Author Topic: cold rising with sour flavor  (Read 1058 times)

Offline air540g

cold rising with sour flavor
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »
I put my dough in refrigerator for 24hour cold rise.

1000g bread flour (bought from market,it is a mixed flour imported from Canada and USA, I think it is a bleached flour)
550g pure water
5g instant dry yeast ( saf-instant, made in france)
17g salt

Then 320g each.

I use pizza chain oven. 465.F temputre. 5minutes.   There is a sour flavor from my dough in this 5minutes.

After 5 minutes, the pizza is out from oven, no more sour flavor.

I have a pizza shop, but the  pizza dough is from dough company. They use cold rise . 2day cold rise in dough company. And then I can use the doughs for 4days in my shop.

The dough from dough company, no sour flavor out in that 5 minutes.

But my dough cames out sour flavor, if I sell 100 pizza in a day, I think there will be a serious sour flavor in my shop..

Is that yeast ferment gas flavor?   Or yeast in bleached flour gives sour flavor?  How to get ride of  this flavor during 5 minutes in oven?

if i add some baking powder or baking soda into dough,  can get rid of sour flavor?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:45:38 PM by air540g »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: cold rising with sour flavor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
Hello air540g,

The only time my dough has a sour smell or taste is when I use a special beer in the dough making process. Beers that have been aged in oak barrels, just like a fine wines.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.240.html

However, if I was paying a company to make dough for me, I would be directing my questions to them as to why your dough has a sour taste. Since it is their business to make dough and they certainly want to keep you as a customer, they will probably send a representative to visit your pizzeria to find out why this is happening.

Please let us know what you find out. I would be curious to know the reason why this is happening to your dough?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:59:19 PM by TomN »

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: cold rising with sour flavor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »
Have you ever considered perhaps making your own dough? You would have much more control of the end product as a result. Sure, price is a factor when considering the upfront cost of a mixer and all other additional related costs (flour, salt, yeast, labor) but in my opinion is well worth it in the end.

Considering the many factors that determine the shelf life of dough and also the fact that it doesn't last forever, it is very possible that they are mixing in some old dough with a fresh batch at the warehouse if they have some that is nearing it's end (I would assume that it would be cost effective for them to just mix any overstock in with new rather than throwing it out). It will certainly give a sour smell and flavor depending how much they reconstituted into the new batch. Even more so if it is in cold ferment for an extended period of time.

I hope you can get things resolved in a reasonable amount of time, especially seeing that you have a business to run.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

pizzapan