Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

San Marzano Tomatoes
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Hi Folks,
I found these in a local supermarket tucked away on a bottom shelf for some reason  ::). After reading so much about them on here I thought I'd never get a proper can of toms here in Ireland but what a difference they make to my sauce. The question I have is in every can I've opened there is one or two "leaves" like tomato leaves, is this normal for these???

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-San-Marzano-Tomatoes-D-O-P/dp/B006FW0NMW/?tag=pizzamaking-20
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: San Marzano Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
Yes, that is basil.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
I remember reading some time ago that the basil leaves in canned San Marzano tomatoes are not for flavor or similar purposes. After all, how much flavor can two shriveled leafs of basil provide in a can that is 28 ounces or more. My recollection is that there were tariff reasons for the basil. It took me a while to research this matter but I found this at Chowhound: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/551713. If the Chowhound explanation is correct, then it appears that adding basil leafs to the San Marzano tomatoes makes the combination a "sauce", or something similar, and that may mean lower tariffs.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
I have noticed a meaningful (negative) flavor difference in the Cento Italian (35oz) cans that don't have a leaf.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
I've heard it's to preserve the fresh "vine" taste and reduce the canned flavour. But that could well be total bs.

Brendan

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
To be honest it looks more like a vine than basil (that's to my untrained eye) ;D
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

pizzapan