Author Topic: A Quick Question on This Pizza Dough  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Casanova

• Arrivederci, Baby!
A Quick Question on This Pizza Dough
« on: November 19, 2005, 07:53:48 AM »
Hi Guys & Gals,

I received the following recipe for a pizza dough that is intended to be used to make Garlic Knots. In case some of you were wondering, they're a soft roll covered in melted butter and minced garlic. Many Italian restaurants serve them as freebies with your meal and some pizzerias sell them as appetizers. Anyway, my question is this: Now, I can probably figure out how to measure 5/8 oz. of non-fat dry milk since it is a dry measurement, but how the heck do I measure 3/8 oz. of egg yolks without some kind of scale? Just to let you know - - if I don't get back to you for a few hours, it'll be because it's now 7:54 a.m. and I'm just now posting this and then going to bed for the "night". Well, for a few hours, anyway.....LOL Thanks, all.

Garlic Knots

Ingredients:
16 oz medium-gluten flour
8 1/2 oz water
2 1/2 t active dry yeast
1 1/4 oz sugar
3/4 t salt
5/8 oz non-fat dry milk
3/8 oz egg yolks
1 1/4 oz oil

Yield: Approx. 29 oz

Some believe it when they see it; others see it when they believe it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: A Quick Question on This Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 10:33:13 AM »
Casanova,

The last time I weighed an egg, I got 0.70 ounces for the yolk (of a large egg). So 3/8 ounce (0.375) will be about half of a yolk. I would just use the whole yolk. You won't notice it in the quantities of ingredients you are using.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:35:54 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »
CASANOVA:
   Good morning. Peter is correct. Industry standard is a large egg weighs 1.68 oz. (1 11/16 oz). Now then, the white weighs 1, oz. Sooo the yolk weighs approx 2X the 3/8 of an oz called for in your recipe. This is what you can do.... just double the recipe. Then do the fermenentation & any proofing you require ( PROOFING NOT REQUIRED IN A THIN CRUST PIZZA). Then & "ONLY" then, freeze the dough you do not presently need..
Just a thought for you. Good luck & have a nice day my friend.
 NOTE:  If you freeze yeasted lean bread dough, always add sugar in the recipe, othwise it is not required. Only a option.

~DINKS.

Offline Casanova

• Arrivederci, Baby!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 06:59:35 PM »
Thanks Peter and Dinks. I knew I could count on ya. I gotta try this recipe and see how it comes out. Man, I just LOVE these rolls - they melt in your mouth! And they're great dipped in some marinara sauce, too.

Rick
Some believe it when they see it; others see it when they believe it.

pizzapan