Author Topic: Wood and Rain?  (Read 564 times)

Offline flyboy4ual

Wood and Rain?
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Hi,

Just curious if I have a pile of dry wood for my oven and it gets rained on, Is it considered not dried out anymore?

Scott D.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Wood and Rain?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
It's only going to wet the outer surface. It will dry quickly. That being said, it is best to keep it covered and off the ground.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
There's seasoned wood and unseasoned, or "green" wood. Then there's environmental moisture such as rain. Seasoning wood takes a long time, where as seasoned wet wood will dry in a matter of weeks, all dependent on environmental conditions of course.

I have two piles of wood. One is last year's wood and is chopped and stacked against the wall in my garage. The other is this year's wood (cut to length, but not yet chopped) and is out in the elements with ample direct sunlight for seasoning.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I have two piles of wood. One is last year's wood and is chopped and stacked against the wall in my garage. The other is this year's wood (cut to length, but not yet chopped) and is out in the elements with ample direct sunlight for seasoning.

You will cut the seasoning time dramatically if you chop it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
You will cut the seasoning time dramatically if you chop it.

I'm sure you're right. Air flowing over more surface = quicker seasoning. I ended chopping up all my wood last winter and it was more than enough to carry me through this year. Plus, chopping wood in the summer months sucks around here! I usually collect downed trees in the stormy months of spring/summer and chop in the cool of fall/winter. Warms ya twice!

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »
Splitting firewood with a 12 lb. maul in the summer is for the birds. I kinda like splitting in the winter though. It can be relaxing. We heat out house with a wood furnace in the basement though, so no option other than to split it really.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
Chopping? Mauls? You guys need to get serious about your wood splitting...  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
Chopping? Mauls? You guys need to get serious about your wood splitting...  :-D

Your cactus burner fire starting led me to think you're probably not choppin your wood out back. Do you own that thing or just rent one when you need it?

I make an event out of wood chopping. Nothing better than getting a group together and take turns chopping as you get winded, all the while talking sh!t about each other's chopping techniques. It's also very therapeutic and a great stress reliever. Until, that is, you get that one impossible-to-chop piece that can have the complete opposite effect. Nothing worse than that thud you hear when you bounce off a gnarled hunk of wood after your best swing.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I've chopped my share of wood, and still do when camping, hunting, etc. But when the wood comes in cords, I'm using the hydraulic splitter (usually with a second person who feeds me logs/pieces) which belongs to my dad. Between the two of us, we make plenty of use of it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
And don't get em wrong, I wouldn't kick that thing out of bed. It just ain't in my bag of tricks, and I'm a firm believer in living within my means.

Getting a wood fired oven last fall, this is the first time I've really found value in wood. Now all I see is firewood everywhere I look... and I want it all  >:D

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
Me and dad always split the chopping up though, I've never actually been with him where we used both his mauls at the same time. That said, whenever we come to one that won't split easily he takes the thing and busts it in two swings usually. I have fairly good accuracy, but I don't think I'll ever be able to come down with a maul like him. He's heated our house with one of these for the past 25 years so I guess practice makes perfect.

I bet he wouldn't have had so much practice though if the heater wasn't so efficient. Two or three 2' logs from a quartered tree a day and the house will stay at 77 even if it's below freezing outside. Looks kinda like this one.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Craig when you use the splitter and you get a log with a knot will it go threw it? I was using a 25 or 30ton and there was a knot that I just couldn't get threw. I tried different parts of the piece and still nothing. Just wondering how you would do it if encountering something like that.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Craig when you use the splitter and you get a log with a knot will it go threw it? I was using a 25 or 30ton and there was a knot that I just couldn't get threw. I tried different parts of the piece and still nothing. Just wondering how you would do it if encountering something like that.

Yes, it will go right through it. Be sure the knot is at the bottom so you get the full mechanical advantage of the splitter's wedge. Sometimes the log will separate, but not come apart. Usually if you then turn it 90degrees and go again, that will do the trick. Else, pull it out and give it a whack with an ax to cut the fibers holding it together.
Pizza is not bread.