?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
King Arthur here.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
Where in CA do  you live?
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
Mitch I'm in San Diego. David are you just using the 5 lb bags?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »
Mitch I'm in San Diego. David are you just using the 5 lb bags?

Ah - sorry I do not know a local sourcing there.  I am sure KA would be quite good.

For future reference, it may interest you to know that http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4 NY Bakers is in San Diego.  They have a bunch of very different flours that would not otherwise be available locally.  Looks like the only organic they have is CM AP.
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
Ah - sorry I do not know a local sourcing there.  I am sure KA would be quite good.

For future reference, it may interest you to know that http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4 NY Bakers is in San Diego.  They have a bunch of very different flours that would not otherwise be available locally.  Looks like the only organic they have is CM AP.

Thanks for the link. I have been wondering where to find fresh yeast. While not organic, they have just about every other flour I've heard about; so a great source! Thanks.  :pizza:

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
good organic flour for pizza and bread?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:59:43 AM »
I was using the 5 pound bags but found the two pound bags were less expensive when bought by the dozen ($45.48) on Amazon.  Probably not feasible for a restaurant. Also I just checked and price popped up to 49.42 which puts it at the same price as the 5 pound bag at whole foods).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:08:28 AM by David Esq. »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:13:04 AM »
I was using the 5 pound bags but found the two pound bags were less expensive when bought by the dozen ($45.48) on Amazon.  Probably not feasible for a restaurant. Also I just checked and price popped up to 49.42 which puts it at the same price as the 5 pound bag at whole foods).

invertedisdead:

A dozen 2-pound bags is 24 pounds.  $49.42 for 24 pounds is $2.06 per pound ($0.13 per ounce shown in the ad).  That is really, really high to me.

I usually pay somewhere around $5 for a 5 pound bad for KA AP and BF - about a buck a pound, cheaper on sale or at Target. 

I would suggest you check at your own local Whole Foods or other retailers before resorting to Amazon for that price.  Check other brands. 

As an example, I occasionally buy Giusto's organic flour at a local "healthy food" type grocer for $0.89 per pound. 

I just used "Instacart" to check local grocers.  The Whole Foods organic AP is $4.99 for 2 pounds, about $0.16 per ounce.  But, the same store sells King Arthur Organic Bread Flour in 5 pound bag for $8.99 ($0.11 per ounce / $1.80 per pound).  Arrowhead Mills is $3.99 for 5 pounds, which is $0.80 per pound for "Organic Unbleached White Flour" (I do not know the protein). 

Safeway sells "O Organics" unbleached All Purpose for $6.39 for 5 pounds, $1.30 per pound.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:35:26 AM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
I can only get King Arthur Organic locally in the 2 pound bag and it's almost $5. I think I only paid $12 for 20 pounds of the Central Milling Organic AP from Costco. The only other organic flour I can get locally is Bobs Red Mill All Purpose. I will check Whole Foods next time I can get to one, I saw a bunch of tomatoes I want to try there. Can't believe I forgot to check their flour.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
I can only get King Arthur Organic locally in the 2 pound bag and it's almost $5. I think I only paid $12 for 20 pounds of the Central Milling Organic AP from Costco. The only other organic flour I can get locally is Bobs Red Mill All Purpose. I will check Whole Foods next time I can get to one, I saw a bunch of tomatoes I want to try there. Can't believe I forgot to check their flour.

When you are in Whole Foods, I would suggest you check both the "flour aisle" and the area with different flours, grains, etc in bins.  The flours in the bins seems to vary from store to store - local availability and local manager discretion.  There are several choices of organic flours in my local WF in the bins.

BTW, the All Purpose Flour in the WF 365 brand is actually Central Milling.
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
When you are in Whole Foods, I would suggest you check both the "flour aisle" and the area with different flours, grains, etc in bins.  The flours in the bins seems to vary from store to store - local availability and local manager discretion.  There are several choices of organic flours in my local WF in the bins.

BTW, the All Purpose Flour in the WF 365 brand is actually Central Milling.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that next time I'm there. Also pick up many of the organic tomatoes to try. The Bianco DiNapoli I'm especially interested in. I like the Central Milling AP for Neo-NY pies with a real supple crumb, but I want more chew in other styles.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
I really like Sperry (General Mills) Organic Hygluten (despite the name, it's not very high gluten - about the same as most bread flour).

http://www.generalmillscf.com/products/flour/sperry/sperry/organic-hygluten-untreated-50-lb
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51:57 AM »
Couldn't pass up the King Arthur prices at Smart & Final. They have it in the 10 and 25 lb bag. No organic though. Still looking for a local source but this will hold me over. They had 7/11's and Bell' Orto (Escalon) but I don't know what to do with a #10 can. A shame cause the price for one is crazy.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 01:32:08 AM »
Wondering what organic flours folks are using? I just ran out of 20 lbs of Central Milling organic AP from Costco that I would sometimes mix with KABF, which I am also out of. Looking for something with maybe a little more chew. I believe the CM AP is only 10% protein.

A local pizzeria, Nick's in Oakland,  uses the CM Organic Artisan Bakers Craft and their pizzas have a significant amount of chew. I don't know if you have access to that flour, it is 11.5% protein...

I'd like to try it, but it works out to $3.60 a lb from CM direct for a 5lb bag.
Though it is only $1.40 per lb if I go for the 25lb bag.
hmmm  ::)

Charles