Author Topic: Kyrol hi-gluten flour  (Read 3024 times)

Offline eiram21

Re: Kyrol hi-gluten flour
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
Your deflector is upside down Marie... ;)
OMG, really Bob? So flipping it will make a big difference? Wow...
Honestly, I'm afraid to try this again, but I will just to see how it works
Marie

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
OMG, really Bob? So flipping it will make a big difference? Wow...
Honestly, I'm afraid to try this again, but I will just to see how it works
Well Marie...from here it looks to be a cake/brownie pan that is sitting inverted under your stone. Wouldn't that act as a sort of chamber to encapsulate MORE heat. If Scott suggested you try some sort of diffuser cause you were having bottom browning troubles....then flipping the pan upside down with the solid flat part of the pan facing down would help more in directing hot air away from the stone rather than trapping it,no?  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
Marie, air is an insulator. It's what saves people hundreds of dollars in fuel costs when utilized in double paned windows.  In order to prevent the intense heat from below going straight up into the stone and burning your undercrust, you need air between the deflector and the stone.

That's assuming, of course, you're attempting to use the pan as a deflector.  If you're just using it as a way of getting the stone closer to the ceiling, then it's kind of doing it's job, and you might be able to get better results with a lower pre-heat temp for the stone (perhaps 575-600), but, even then, with the shininess of the aluminum, you could easily see widely varying temps on the stone (considerably hotter on the edges).

Grill setups rely entirely on lower ceilings and, to a lesser extent, deflection. Raising the stone isn't really viable for a lower ceiling, imo.  If you want a lower ceiling, you have to add one.  And if you want deflection, the deflector must be larger than the stone (a considerably bigger pan) and there has to be air between the stone and deflector. The gap can be as little as 1/16", but it still has to be there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:04:55 PM by scott123 »

Offline eiram21

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
Ok - thank you both!! I'm going to try the oven this week, and save this info for some other time.

BTW, my crust was a little too chewy and I'd like to have a bit more crunch - would this mean I need to mix less or mix longer?

Marie
Marie