Author Topic: Carmelina San Marzanos (Italian Peeled Tomatoes)  (Read 2616 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Carmelina San Marzanos (Italian Peeled Tomatoes)
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
My one pizza friend sent me three cans of Carmelina San Marzanos to try.  I guess they are whole peeled tomatoes. Can anyone tell me what if anything needs to be added to this tomato product if I just want to try them on a Sicilian, or a NY style pizza?  I didnít open the any of the cans yet, but if they are whole tomatoes do I just squish them?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Carmelina San Marzanos (Italian Peeled Tomatoes)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »
I have used themn and reported on them here . They are one of my favorites! Nice  bright red great  flavor.... you will love them !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »
I have used themn and reported on them here . They are one of my favorites! Nice  bright red great  flavor.... you will love them !
John

Thanks John. I will check out your thread.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »
Bill's excellent video was also posted here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10881.0.html

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
Bill's excellent video was also posted here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10881.0.html

Norma

Norma,

I can't believe I made such a terrible video.  :-[ I'd take it down, but it does show my approach for using canned tomatoes. I still haven't found better canned tomatoes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Norma,

I can't believe I made such a terrible video.  :-[ I'd take it down, but it does show my approach for using canned tomatoes. I still haven't found better canned tomatoes.

Bill,

I surely didnít think your video was bad at all.  Your deep bassy voice and how you explained everything about making the tomato sauce was excellent.   :chef: I also loved the transformation at the beginning of the video.  ;D

Interesting that you still havenít found better canned tomatoes.

My pizza friend in Trenton, NJ found the Carmelina San Marzanos (in NJ) and he tried them on a Buddy/Shields style of pizza and said they made one of the best pizzas he ever had.  He then said I had to try them. 

I guess one of these days I will have to make the trek down to Trenton to see him.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Norma,

Not that it really matters, but I wanted to mention that the Carmelina San Marzano tomatoes are not the DOPs. But, as Marco has pointed out before, there are some non-DOP San Marzano tomatoes that are as good as, and even better, than the SM DOPs.

Also, I know that at one time the Grimaldi's chain, at least outside of the Metro NY/NJ area, used the Carmelina SMs. I tried to confirm that use this morning but I could not get into the Grimaldi's websites outside of the Metro NY/NJ area. My recollection is that the Grimaldi locations that use the Carmelina tomatoes mention the Carmelina tomatoes right on the menus.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
Your deep bassy voice and how you explained everything about making the tomato sauce was excellent. 

Hmmm. You're not the first to mention "bassy". I use studio reference speakers for editing the audio so that I am hearing my voice exactly as it was recorded. Most people's computer speakers are juiced up in the bass and midtones for more impactful music playback. Maybe I should crack up the bass even more in the videos so I sound like Barry White.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
Norma,

Not that it really matters, but I wanted to mention that the Carmelina San Marzano tomatoes are not the DOPs. But, as Marco has pointed out before, there are some non-DOP San Marzano tomatoes that are as good as, and even better, than the SM DOPs.

Also, I know that at one time the Grimaldi's chain, at least outside of the Metro NY/NJ area, used the Carmelina SMs. I tried to confirm that use this morning but I could not get into the Grimaldi's websites outside of the Metro NY/NJ area. My recollection is that the Grimaldi locations that use the Carmelina tomatoes mention the Carmelina tomatoes right on the menus.

Peter

Peter,

I thought the Carmelina San Marzano tomatoes werenít DOP, because I didnít see anything on the cans that showed they might be.  Thanks for posting that Marco pointed out before that there are some non-DOP San Marzano tomatoes that are good, or even better than SM DOPs.

I also just tried to go on the Grimaldiís website and they wouldnít load for me right now either for the locations out of the Metro NY/NJ area. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »
Hmmm. You're not the first to mention "bassy". I use studio reference speakers for editing the audio so that I am hearing my voice exactly as it was recorded. Most people's computer speakers are juiced up in the bass and midtones for more impactful music playback. Maybe I should crack up the bass even more in the videos so I sound like Barry White.

Bill,

I donít know what studio reference speakers are for editing the audio, but I do remember when I was a lot younger we had a Wollensak Reel to Reel tape recorder at home.  That was the first time I ever heard my voice in how other people hear me.  It really upset me and even until this day I hate speaking in front of anyone, because I know what my voice sounds like.  It also cured me of singing in front of other people, because to myself I thought I sounded okay when singing, but after listening to me sing, I knew I was way off key.  :-D  I still have those tapes from the tape recorder from many years ago, but sure donít listen to them.

I think listeners want to hear someone that they feel comfortable listening to and you've got to have that sincerity in your voice.  When I listen to your speaking it makes me secure you know what you are talking about.  The bassy voice is also interesting to listen to.  You have that bassy voice and I guess also the romantic image from what you have described how you look from another post.  Who needs Barry White when we have you here on the forum.  ;D

Norma