Author Topic: trying to incorporate a reball into a commercial setting  (Read 864 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

trying to incorporate a reball into a commercial setting
« on: October 12, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
  Ive been reading the thread bulk fermentation on a basic dough and from what I read and what other members are reporting I really want to try to incorporate a reball into dough making process. However I wanted to see if anyone thinks thats possible.
  Could I just weigh the dough in pieces but not ball it today then tomorrow morning I could ball all the dough and hopefully use it by the end of the day. But on the other hand what if Im busy and I need to get into todays dough it might pose a problem not having the dough ready to go.
 What do you think?

Im asking because I have an opportunity to get my own pizza place in the near future and I want to put out my best. 
Jamie

Offline TXCraig1

Re: trying to incorporate a reball into a commercial setting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
What sort of pizza are you interested pursuing professionally?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
Jamie,

I had thought of trying reballing my dough, but it wouldnít work out well for me since I would have had to get to market too early in the morning.  I would think the dough after reballing needs enough time to relax. 

Johnís (fazzari) thread showed reballing a dough ball did work, but I would think there might be problems if you need the dough balls before they are ready.  Johnís pizzas looked delicious.

Best of luck if you decide to open your own pizzeria! 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
Well I want to make a hand stretched pizza cooked in a deck oven I dont to no pans or anything just straight on the deck and put a screen under if the top needs some more cooking.
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
 Norma how long is enough time to relax the dough and how big is my time frame to use the dough after its been reballed?
Jamie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
Norma how long is enough time to relax the dough and how big is my time frame to use the dough after its been reballed?

Jamie,

I really donít know, but here are some of Johnís thoughts.  John also has other posts on another thread.

This is Johnís (fazzari) thread about reballing. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.0.html   These are some of Johnís thoughts at Reply 23 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.msg162859.html#msg162859  and Reply 40 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.msg168842.html#msg168842  and at Reply 47 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.msg169797.html#msg169797

This is what Peter ask at Reply 27 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16618.msg162894.html#msg162894

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
Jamie, I generally recommend a minimum of 5 hours between balling and forming to allow the dough to relax.

Bulk fermenting achieves the same goals as re-balling and is far more easier to implement in a commercial setting and takes up far less precious walk in space.

If the logistics allow it, I feel that this is the ideal scenario:

00:00 Make dough, bulk
24:00 Ball
48:00 Form

If you ball the dough in the early afternoon, this allows you, if you run short, to use the dough that day, if you have to.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Norma thanks for the links it makes me want to perfect this method even more.

Scott, That sounds like a good plan would my yeast level need to be lowered because of the mass effect. I would be making a big mass of dough.
 Balling a bulk fermented dough would be much easier then scaling balling then reballing.

Jamie

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Well the best pizza is subjective...

I occasionally reball overproofed dough and give it a few hours at room temp so that it can stretch.