Author Topic: Cracker Style for busy shop  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Cracker Style for busy shop
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
Simon, I'd really like to help if I can, but I feel like I've lost track of your objective and I've been saying a bunch of stuff that isn't very helpful. So for the time being I'm gonna back off to keep from creating any new confusion. I just don't want to tell you things that aren't useful, and I feel like I may be doing that.

I'll go back through the entire thread later today to see if I can get a better idea of what's going on with you because I get the feeling you could really use some help, and I don't want to abandon you if there's any way I can help.

Are you in South Africa?
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline FredFlin

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 01:28:21 AM »
Please and Thanks Ryan, I'll appreciate any help you can give. Once you read the thread if there is anything confusing please ask.

Yes SA Cape Town

Picture of Dough mixed Friday night (white bread 36% hydration) not a lot of rising and we had to add water to work, it was very hard

Saturday we raised the hydration to 44% rose a bit more was easier to work, didn't have to add water before working, crispy base...

Gonna try 48% tonight?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:54:52 AM by FredFlin »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
Simon,

Having gone back through this thread, re-reading all the posts, here's what stands out to me.

I think a lot of us don't know how to respond to your issues because a lot of things just don't make sense to us. Like the fact that you're a franchisee, yet you seem to have the freedom to stray from the franchisor's standards. In my experience, franchisees never get to make the kind of decisions you're talking about making. Rather, every franchisee must offer a product that is virtually identical to what every other franchisee offers. For example, if I order a pizza from a Pizza Hut unit that I've never been to, I know it's going to taste and feel just like almost every other Pizza Hut pizza I've ever eaten.

So I think a lot of us are confused by your apparent freedom to make changes from the rest of the chain.

Also, 'WFO' and 'cracker' are not usually mentioned in the same sentence, nor are 'WFO' and 'franchise.' When I think of WFOs, the pizza that instantly comes to my mind is Neapolitan. And cracker crust is almost the last kind of pizza I would associate with a WFO. Furthermore, I'm inclined to assume a pizzeria with a WFO is an independent operator, rather than a franchisee. I figure the other people who have read and/or contributed to this thread are pretty much on the same page as me, which is probably a big reason why you don't seem to be receiving the kind of feedback you were hoping to receive.

Based on a lot of what you said early in the thread, I had the impression that you're part of a small chain, rather than a large chain. But then you mentioned using the same recipe for the last 30 years, which made me think it might be a reasonably large chain. So again, I'm confused, and I just can't make much sense of your circumstances.

I can't make much sense of your picture in Reply #10, either. It looks like it might be crackery, but it also appears to have some characteristics that resemble NY style.

Although I don't know much about cake flour (because I've never used it), I feel pretty confident advising not to use cake flour for a cracker crust. You said your only alternative is bread flour, which I consider very appropriate for cracker style.

Based on what you said in the first paragraph of Reply #24, I feel like you're probably looking to go with about 50% hydration; maybe upper 40s. If that ends up being true, and if you use oil, you may want to drop the hydration down into the mid 40s. But don't be afraid to try hydration percentages up to 55%, at least just to find out what happens if you go that high. After a lot of experimentation with cracker style crusts, I've found that sometimes you have to ignore your intuition, because sometimes your intuition is simply wrong.

Your dough picture (in the previous post) looks like it's in the neighborhood of 40% hydration to me. I think the earlier confusion regarding hydration percentage was just miscommunication.

Would you mind writing a new post that basically starts over, clearly stating your main objectives (in a numbered list), as well as addressing some of the issues I've indicated many of us may find confusing? And could you try to include as many details as possible? (Like oven temperature and stuff like that.)
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

pizzapan