Author Topic: Diabetes and Diet In US.....Easy Answer.....COOK!!!!  (Read 840 times)

Offline Jackitup

Diabetes and Diet In US.....Easy Answer.....COOK!!!!
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Now, don't take me wrong, I am borderline diabetic associated with diet NOT genetic, (Typ1 IDDM, or TypII NIDDM). You see it on TV all the time. Yesterday the news was LAUDING Wendy's as the fastest drive thru for 1.5 hours before I heard ANYTHING about Syria Bombing Turkey....WTF....REALLY. The #! issue is people don't cook anymore, not earth shattering but it IS a fact. As a population, for several reasons, we DON'T cook, we "heat up" what comes in a box, package or can OR froze!!! NOTHING is made as our parents made anymore. Most of us here do, BUT for the population at large, it's bag, box, can or froze. Scott123 the other day responded to a post about Neapolitan Pizza and the bastardizing of the culture and the original concept and style of that kind of pie, but I started to think about it, and he was right, but in a different sort I was thinking, and it goes WAYYYY beyond fire roasted pizza, it IS about people "NOT" cooking anymore.....PERIOD!!! The danger is in NOT losing the way to a culture of pizza but in OVERALL the culture of cooking in the home! They just heat or reheat stuff that's pre-done for us. Yes, NOT earth shattering concept here but think about it, most are on welfare looking for a cheap out, OR 2, working parents that don't have the time and TOO many just don't care!! :'( There needs to be a push to COOK, to MAKE food, NOT just to "heat and eat" When fast food drive thru EXCEEDS the ramifications of 2 countries firing salvos at each other in what could result in a war that can affect us all......WELL, this planet has issues to say the least!!!! OKAY, I'm done. NOT starting politics, just saying.....teach your family how to cook REALLLLLL food, and look at what's important in life, health and family!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Diabetes and Diet In US.....Easy Answer.....COOK!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
I tend to agree with you Jon, but I don't think that it is as simple as this.

My maternal grandmother was an incredible cook. I have very fond memories of visiting her, or when she visited us, mostly because of the incredible down-to-Earth home cooked food that she would make. Why was it so good? I think that one of the biggest reasons is that she used copious amounts of things like bacon, bacon fat, lard, butter, cream, etc. Kind of like the Paula Dean school of cooking. My grandmother and grandfather both died at a relatively young age from heart disease. They ate out no more than once every 5 years.

I would eat one of my hamburgers and my fries over a McDonald's hamburger and fries any day, but is it healthier? Probably not. I'm sure that it would be much higher in calories, fat, and carbs.

I think that the obesity/diabetes problem is much more complicated and multifaceted than just that too many don't cook at home. It's just part of the problem.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
I think that the obesity/diabetes problem is much more complicated and multifaceted than just that too many don't cook at home. It's just part of the problem.

+1

Am I just getting older and more cynical, or is the tendency to look for "silver bullet", all-or-nothing solutions growing?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
Jon, I am insulin dependent , I agree that many folks do not really cook homemade meals. I do find however that those of us that love to cook generally associate with others of like mind. There are many members of our earth society who promote real food and cooking home made meals. Besides this forum, Jamie Oliver has quite a following of folks who love good food. I am sure that there are more folks who eat and run but I just don't happen to associate with them much. HMMMMMMMMM! Wonder what that makes me?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
My wife and I have been cooking from scratch for 30+ years. we don't by bread or buns we make them and we stay away from the prepackaged foods while raising our kids. by prepackaged I mean Hot Pockets, bagel bites, boxed mac and cheese, Eggos....etc. It was not easy by any means but I would like to think that we are better off for it. We got started when we read the labels on the pre packaged and over processed foods when we first got married and realized we had no idea what any of the chemicals were or what they did to our bodies. W grow a great deal of our produce in our garden and buy from a farmer up the road what we cant grow due to room.
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
Soda = childhood obesity.  Many other things can be attributed to prepackaged food.  I don't know about diabetes.  I have friends that have been fighting it since teens.  They eat home cooked meals of fresh ingredients and exercise.  But they still struggle with it.

If I had more time (soon to be face down in dinner again I think) I would love to do elaborate meals.  But between the kid, the business, trying to keep our home going on my own, an invalid wife... sometimes it has to be chicken nuggets, box mac and cheese, soup from a can.  The other night my wife looked at me and said "This doesn't even taste as good as yours!"  ::)
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Soda = childhood obesity.

There goes that oversimplification again. You could just as easily say:

Video games = childhood obesity
Cable TV = childhood obesity
Apple juice (more sugar than soda) = childhood obesity

How about: parents that let their kids sit around and drink soda while playing video games or watching TV = childhood obesity

If the problem was that simple we would have solved it a long time ago.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:24:45 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
There goes that oversimplification again. You could just as easily say:

Video games = childhood obesity
Cable TV = childhood obesity
Apple juice (more sugar than soda) = childhood obesity

How about: parents that let their kids sit around and drink soda while playing video games or watching TV = childhood obesity

If the problem was that simple we would have solved it a long time ago.

my kid drinks apple juice, eats fruit, watches movies and plays video games. And he's skinny (correctly so).  No junk food, sugar snacks or soda.   All the kids I see that are tubby have one thing in common: soda.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
 All the kids I see that are tubby have one thing in common: soda.

So a 3 yr. to 7 yr. old "tubby" kid is entirely responsible for their own diet?  Your statement might be true, but is at least an oversimplification, and and worst is simply not true.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »

So a 3 yr. to 7 yr. old "tubby" kid is entirely responsible for their own diet?  Your statement might be true, but is at least an oversimplification, and and worst is simply not true.

Yeah, I didn't put that very well at all, did I?  :-[

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
More than likely the kids health weight is similar to the parents. Parent's lifestyles tend to rub off on their kids.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »
Exercise.....nobody gets enough(or any at all).
There, I shot my silver bullet.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"