Author Topic: Round Table Pizza pt 4  (Read 2201 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Round Table Pizza pt 4
« on: October 12, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
Hope you can read this

Bill

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Re: Round Table Pizza pt 4
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
try again

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
That second one came through nicely.  I was able to quency an RT fix last month when we were in South San Francisco and Monterey, CA.  It will probably be quite awhile before I get to do that again. :'(

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »
try again
Would you please elaborate on your posting this Bill....thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
Thanks for archiving this Bill. So doing some simple math RT dough is ~45% hydration and Shakey's is ~36% If we are to believe that ingredients are listed in the order of their abundance, RT has more salt and adds the dry milk, Shakey's has more shortening and no dry milk.

The additives on the Shakey's bag must be dough conditioners right? 36% is so low in hydration.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:56:22 AM by DNA Dan »

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
I don't know why Shakey's shows less water, except I believe that Shakey's possibly uses a softer flour like 00 or AP.

Chicago Bob  There were several Parts to the Round Table dough preparation, including directions from people who worked there.
If you do a query on my name or Round Table you should
find lots of material.

Both use sheeters. I use an Atlas pasta roller - about $50.

Bill

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
I don't know why Shakey's shows less water, except I believe that Shakey's possibly uses a softer flour like 00 or AP.

Chicago Bob  There were several Parts to the Round Table dough preparation, including directions from people who worked there.
If you do a query on my name or Round Table you should
find lots of material.

Both use sheeters. I use an Atlas pasta roller - about $50.

Bill
Thanks so much Bill. I know about your extensive work on this and appreciate it. I jus thought maybe you were about to post a formula.  :o
Nice about the pasta roller info...preciate that.Thanks

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
This completely makes sense to me now. The Shakeys mix definitely needs to be a weaker flour. There's no way they are driving AT or high gluten flour that low in hydration. Also looking where the RT formulation sits, I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed Mondako or something slightly stronger. There's definitely something to be said for the amount of gluten formation in these doughs, and I have realized I get better layer separation from a weaker flour and a low hydration, than I do from a flour like AT at a higher hydration. This dough does not need more "chew" and extensibility as a strong flour would support. I have a new direciton now taking the Mondako down to 36%. If others are interested I can post the results in the Shakey's thread.

FWIW, I have done Mondako flour at 50% hydration which is similar to the RT hydration. Those results can be seen here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13389.80.html in reply #94
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:05:29 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
Thanks for archiving this Bill. So doing some simple math RT dough is ~45% hydration and Shakey's is ~36% If we are to believe that ingredients are listed in the order of their abundance, RT has more salt and adds the dry milk, Shakey's has more shortening and no dry milk.

The additives on the Shakey's bag must be dough conditioners right? 36% is so low in hydration.
Dan,
How do you come up with 36% hydration on the Shakey's dough?

Offline La Sera

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
You don't know the hydration because you don't know the weight of the flour only in the total ingredients list. You only know the ration of water to the total weight of the dry ingredients.

(And I would not eat anything with non-fermented soy product in it. Humans have know for centuries that it's inedible until the soybean industry planted the myth that it's edible and healthy. It's neither.)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
You don't know the hydration because you don't know the weight of the flour only in the total ingredients list. You only know the ration of water to the total weight of the dry ingredients.

Correct, so....it could prolly be another 4-6%...no?

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »
I am assuming rough estimates here based on the fact that the other ingredients are in such low abundance their effect is minimal. Even residue in the bowl might account for some of this too. It might be a poor assumption, but that is why I used the ~ sign.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »
I think 96% of total weight being flour is reasonable.

pizzapan