Author Topic: Basic Focaccia  (Read 5190 times)

Offline ojuice

Basic Focaccia
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:03:17 PM »
Hey, it's been awhile since I've posted and I thought I'd share a recipe I hacked up yesterday.  It's about as basic as a Focaccia can get, but it's rather tasty:

Dough:
  2 cp High Protein Flour
  1 cp Water
  1/2 tsp Yeast
  1.5 tsp Sugar
  1/4 tsp Salt

Topping:
  ~1T. Olive Oil
  ~3/5 tsp. Salt

Basically mix the sugar, yeast and water and let the yeast bloom for about 10 minutes.  Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl and then add the yeasty water.  Kneed it until it passes the windowpane test, and just barely sticky.  Let the dough rise for a half hour then punch it down and kneed the gas out of the dough.  Roll it back into a ball and press it in a smooth disk and roll it out into whatever shape of pan you plan on using (in my case a rectangle) and it should be about 1/4 inch thick (iirc).  Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle rather liberally with salt.  Bake at 475f for 10 minutes.

Feel free to tweak and add-on to this recipe.  I winged the recipe and it turned out pretty well, but is by know means as good as it can get.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS d s+: a-- C++++ UB+ P+ L+++ E--- W++
N+  Y+ PGP++ t+ 5-- X+++ tv+ b++ D+ e++ h+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Runding

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Basic Focaccia
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:47:27 AM »
OK, I tried out your recipe.

Just to let everyone know, I've never ever baked any breads ever before, so this is my first try.  First of all, it was incredibly easy, and the end result was great.  I did 2 batches tonight.  First, I followed the exact recipe.  It worked out OK, but the dough was a bit to sweet for my liking, so for the second batch I changed a few things.  First, I toned down the sugar to just 1 tsp, I added Rosemary to the dough, and I also cooked it in a bit more olive oil than 1T. 

If my camera was working, I would post pics.  The first one didn't turn out to pretty, but this second one, Woo!  It looks DELICIOUS!  Anyways, tastes great and it was incredibly easy.  Thanks for making my first bread-making experience nice :)

I'll do this recipe again later and take pics. 

Thanks,
Runding

Offline roksngr

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
Ok I made this one up last week and it turned out great. (For my first try)

3 Cups KABF
1 C Warm Water
2 tsp ADY
2 TB Light olive oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 TB Sugar

Roll out in a retangle shape. Put on a greased cookie sheet, cover with olive oil. let it rise until it's doubled in size (Hey I'm poet too)
Top with a healthy amount of kosher or sea salt, dried italian seasonings and chopped fresh rosemary. (Important)
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

cut into squares and serve with EVOO and basamic vinegar.

enjoy

Leigh

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »
Leigh,

Can you provide the dimensions of the cookie sheet you used, or the part of it that was covered with the dough?  Thanks.

Peter

Offline roksngr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
It's just regular consumer type cookie sheet. I don't have the dimentions with me here at work.  :(
But I remember that I tried stretch it out as much as possible and pushed it to the edges with my oiled up fingers....but it didn't quite make it . SO when I cut it, (when it was done) I cut off the rounded ends (and of course ate them!) and then cut the remaining rectangle into perfect looking squares.

I saw a show on foodnetwork (easy entertaining with michael chirarelli?) and I took what he did and made my own.